Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
rsaavedra

#211 Post by rsaavedra »

James C wrote:The Puppy installer doesn't automatically install grub and configure the menu lst because 1) some users want grub installed to the mbr while others choose to leave the mbr untouched and 2) some multi-boot users don't want to reinstall grub every time they install, its easier and faster to just edit the menu lst.
Good reasons to not have it "installed automatically." Not good reasons to simply not offer the user the option to install it right away, instead of asking the user to go ahead and install it afterwards, which is one of my points.
James C wrote:There are several ways to do a frugal install, and the resulting entry in the menu lst will be different as well.
True, but what difference does that make to my other point? I installed Puppy, whichever way, and then I choose to install grub. Said grub installation should *not* be left pointing to the Puppy files in the wrong folder, and should *not* be left with missing lines, as if I had installed Puppy a different way.

rjbrewer

#212 Post by rjbrewer »

rsaavedra wrote:
James C wrote:The Puppy installer doesn't automatically install grub and configure the menu lst because 1) some users want grub installed to the mbr while others choose to leave the mbr untouched and 2) some multi-boot users don't want to reinstall grub every time they install, its easier and faster to just edit the menu lst.
Good reasons to not have it "installed automatically." Not good reasons to simply not offer the user the option to install it right away, instead of asking the user to go ahead and install it afterwards, which is one of my points.
James C wrote:There are several ways to do a frugal install, and the resulting entry in the menu lst will be different as well.
True, but what difference does that make to my other point? I installed Puppy, whichever way, and then I choose to install grub. Said grub installation should *not* be left pointing to the Puppy files in the wrong folder, and should *not* be left with missing lines, as if I had installed Puppy a different way.
Just did a full install of Lucid to an old laptop.
Worked fine; same as every time since I started with 3.00.
No need to touch grub menu.lst.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mave

encrypted ext3-lupusave: broken files (?)

#213 Post by mave »

Hi,

testing encryption on a new Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 with lupusave-file within ext3 file format. After next starting desktop icons (and other) are gone. Look at the screenshot.

Did I fail reading a special info about ext3 and encryption or...? (doing ext2 is okay)

Cheers
Markus
Attachments
desktop-with-encrypted-ext3-lupusave.jpg
(36.32 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times

rsaavedra

#214 Post by rsaavedra »

rjbrewer wrote:Just did a full install of Lucid to an old laptop.
Good for you!

Was that a dual boot setup? (Mine was.)

I haven´t retried the installation, but once again, in my case with the latest version it wasn't the same as every time since I started installing Puppy years ago.

rjbrewer

#215 Post by rjbrewer »

rsaavedra wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:Just did a full install of Lucid to an old laptop.
Good for you!

Was that a dual boot setup? (Mine was.)

I haven´t retried the installation, but once again, in my case with the latest version it wasn't the same as every time since I started installing Puppy years ago.
1 install to empty drive
1 dual boot with another puppy
1 dual boot with Xp
1 triple boot with puppies and Xp

Full installs

rsaavedra

#216 Post by rsaavedra »

rjbrewer wrote:1 install to empty drive
1 dual boot with Xp
Hmm, and did you install Grub onto the MBR in any of those cases, in particular your 3rd case, dual boot with Xp, which would be the closest to my case?

rjbrewer

#217 Post by rjbrewer »

rsaavedra wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:1 install to empty drive
1 dual boot with Xp
Hmm, and did you install Grub onto the MBR in any of those cases, in particular your 3rd case, dual boot with Xp, which would be the closest to my case?
I've always installed Grub to MBR; with Win98, ME, Xp , and even Win 7
once. They were almost always fresh installs of Win, and just had a
single partition.
It's not too fashionable anymore, with things like Grub4Dos, LinNWin,
etc. being recommended very often.

Full installs

James C

#218 Post by James C »

rjbrewer wrote: I've always installed Grub to MBR; with Win98, ME, Xp , and even Win 7
single partition.
I always install grub to the MBR too.Single boot,dual boot,triple boot........right now my test box has Windows and 14 Linux installs. :lol:

Works fine for me every time.

rsaavedra

#219 Post by rsaavedra »

rjbrewer wrote:I've always installed Grub to MBR; with Win98, ME, Xp , and even Win 7
single partition.
Well, what I got does not seem easily reproduceable them.

One last question: under which folder did your vmlinuz file ended up located, under / or under /boot?

As I explained earlier, after the install my original (and wrong) menu.lst indicated that vmlinuz was allegedly under /boot, when it actually ended up under /. Why that happened I can't really tell, but it happened (together with the missing initrd line), and it wouldn't let Puppy launch right after installation.

I'll try to redo the installation. It was in an old Sony desktop PC that is not mine, so I'll have to get back to that place and retry the installation from scratch. Will report afterwards.

cinclus_cinclus

UnsolvedRe: [solved] compile error: Barry's patched 2.6.33.2

#220 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

cinclus_cinclus wrote:A large part of the kernel source doesn't build with the binutils v. 2.18 which are part of lupu_devx_501.sfs.

Install binutils v. 2.20.1 instead from the Puppy Package Manager of Lupu 501 for compiling Barry's patched 2.6.33.2 kernel-source.
The bug is always there in lucy203 and luci_devx_203.sfs.

Same remedy: use binutils 2.20.1 from Puppy Package Manager.

Tested by recompiling Barry's newest kernel-source (2.6.33.5) patched with BFS-scheduler-patch by Con Kolivas: 2.6.33-sched-bfs-318.patch.

WesH

Belkin Wireless USB Stick F5D7050 V1 ZD1211RW

#221 Post by WesH »

Hi, I installed 5.0.1 and have run into problems with connecting to my wireless network. It worked fine with 4.3.1 right out of the box.

I am using a Belkin Wireless USB Stick - F5D7050 V1, and trying to connect using the ZD1211RW Module.

When I try to scan for my non broadcasting wireless network its SSID appears as "\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00" instead of as hidden, and I am unable to connect to it.

When set to broadcast it appears as its normal name, but I am still unable to connect.

I suspect that something may have changed with ZD1211RW between 4.3.1 and 5.0.1.

I am very new to using Linux so I hope I provided enough relevant information, let me know if you have any suggestions or requests for more info.

-Wes

rjbrewer

Re: Belkin Wireless USB Stick F5D7050 V1 ZD1211RW

#222 Post by rjbrewer »

WesH wrote:Hi, I installed 5.0.1 and have run into problems with connecting to my wireless network. It worked fine with 4.3.1 right out of the box.

I am using a Belkin Wireless USB Stick - F5D7050 V1, and trying to connect using the ZD1211RW Module.

When I try to scan for my non broadcasting wireless network its SSID appears as "\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00" instead of as hidden, and I am unable to connect to it.

When set to broadcast it appears as its normal name, but I am still unable to connect.

I suspect that something may have changed with ZD1211RW between 4.3.1 and 5.0.1.

I am very new to using Linux so I hope I provided enough relevant information, let me know if you have any suggestions or requests for more info.

-Wes
I have that same wireless card.
Works on everything since before Puppy 3.00; including 5.01
Quirky, Wary.
Using WPA unhidden.
SNS (simple net setup) and network wizard both work.

Full installs

WesH

#223 Post by WesH »

rjbrewer wrote: I have that same wireless card.
Quirky, Wary.
Using WPA unhidden.
Thanks for the response.

I will burn a fresh copy of the .iso and do a fresh install to see if that fixes my problem.

rjbrewer

#224 Post by rjbrewer »

WesH wrote:
rjbrewer wrote: I have that same wireless card.
Quirky, Wary.
Using WPA unhidden.
Thanks for the response.

I will burn a fresh copy of the .iso and do a fresh install to see if that fixes my problem.
I did notice one strange thing with Lucid;

All the other Puppies show signal strength of 70/100 or better.
Lucid showed 20/100. Still connected, so I didn't pay it any mind.
Doubt if I'll be using any of these 5xx distros anyway.

Full installs

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#225 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

Just tried Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 on my Acer desktop, Pentium 4, 768mb RAM, 2 X 40gb HDDs. It installed OK, but Mplayer doesn't work and several programs can't see any Hard Drives, the CD Drive or USB Sticks that are plugged-in. Below is are a few examples.

1. Console command df -h shows sdb1 has 37.00 gb with 4gb free space
2. Lupu's Gparted indicates that -- sdb1 has 31.49 gb Unallocated Space
3. Lupu's Pmount indicates that --- sdb1 has 31.50 gb with 4gb free space
4. Lupu's ROX Filer indicates that sdb1 is full of movie files

The following screenshot refers.
Last edited by looseSCREWorTWO on Fri 25 Jun 2010, 06:17, edited 7 times in total.
Steve

jemimah

#226 Post by jemimah »

Someone mentioned on another forum that Chromium was crashing the kernel in Lupu. I don't have time at the moment to test it, but I though I'd post the solution here.

Chrome makes heavy use of /dev/shm in a way that generally kills AUFS after a short time. The solution is to mount some tmpfs onto /dev/shm so that the shared memory is not inside the AUFS union.

I fix it in my puplets, by adding 'mount -t tmpfs none /dev/shm' to my sysinit script. I mentioned this problem to Barry earlier, so LuPu may already have the fix - reading the post about Chromium crashing makes me think it might not be there.

puprag

#227 Post by puprag »

when recording Sweep audio editor is getting maxed out to 100% with lucid pup 5.0.0, not tried 5.0.1 but Xorg is taking up like 70% of the cpu? when recording with sweep, had different results with different cpu's amd got down to 50% but intel is maxed out to a 100 no matter what I have tried.

playdayz

#228 Post by playdayz »

I *think* the problem with Chromium is in the testing version of luci-202 and 203. The reason for it is that Chromium 5, the one in Quickpet, seems to crash with the gecko-mediaplayer browser plugins--which are being tested in luci-203 as part of mplayer, which is to replace gxine.

If you are having any trouble with gxine you might want to take an early look at mplayer. In the tests it is looking very good.

So here are gnome-mplayer and mplayer. You need to install both. Gnome-mplayer is a frontend for mplayer--gnome-mplayer has two problems we know about: 1) it does not do full screen properly, and 2) it does not do DVDs with Menus. Other than that it seems to work. On the plus side, it is drag and drop onto the desktop icon, or open the program and look for files of course. I haven't been testing on 5.0.1 but I just run through some quick tests and it played everything that the 5.1 version plays--which is everything I have tried.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/g ... -Lucid.pet
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/m ... 1.0rc3.pet

I regard this as a hot fix for people who have been having trouble with gxine. But as I have said--no update is without some risk, so please back up everything important.

Oh yes, I think it will make Chromium 5 crash, so if you want to use both you should go to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and delete the 4 gecko-mediaplayer plugins.

It develops that gnome-mplayer, the frontend for mplayer, will play the videos full screen if the High Performance graphics are enabled. This is another upcoming feature in 5.1. High Performance is just a fun way to say that the graphics use hardware acceleration, and so they can be 10 times or more faster than basic graphics.

This package is for Radeon, Intel, and most other graphics chips except Nvidia. To install, download the pet, click to install, and then Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart the X server. After that you can open a terminal and enter 'glxgears' to see that things are working. All graphics *might* be more stable when the High Performance option is enabled. That might sound counter-intuitive but I believe that most software is probably tested on the High Performance graphics--because those would be standard in some popular distributions.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/x ... 1-lupu.pet

The only oddness I know of about the xorg_full graphics is that you need to already have a lupusave file created--so that means don't install them the first time you boot up--wait until you have shut down and created a lupusave file.

rsaavedra

#229 Post by rsaavedra »

Ok I went to my parents place where the Sony PC I talked about was, and was able to replicate installation options that produce a non-booting Puppy.

I'm sure you guys ought to reproduce this and get exactly the same results if choosing these options. Whoever has a chance to try them, if you also get the problem please indicate so; if you get a different result, please also indicate so.

First of all, and just in case, the machine has a WinXP installation on one ntfs partition, then there's another ntfs partition with just data, then there's a logical partition which has inside just two partitions: a linux-swap, and the one partition for Puppy. (I really don't think the partition arrangement matters, but the dual boot setup aspect ought to matter.)

Booted Puppy from the CD with the puppy pfix=ram option, so as not to be affected by whatever puppy was on the harddrive already. Reformatted that latter partition above, so no more Puppy in the machine's harddrive. Turned on the boot flag of that partition.

Then here's exactly an enumeration of all the options I chose to get the problematic installation. As you'll see, it was actually a FRUGAL, not a FULL install what I had done. I had mentioned "full" because there was nothing else on the partition, and the partition was going to be exclusively for Puppy; but even so, I think the installation option I had chosen was Frugal, not Full. Here are the options:

- Install icon (on Desktop)
- Click button to run the Universal Installer [doggy button]
- Internal (IDE or SATA) hard drive [OK]
- sda ATA ... 18.6 GiB [OK] (Size here will depend on your harddrive, of course)
- sda6 size 6.174 GiB, install Puppy to sda6: [doggy button] (partition and size will depend on your particular config, of course)
- You have chosen ... on /dev/sda6 which has ext3 filesystem... and size is ... [OK]
- ... [CD]
- ... [OK]
- ... [FRUGAL]
- ... puppy500 [OK]
<A NicoEdit window pops up showing menu.lst text. I ignore it and simply close it.>
- "If you do not have GRUB or GRUB4DOS installed, just click OK, then go to system menu and run the GRUB or GRUB4DOS installer" [OK]
- "Okay, all done" [OK]

- Menu -> System -> Grub bootloader config
- Simple [OK]
- Standard (frame buffer console) [OK]
- "Where do you want grub files to go?" /dev/sda6 [OK]
- MBR (possibly unsafe) [OK]
- "Grub successfully installed on MBR..." [OK]

- Menu -> Shutdown -> Reboot computer
- [DO NOT SAVE]

Machine reboots. Grub menu appears. I select the "Linux on /dev/sda6" option, and get:

Error 15: File not found

And the machine halts. Puppy never boots.

Those however can't be exactly the same options I originally had run which left the Puppy install unbootable, because with these options above I did not get the kernel panic message. Still, they yield a non-bootable Puppy. That suggests there are more than one set of install options that leave Puppy non-bootable, because of (easy to fix, yet annoying and boot-fatal) misconfigurations in menu.lst.

Once again, properly editing menu.lst fixes these problems, but in any case, the installation does not boot "as is" with those options, and this problem is extremely likely to put off newbies who happen to try those install options.

8-bit

#230 Post by 8-bit »

I have installed a few packages on Lucid Puppy 5.0 and have had support files disappear.
The thing is that I do not know why those files disappeared.
Is it just me and my frugal install, or have others had that problem?
Any idea what is causing it?

Also, after installing my xerox p12 lazer printer, I find that abiword sees the paper type as A4 even though I had set it up as letter in CUPS printer options.
Also, paper type selection is grayed out in abiword.
I can print a test page in cups just fine, but if I try to print the printer test file in abiword, the printer errors out and I have to restart it.
EDIT!
After a reboot of Puppy, the paper size/type works in abiword.
So that one is a false report.
Sorry for it.