Fonts....an Ah Ha Moment

Booting, installing, newbie
DaveS

Fonts....an Ah Ha Moment

#1 Post by DaveS »

So I have been using Puppy now for a couple of years, pretty much exclusively, but it always bugged me that fonts dont display as well as in other distros, principally Ubuntu. I use a laptop with an LCD, so fonts are a bit of a challenge anyway.
So I downloaded Lucid and as usual, font display is excellent. Looking at settings, I noticed the global font size is set to 96. This is usual for Ubuntu, but high for Puppy. A little more research led me to an article describing how to set up the 'perfect' desktop in Hardy. Rec for LCD, 96 dpi!
Armed with this possible misinformation, I duly set the global font size in Puppy to 96 dpi. The result was huge fonts everywhere. BUT, this time, instead of dropping back to a smaller DPI, I reduced the point size in jwm, GTK Theme, browser prefs and css. Result, great font rendering. DUH!!!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

PaulBx1

#2 Post by PaulBx1 »

Might not be a bad thing to make a how-to with a more detailed description...

Artie

#3 Post by Artie »

Yes please a how-to would be very nice! :)

Artie

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

PaulBx1 wrote:Might not be a bad thing to make a how-to with a more detailed description...
OK, HOW TO:

Note: give this a try, it makes no changes to your system that cannot be reverted:

First, change the Global Font size on your system from Menu>Desktop>Set Global Font Size. Set it to 96 dpi.
Next, you must re-start X to make this take effect, Menu>Shutdown>Restart X Server

OK, so now your various fonts will probably be displaying oversize

So next, set the GTK dialogue font size:
Menu>Desktop>Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser. From the pop-up choose the font you want and set the size. Set it via the 'font' button, bottom left.

This applies instantly, so you dont need to re-start anything.

That should pretty much do it unless you are using Stardust, 4.4, or the Dude desktop environment.

For these , setting the GTK font size is more obscure: Start Puppy Control Centre. Select the Desktop Tab, select 'Themes' and click the name of the theme you are using:

Then, beside the entry 'Program Decoration GTK', hit the 'More' button.

This will bring up the theme dock:

IMPORTANT: In the drop down theme list, ensure you set the one you are using, it is not done by default.

Hit the big '+' button on the right. This will expand the dialogue to include font setting:

The 'browse' button brings up your options.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Max Headroom

Help I'm Trying 2 Apply Y'r Tweaks 2 NOP 4.3.1

#5 Post by Max Headroom »

Help I'm Trying 2 Apply Y'r Tweaks 2 NOP 4.3.1, But Can't see Gtk+ 2.0 Change Theme App, Menu>Desktop>Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser, or Anywhere in the Menu, of course perhaps this App has been Substituted by Another Altho I Don't kNo' Wot, I've 'Xplored the XFCE Settings Manager, I Even Downloaded & installed a Zigberts StarDust Theme from PPM & Restarted X, Any Suggestions Please... 8)

DaveS

Re: Help I'm Trying 2 Apply Y'r Tweaks 2 NOP 4.3.1

#6 Post by DaveS »

Max Headroom wrote:Help I'm Trying 2 Apply Y'r Tweaks 2 NOP 4.3.1, But Can't see Gtk+ 2.0 Change Theme App, Menu>Desktop>Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser, or Anywhere in the Menu, of course perhaps this App has been Substituted by Another Altho I Don't kNo' Wot, I've 'Xplored the XFCE Settings Manager, I Even Downloaded & installed a Zigberts StarDust Theme from PPM & Restarted X, Any Suggestions Please... 8)
In NOP Puppies, the fonts are controlled by the xfce desktop environment, so these tweaks do not apply. Sorry.............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

VraiChevalier

Fonts....an Ah Ha Moment

#7 Post by VraiChevalier »

Thank you DaveS

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

See Barry's blog on Ubuntu font size: 96 dots per inch

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.