Puppy 5.1 to 6

News, happenings
its-me-again

#151 Post by its-me-again »

tronkel wrote:Nooby wrote:

Well, OK there's a start about making some sense out of this.

How about implementing a hybrid project that might be called "Puppy Unity", or "Unity Puppy" ,"Puppy Unified" or even "Puppy Noobie" etc. etc.

This version would contain the best parts of several Puppy versions.
i.e. bits of Lupu (Quickpet etc.), Quirky and Macpup.

The end result would be way over the usual Puppy size limit. At this point, Ttuuxxx gets called in and applies the scissors in the usual way.

This resultant puplet might be the one to recommend to newcomers.
I think you are onto something. Have youy seen Lighthouse Puppy is kind of what you are saying. a full os more stuff than other puppies. its kinda like a full os equil to ubuntu etc. its built on slackware adn 431 adn woo. adn it has lots of other neet stuff. its the only puppy that can load 40 sfs files at once. http://www.lhpup.org/about.htm

christhi

#152 Post by christhi »

As a reply to another poster, the fixed numbering scheme in development is a bad idea. It's not that useful, and it's one of the main reasons why actually Ubuntu had to many bugs in the past during its official releases.

Since Ubuntu has a stick rock hard schedule of releasing a new version every 6 months, they'll release something whether of not it's stable, so it's nonsense. That, unless you like spending half of your computer uptime trying to solve bugs, then eventually de-installing out of frustration.

Moreover, Ubuntu's not really a good example to follow in general, especially for such a DIY, grasroots distro as Puppy (opposed to the huge costly organization behind Ubuntu).

My idea for 6.0: Slack+Deb/Ubuntu+Fedora compatibility... all in the same distro!

How's that?

Keep up the good work, devs!

christhi

#153 Post by christhi »

As a reply to another poster, the fixed numbering scheme in development is not a very good idea.

It's not that useful, while being one of the main reasons why Ubuntu had to many bugs in the past during its official releases. I say that because I myself have experienced some very stupid problems (like Xorg not even working!) during much awaited final releases.

Since Ubuntu has a fixed rock hard schedule of releasing a new version every 6 months, they'll release something whether of not it's stable, so it's nonsense. That, unless you like spending half of your computer uptime trying to solve bugs, then eventually de-installing out of frustration. They also always seemed to attempt cramming up as much software on a 700 Mb cdrom ISO that they seem to be doing it without even considering the basics... like huge, needless fancy programs, while you don't even have small, useful, web apps like ssl, mySQL, Apache, sometimes even the whole suite of compilers.

Moreover, Ubuntu's not really a good example to follow in general, especially for such a DIY, grasroots distro as Puppy (opposed to the huge costly organization behind Ubuntu).

Ok now I'll calm down.. ;)

My idea for 6.0: Slack+Deb/Ubuntu+Fedora compatibility... all in the same distro!

How's that?

Keep up the good work, devs!

Q5sys

#154 Post by Q5sys »

RetroTechGuy wrote: I suspect, however, that offers of good beer or Scotch might allow you to bribe some of them to work on your desired goals... ;)
I never understood why people who want specific work arent willing to drop some $ to get it. I've offered several of the devs here to do specific work for me for $. Some have respectfully declined saying that they arent doing it for the money, but for their personal goals. Others have been more than happy to do certain work when they have time. And I think thats the way it should be. If you want a dev to do 'your' work instead of 'their' work, give them some incentive.
Im always up for offering $ for projects I want to do but dont have the skill to do. I just wish I had a few million so I could really get some work done. haha. :P