Quirky 100 volume control doesn't always work

Please post any bugs you have found
capoverde

#1 Post by capoverde »

Updating from Quirky 018 (boot from Live-CD with savefile + Quirky-018.sfs on HD partition), my previous desktop settings (background, icon style, window style) were lost, although the added background image was still found in /usr/share/backgrounds.

The drive capacity appearing when the mouse cursor hovers on a drive icon finally shows correct values, and the taskbar shows all active apps in each desktop (not so in 018). However, in the main tray the CPU activity indicator is still permanently at 100% as in Quirky 018. The free vs. total storage space indicator is real cool!

This seems odd: playing audio files with mhWaveEdit allows the volume to be controlled normally from Retrovol and/or Alsamixer (PCM), while using Pmusic the level remains unchanged (loud) at all settings -- but does disappear by checking off the PCM tab in Retrovol!
Worse still, the volume control in the main tray never changes anything, even setting it at zero level - to be sure, this mainboard (Asrock 775i65GV) uses the infamous Intel 82801 audio system.

No-go at all with Gnome-Mplayer and Precord: the latter seems to start but stops immediately, MPlayer shows no reaction at all (no tweaking of its settings tried yet).

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Worse still, the volume control in the main tray never changes anything, even setting it at zero level - to be sure, this mainboard (Asrock 775i65GV) uses the infamous Intel 82801 audio system.
Open the Retrovol config settings. You may find that the bar graph shown by Retrovol represents the wrong audio component. Some other component may actually be controlling the volume.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Open the Retrovol config settings. You may find that the bar graph shown by Retrovol represents the wrong audio component. Some other component may actually be controlling the volume.
Yes, and if you do find a fix, report it to pizzasgood, the author of Retrovol -- perhaps he can put in a workaround in the code.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

cebobbitt

#4 Post by cebobbitt »

Ok, all went well, thanks to all that replied!!

upnorth

retrovol tray control

#5 Post by upnorth »

RE: retrovol tray control

check .retrovolrc

# Which slider to link with the tray_icon, identified by numid
#tray_control=37
tray_control=2

2 is working for me. But pizzasgood has some info on thread about controls, numid, and .retrovolrc

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... fe5#415176

type command "amixer controls" in terminal for legend of numids and controls. You may need to delete .retrovolrc so it rebuilds.

capoverde

#6 Post by capoverde »

Thanks rcrsn51 and Barry, no success trying to reconfigure Retrovol's controls the "easy way" (from Retrovol's File-->Configure options).

Possibly Upnorth's subtler tweaking will do the job, but first it seems essential to read (and understand!) all the docs carefully: things look touchy this way... OK, just some patience.