Macpup Opera 2.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#76 Post by runtt21 »

What you talking about would be to build a firefox.sfs that could be used by lots of different pup. But .sfs are read only, if you bookmarked something new in one pup , the others would not have it.

nooby

#77 Post by nooby »

Yes and No??? maybe I fail to grasp what he says. Look here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... 004#398004
I currently have 11 Puppies...All in 1 partition, (in my case sda3) we`ll call it /mnt/home..OK? So I moved /usr/lib/mozilla and /usr/lib/firefox to /mnt/home..(sda3) and symlinked them back to their original locations in the particular Puppy I was in...I then went through the Pups I use most, and deleted /usr/lib/mozilla and /usr/lib/firefox and linked the ones from /mnt/home (sda3) to their places...

Long story short, all my Pups share ONE Firefox, which also helps because the browser cache is outside your pupsave..
Worth considering....

Symlinking. I have been using puppy now since Dec 2009 and also for months in 2008 and still have no clue on how to do symlinking.
I tried many times but simply fail to get how it is done.

Yes worth considering and I have asked for further details but both puppyluvr and Beem trust that their descriptions are enough detailed for anyone to grasp so I have to find somebody else that can explain it to me.

If their approach does retain the profile and bookmarks and settings and such that is a very good thing.

Not only a portable app but one that retain the personality the usr set up.

Here is what Beem wrote.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 024#398024

Quote:
Just move the directories with the help of two rox windows, so that they are now in /mnt/home.
Then you drag the directory with the mouse back to where it came from, but instead of moving, you create a symlink by means of the little menu.

I have tried to get what these too friendly and helpful guys suggest but it is still beyond my capacity to grasp.
sounds very similar to your suggestion?

Why would he suggest it if it failed to retain his settings?

Would it not be very good to have in your next macpup? Or even in a update on the current one preferably?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

WhoDo

#78 Post by WhoDo »

nooby wrote:Symlinking. I have been using puppy now since Dec 2009 and also for months in 2008 and still have no clue on how to do symlinking.
I tried many times but simply fail to get how it is done.
Look here for the command line version:
http://linux.byexamples.com/archives/19 ... e-symlink/

In Puppy you can also use the Shift key (I think) with your mouse to click and drag a file to symlink it to a location. It's exactly the same process, at least notionally, as creating a shortcut in Window$. Symlink is a contraction for Symbolic Link, which is another way of saying Shortcut.

Don't forget that the symlink will need to be recreated for each new installation of Puppy so your browser and mail can find it i.e. the installed directories will need to be deleted first and then their replacements created as symlinks to the directories you have on the partition outside the puppy compressed files.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 01 May 2010, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#79 Post by nooby »

sorry to derail the thread.

I try your suggestion tomorrow it is late at night here now.

Sorry, have you tried to follow that description yourself and get it working?
I mean to move the necessary Firefox outside of pupsave maybe to mnt/home and then to make a link back to the proper place so when one click on meny or default browser then the moved directories should start up from each puppie that you have changed this way?

runtt21

#80 Post by runtt21 »

I read through that thread and to do what you want you would need to move the media players and their plugins . And then make a TON of symlinks to everything. This just seems crude to me. If all of your pups dont have the libs that each player needs they will need to be added as well. And the pups will need glib and dbus that match the one lighthouse has. Most pups dont have dbus and if they do its an older one that is stripped down. Macpup uses the full version of the newest dbus.

You can have bookmarks in usr/lib/firefox but these are like the pre-installed ones once you start using firefox all your new bookmarks and settings/skins are in root/.mozilla .

It would be so much easier to buid a .sfs with everything and just mount it in the other pups.

The pic shows how to make a symlink , just drag and drop , thene select link....

joel

#81 Post by joel »

I just wanted to say thanks again, Im loving enlightenment again, and I think this will be my primary pup from now on. Thanks

Puppy Linux raised to the 4.3rd power + Eye Candy raised to the 17th power = The 100% Best OS ever! Eat this MS. :)
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

runtt21

#82 Post by runtt21 »

Thank you Joel !!

WhoDo

#83 Post by WhoDo »

runtt21 wrote:You can have bookmarks in usr/lib/firefox but these are like the pre-installed ones once you start using firefox all your new bookmarks and settings/skins are in root/.mozilla .
Why not just make root/.mozilla a symlink to the same directory outside the pup_save.2fs file? Sure you can't do that by default, as nooby expects, but individual users certainly can set up their Puppy partition that way by following the instructions in the referenced thread. Maybe someone could develop a script to perform these steps on demand after installation, so the technically-challenged can perform the task with single click.

As for nooby's request to have that arrangement OOB, that's simply not possible IMHO. It would require pointing $HOME at some location outside of the pup_xxx.2fs file and then how could you carry through the default settings for use with each new installation? Doesn't seem feasible to me but maybe one of the devs knows better.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

nooby

#84 Post by nooby »

Edit.

Now I know why I have failed to learn how to do symlinking. Barry K gave the answer to another guy.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 910#414910
it is a limitation of the FAT and NTFS filesystems. They do not support symlinks.

Who could have guessed that that was the reason? I had no clue. I thought me very stupid. Every time me tried it refused to make a symlink

Now I know. the hardware software don't allow it for my machine if I want to keep Vista on it which I do want to keep.

My original text follows

WhoDo, I wish I could ask Beem and Puppyluvr again but I guess they are fed up with my inability to grasp their descriptions. whodo thanks for your suggestion of how it could be accomplished.

If it is as bad as Runt tells us here and why should I not believe him, he is a dev so he should grasp such logically.

It either means that Beem and Puppyluvr accept those restrictions or constrains and still see it as less problematic than to have a totally fresh environ each time on change puppy to help out Barry and all the others when they ask for feedback on their experiments.

Could one maybe have two different Firefox outside of the pupsave and if one fail the other works and both can export the bookmarks and other settings to each other?

I mean how many different Firefox versions would one need to cover those different puppies we have now that are most popular?

I have not make use of Lighthouse puppy since that thread.

Just now those I use most are

Quirky 21 the one I write from now.
Lucid puppy version 114 or 000
Puppy431std
Macpup
Puppy Stardust

All the other 20 or so Puppy subdirectiories on my HDD where only set up out of curiosity.

I would be surprised if I need more than two different Firefox for these ones?

Quirky 21 the one I write from now.
Lucid puppy version 114 or 000
Puppy431std
Macpup
Puppy Stardust

But I do trust that I need at least two. Lucid needs its own version?

but
Quirky 21 Puppy431std Macpup Puppy Stardust can all of them use same FF don't they?

Here is an important fact!
Long story short, all my (eleven) Pups share ONE Firefox, which also helps because the browser cache is outside your pupsave..

Maybe he has not made use of Lucid pup yet so he is in for a surprice.

But eleven modern puppies can all make use of the Firefox he use and I hope he use the latest Firefox 3.6.3 for those eleven.

I only need somebody to help me set it up and I can also have one FF or eleven different puppies. Would be good indeed to have instead of as now I have to spend hours on how to set each FF up again.

nooby

#85 Post by nooby »

Could one go the opposite way. To move a copy of Firefox to mnt/home and when trying out a new puppy one make a copy of that remote FF placed into the new puppy in the proper place because that puppy doesn't have any FF yet so adding it is no big deal?

runtt21

#86 Post by runtt21 »

Bummer, We dropped back to #8 today . But that's ok O2 is off to a great start . I am very happy with it.

Something else I thought of nooby, if each of those pups is on it own partition links would also be a problem. If you use the same .pet to install Fireofx each time all you need to do it make a .tgz out of /root/.mozilla and unpack it in /root of the new pup before you run firefox and you will have all your stuff. Click on the eye in rox to see hidden folders. COPY .mozilla into my documents. Go into that folder and rename .mozilla to just mozilla getting rid of the . so it isn't hidden anymore. Open a terminal in my documents and run dir2tgz mozilla . It will make mozilla.tgz .You can move that anywhere you want . In the new pup install firefox then move the .tgz to /root . click on it to unpack it . Then rename the folder back to .mozilla and you should be good to go.

nooby

#87 Post by nooby »

Runt thanks.

I have to do it practically to know if it did work.

I got a Quirky21 version of FF3.6.3 to work on both new Q that had no knowledge of FF and Lupu with no prior usage of FF to keep both bookmarks and addons

but totally failed four times testing with puppy431 and macpup
so something are different there. Yes I used the pet for 431 and not thje one for lupu so I have two different safe backup of FF one for the latest versions of Q and Lupu and one for 431 puppies

I have to learn what is needed to be included and where.

abushcrafter gave me a script here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 148#415148

but I don't want a script that I have no insight in what it really does. I want to do it manually so I know what is going on.
I don't want to be non polite to him putting that much effort into it and me comes out as hard to satisfy.

joel

e17 animated wallpaper

#88 Post by joel »

Hey all, I just did some editing of the BarrocStars wallpaper, which in itself I think is an edit of Sabana Night. Well here's my edit, Buffalo at Night. Its just some twinkling stars over a part of downtown Buffalo which a few shooting stars in the mix. This is about the best I'll be able to do because I know no programing at all, but if any one like it I've put it up here. It was mostly for my own kicks but I hope someone like it.
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

runtt21

#89 Post by runtt21 »

Very cool Joel thanks !!!

omskates

#90 Post by omskates »

Is there a module for "zoom" on the ibar rather than pulse during mouse over? Or do I need compositing for that? Thanks :)

crshbndct

#91 Post by crshbndct »

anyne have any idea why when i reboot macpup, it doesnt prompt me to create a pup_save file?

i have tried for days now to figure it out.

or is there a utility which will create the file, that i can then somehow point my menu.lst to it?

edit: i am getting really bored of having to configure keyboard, video network every startup. do pup-save files from normal versions work with macpup?

songzi

#92 Post by songzi »

crshbndct wrote:anyne have any idea why when i reboot macpup, it doesnt prompt me to create a pup_save file?

i have tried for days now to figure it out.

or is there a utility which will create the file, that i can then somehow point my menu.lst to it?

edit: i am getting really bored of having to configure keyboard, video network every startup. do pup-save files from normal versions work with macpup?
I had similar problem, but with help from runtt21 it has been resolved. Try this:

when booting macpup, try using xvesa, instead of xorg
when you reboot or poweroff, it will prompt you to choose save or not to save
Puppy Linux | Arch | antiX

runtt21

#93 Post by runtt21 »

omskates, "Is there a module for "zoom" on the ibar rather than pulse during mouse over? " Ibar animations are controlled by the theme , Some of the older themes zoom.

crshbndct How are you running O2 ? Just live off the cd or what kind of install do you have?

crshbndct

#94 Post by crshbndct »

i just booted off the normal standard 431 cd, and it asked for pupsave file. then when i rebooted all my settings were saved

all hail puppy!!

omskates

#95 Post by omskates »

runtt21 wrote:omskates, "Is there a module for "zoom" on the ibar rather than pulse during mouse over? " Ibar animations are controlled by the theme , Some of the older themes zoom.
Thanks
runtt,
There are relatively few E17 dedicated distros but being you have a developer's interest in the WM I'm sure you check these out. I noticed Elive 2.0 "stable" came out recently and I'm interested in what your take is on that distro as well as how he handles his "donation" strategy. Also some of these larger sized distros that have their E17 versions (PCLinuxOS for example); what do you think of?