Macpup Opera 2.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#16 Post by runtt21 »

omskates

#17 Post by omskates »

runtt21 wrote:What happens if you drop out of x ? ctrl-alt-backspace?
ctrl-alt-backspace yields no results in this case :(

Congrats on that nice review :)

runtt21

#18 Post by runtt21 »

I really think you have a bad download . I suggest downloading it again and reinstalling it.

smellyman

#19 Post by smellyman »

Love the look and feel and themes.

My eyes are horrible though. is there a way to make the font bigger in the menu?

runtt21

#20 Post by runtt21 »

Yes , change the theme to the imago-macpup theme . It's an older style theme that has bigger fonts in the menus. Shot of it on the first page. Or try this one :

[url]http://e17-stuff.orgcontentshow.phpFake+Brushed+Metal?content=88250[/url]

or this one :

http://e17-stuff.org/content/show.php/G ... tent=77069
Last edited by runtt21 on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

smellyman

#21 Post by smellyman »

runtt21 wrote:Yes , change the theme to the imago-macpup theme . It's an older style theme that has bigger fonts in the menus. Shot of it on the first page.
That did the trick. guess I should learn to read better. :)

It may be an older style, but still looks great.

thanks much and great work!

runtt21

#22 Post by runtt21 »

O2 is off to a great start . After its first full day we are back in the top 15 at Distrowatch . We have stayed on the chart for the last 9 months.
Attachments
operaday1.jpg
(33.54 KiB) Downloaded 1852 times

joel

a few troubles though

#23 Post by joel »

I love MacPup!, you guys have done a great job. The enlightenment WM is the most beautiful choice for puppy. Yet I have a few issues I couldn't figure out that I wanted to ask. Maybe the Macpup gurus can point me in the right direction.

First: When I try and add new startup splash screens to "/usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/" they show up fine in the Startup section of settings. I can see them playing in the window and all seems well, yet when I click on it, then click apply and restart X, either the splash screen is the same as before I changed it, or there is no splash screen and it is just black with the mouse cursor showing. Do you know why the splash screens show in the window fine, but dont apply? Is there some way to check the configs, or something? It seems that E17 is having trouble saving my choice as it doesn't always happen with particular ones. Some dont work at all, and some work some of the time.

Second: Also about theming, I have download a bunch of themes from get-e.org, and e17stuff, most work fine but I have issues with some that I know worked fine with the original Macpup E17. Namely the night-bling, grunge, and Blue-Eyed themes. They apply but no shelves show up, or the shelves show but no wallpapers, or certain gadgets are missing from the shelves. Also when I change to these themes I cannot change back to any others! What I mean is when I go to the theme switching gui there are no themes listed and the gui is distorted. If I deleted .e and recopy it (i made a backup with it set how i like it), then I can reset it back. But this is a lot of bother.

And as an aide, is there anyway to install additional modules? I know there is a trash one, but its asking me to download via svn, and I have no clue what that is or how to use it.

Any ideas? I know its a lot but I am stumped, and there is so little E17 documentation out there I have to figure it all out myself. If I could just fix these few issues I'd be so happy with e17.
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

dolphinsupernova

New MacPup

#24 Post by dolphinsupernova »

Hi,

I must say that this is a superb new release and is a joy to use. I lot of hard work must have gone into this new O2 release, thanks guys.

From a personal perspective I do have one slight issue though: I use a left-handed mouse and when I set the mouse to left-handed it stays that way UNTIL I either reboot or change the theme mid-session. I have tried this out on a full HDD install and on a pupsave via usb flashdrive and always it's the same; the mouse reverts to standard right-handed.

Can anyone shed any light on this or help with a fix?

Thanks,
Ade

P123

Fonts

#25 Post by P123 »

I will try the grey theme with larger fonts later (& thank you for posting runtt21) but there is a problem with the link for fake brushed metal

"Oops! Google Chrome could not find e17-stuff.orgcontentshow.phpfake+brushed+metal"

But I love the black theme that is included - which of course does not change when I change the global fonts.

runtt21

#26 Post by runtt21 »

runtt21

#27 Post by runtt21 »

dolphinsupernova How did you set O2 to use a left handed mouse? Did you do it in the e17 settings panel? If so chick on the Wizard Wizard on the ibar and set it there.

runtt21

#28 Post by runtt21 »

joel I suggest downing a md5sum check on your download. Those theme worked fine in the build /test/download test rigs . Blue eye was missing the clock but most of the rest worked BUT remember these are some of the oldest e17 themes they are not going to support all of the stuff O2 has. They will run fine in macpup e17 cause that build of e17 is as old as dirt.

What start up screens did you try?

Remember O2's build of e17 is based on .061 that is the most stable version that works with puppy linux.That is why I went back to it.I still have the set of extra modules that go with this build but most of theme are not stable.The one's that are stable are included. If the module you want is new ,it wont work with o2.
Attachments
grung.jpg
grunge in O2
(26.48 KiB) Downloaded 1636 times
blueeye.jpg
Blue eye in O2
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 1772 times
nightbling.jpg
nightbling in O2
(32.01 KiB) Downloaded 1637 times

omskates

#29 Post by omskates »

runtt21 wrote:I really think you have a bad download . I suggest downloading it again and reinstalling it.
Tried downloading with both puppy and another distro. Burned #2 with burn2iso, burned #3 with GnomeBaker. Used both mirrors.
Experiencing the same shutdown problem with all 3 attempts though only on this particular machine. Note: MacPup Foxy3.0 shuts down perfectly as does 431 and other puplets.
-Regards

songzi

#30 Post by songzi »

omskates wrote:
runtt21 wrote:I really think you have a bad download . I suggest downloading it again and reinstalling it.
Tried downloading with both puppy and another distro. Burned #2 with burn2iso, burned #3 with GnomeBaker. Used both mirrors.
Experiencing the same shutdown problem with all 3 attempts though only on this particular machine. Note: MacPup Foxy3.0 shuts down perfectly as does 431 and other puplets.
-Regards

Same problem here!!

I am using a 2GB USB stick for O2. It boots quite well and everything seems fine until I try to shutdown or reboot. The screen just went blackout. I need to force poweroff the notetbook and reboot. (I have tried to download and install the .iso two times. Still no luck. Did not see the "save file" window.)

Other Info.
Computer: Thnikpad x60 | xorg settings: 1024x768x24
USB format: FAT32
I used another puppy's "bootflash" function to install the .iso to the USB stick.

dolphinsupernova

Left-Handed Mouse

#31 Post by dolphinsupernova »

Hi Runtt21,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I did use the Wizard Wizard to set up the left-handed mouse, so I don't understand why it keeps reverting. Do you have any other suggestions or theories that could shed some light?

Thanks,
Ade

runtt21

#32 Post by runtt21 »

dolphinsupernova try setting it in both puppy ( wizard wizard) and e17 menu/settings/settings panel/input/mouse settings.

omskates & songzi try using xvesa first, But I think you may need to boot it using acpi=force .

joel

#33 Post by joel »

Thanks for the reply runtt21, The issues with grunge and blue-eyes is they apply fine but no wallpaper shows, and I cannot add one manually it just has a white background. As for night bling the background shows, but nothing else. Plus with those themes I cannot change to a different theme after applying it. I did do a md5 check and all was fine. I guess I will have to just pass on those themes. As for the starup screens, they seem to all work, but intermittently. Sometimes applying sometimes not. The only one that has never worked was the moon OS sky one. I will fiddle some more tonight and report back with some screen shots if possible.
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

omskates

#34 Post by omskates »

runtt21,

xvesa worked for me :oops: Never use it so didn't think to try :roll:

Thanks for all the hard work you put into this :D

nooby

#35 Post by nooby »

runtt21 wrote:dolphinsupernova try setting it in both puppy ( wizard wizard) and e17 menu/settings/settings panel/input/mouse settings.

omskates & songzi try using xvesa first, But I think you may need to boot it using acpi=force .
Thanks Runt First thing first. Thanks indeed for the latest version. Looks great and the Enlight thing looks impressive indeed.

My 80 year old neighbor needed the acpi=force on his machine to shut it down.

He did not get any English in education so he asks me if there is no such linux talking Swedish to him.

Some do but they fail to use his 228MB RAM they say it is too small to use for Ubuntu and Linux Mint try another distro they tells us. I try to help him.

To my big surprise your Macpup does have many words in Swedish on some menu but not all.

How can I add those he need to be in Swedish?

Another thing.

You did not make use of the SNS that modern pups have.

I guess such is need here at our compartment due to we lose connection each 30 minutes using the older ways to keep internet.

I guess we need something named DHCPCD and not just dhcp, how can I add that one?

I installed a Firefox pet so now it has both. :) All are happy.

You get your Opera and I get my Firefox. Yes I have used it since 2003 or so. I still prefer FF
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though