Puppy P2P file sharing - Bittorrent tracker

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike Walsh

#61 Post by Mike Walsh »

april wrote:I'm wondering if this thread is really relevent any more . It relates to 2005/2007 stuff mostly and has little application now it seems . Perhaps it should be archived to make room for current stuff ?
Definitely not relevant here in the UK any more. The UK gov't, together with the national ISPs, has for the last 2-3 years been coming down like a ton of bricks on P2P sites (including, most definitely, The Pirate Bay.) I don't think it's been accessible for something like the last 18 months-2 yrs that I know of (and that includes any kind of proxy 'workarounds'.) They've all been systematically targeted and killed, due to some of the big corporations who are in bed with high-up officialdom moaning and bitching that it's killing their profits..... :roll:

Mike. :wink:

april

#62 Post by april »

Hmm thats unfortunate for you and you should fight against it . We still enjoy the pirate bay , torrent hound etc here in Australia and there is a lot of good use for point to point file transfer . Its a legal legitimate file transfer system and nobody should have a right to try to stop it.

They are out there trying to stop you but why ? If they don't like the material that is available then they should go for the source , not the users . Exactly the same as drug use , they go for where the easy targets are for the easy money they can make.

Why not join in the fight to keep it . Won't have it in today's horrifically regulated society if you won't fight for it. Terrorism laws are starting to be used for other purposes now as is the way with all laws imposed on society without general discussion.

Mike Walsh

#63 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, april.

I'd better correct my assertion! I've just been doing a bit of research, and it appears that there are still workable proxies for 'the 'Bay'. They just keep changing on a regular basis, that's all.....so you need to keep on top of things, and keep reviewing what is working, and what ain't... :lol:

Mike. :wink:

april

#64 Post by april »

Goodo Mike You must be just down the road from "King's Landing"

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Kings_Landing

URL note :- You will have to add the apostrophe in" King's" as this old program won't let me put it in the link

friTTe

#65 Post by friTTe »

Talking of trackers, its still legal to download legal stuff?
Linux isos, they cant just cut off that aswell or am i wrong?

Anyhow, Linuxtracker is awesome but already know about that one.
Im modding some from time to time there, i think the bossman and Distrowatch are working together now so all new from Distrowatch is transferred to Linuxtracker.

Puppy page just need some updating, last release is kinda old :D
And we can always grab a seedbox, i use to have that some months from time to time, its per month so no biggie.
5bucks ish, depending on host and size

ally

#66 Post by ally »

all the files I mirror at the archive can be torrented

:)

april

#67 Post by april »

Most files can be torrented quite legally. Bit torrent is just getting a little bit of info at a time from a lot of people that have that same file.

It is only illegal to download copyrighted material and even then that only applies to some countries in the world and also it has to be copyrighted in the country you live in

So it narrows down but then for you to be prosecuted firstly the above has to apply and you have to be recorded doing so and followed up on . All torrent downloaders like "Transmission" have a built in option to install whats called a "Block List" (see here -http://Iblocklist.com) which tells your downloader not to go to certain sites because they are known baddies.

http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=ydxerp ... eformat=gzThat installs blocking on 227,847 sites considered dangerous for one reason or another.

It is sometimes even more useful to run the torrent through a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which are plentiful . IBlocklist has one too http://www.phantompeer.com

april

#68 Post by april »

This reminded me to look into the post I could not find again that said the owner of IBlocklists had died so I emailed him and got this response

I am the owner and maintainer of the service.
I am fairly sure I am not dead.

The service is actively maintained.
We switched to requiring a subscription to use the service.
Some may believe that the service is not maintained because they don't
have a subscription and can not access the lists.

Let me know if you need more clarification or have any other questions.

Regards,

Christopher Fakhir
General Manager
www.iblocklist.com
So perhaps just the free lists are not being updated so they can get some reward for their effort . I will be subscribing shortly I think unless I find a better alternative.

B.K. Johnson

#69 Post by B.K. Johnson »

ISPs seem to frown on the use of torrents. I'd like an explanation for that. But in answering, also explain where my understanding is faulty.

Whether I download a file directly (http or ftp) or via a torrent, I receive and send the same number of bytes. Am I receiving multiple data streams in the same time frame and that reduces the connection time? If that is so, then there is a point of equal trade-off for client and ISP when the time so saved is offset by the time used to seed downloaders.

When I receive parallel data streams, or seed multiple downloders, is there a drain on the ISP's resources?

What is the benefit of torrent downloads and which party benefits?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

april

#70 Post by april »

I guess that's pointed at me but others may have more knowledge than me on the subject of torrents .

The idea is a file you want can be got by torrent if someone has uploaded it to a torrent address and people have downloaded it themselves (leechers).
Then you come along and the torrent site finds all the connected leechers at that time ,connects to each of them and grabs a small chunk of that file from each of them (now seeders or peers ). Its a different chunk from each . That is then sent down to you resulting in a flood of data to you (torrent)and you are now a leecher (bloodsucker). That's how I think of it anyway.

So the ISP has nothing to do with it . What their concern is is that if you download copyrighted material without protecting yourself from scrutiny and someone recorded that ,the disgruntled party can only send a cease and desist type notice to your ISP. So they have to deal with that and make no profit on it. Time without money is not on so they don't like that but they want to be able to say they did something about it in case they suffer repercussions for not acting , so that passes the buck for them.They only do that once to cover themselves and you won't hear from them again .

Telstra in Australia seems to be actively trying to block P2P type sites so you get a lot of "unable to connect" from them .Bastards do anything for a buck . Outright thieves.

At this time nobody can do much about it except whinge. They (Yanks)are trying to extradite Kimdotcom from NZealand atm but I doubt it will succeed . He ran a file transfer site called "Megaupload" and now runs "Mega" soon to become "Megaupload2"
https://twitter.com/KimDotcom

B.K. Johnson

#71 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@april
Thanks for your input. It does help in my understanding of the topic.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]