4.4 Alpha 1

News, happenings
DaveS

#91 Post by DaveS »

Newuser wrote:May I ask what Printer your using as I have never been able to get my lexmark to work with any linux version.
I use an HP C4380 wifi printer and a Canon Pixma 4600. Both work just fine but the HP is a total SH*T to set up for the very first time. Actually involves borrowing a Windows PC to do it. After that, it is trouble free.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#92 Post by DaveS »

Dont think this has been reported but when I try to change one of the default programs, say defaultwordprocessor, thru PCC, it just wipes the text in the default* file, and from there on the wizard will not load. Repairing the default* by hand is then required.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Newuser

#93 Post by Newuser »

hi the anks for the reply you state you sue the windows disk does that mean you compile a puppy driver from the disk as I would not even know how to do that I salute you.

DaveS

#94 Post by DaveS »

Newuser wrote:hi the anks for the reply you state you sue the windows disk does that mean you compile a puppy driver from the disk as I would not even know how to do that I salute you.
No. This is something strange ONLY with the HP printer I have. To make it work, it has to be configured from a Windows pc first. I have never seen any other printer like it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#95 Post by jemimah »

technosaurus wrote:I tried running vattery in 4.31 and got the same result - it has the same gtk package ... running from rxvt I get failed to execute child process "ibam" no such file or directory ... it wasn't in the pet so I compiled ibam and it is working in 431 now to test again... but sleep first

alpha2 likely this weekend
No one's mentioned that to me in all these months? Doh!

DaveS

#96 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:
technosaurus wrote:I tried running vattery in 4.31 and got the same result - it has the same gtk package ... running from rxvt I get failed to execute child process "ibam" no such file or directory ... it wasn't in the pet so I compiled ibam and it is working in 431 now to test again... but sleep first

alpha2 likely this weekend
No one's mentioned that to me in all these months? Doh!
Well, it works 'out of the box' in 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 v3 for me:)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

lstandish

snap2 for 4.4

#97 Post by lstandish »

Please consider adding snap2 rotating snapshot backup program (with gtkdialog GUI) to 4.4. It is now at version 4.5 and is considered stable/tested. I believe it adds important backup functionality to Puppy (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50402), and it adds little overhead (the 3 shell scripts total 81K).

Download the latest pet from http://files.lstandish.com/
--
Lloyd
snap2 rotating snapshot backups for Puppy/Debian Lenny/Ubuntu
The convenience of full backups with the speed and disk economy of incremental backups
[url]http://standish.home3.org/snap2[/url]

Newuser

#98 Post by Newuser »

Ok well this is now disturbing me I have had to remove all traces of frugal install because I could not update seamonkey correctly in fact no browser would work. I must point out that I do want to be able to use puppy but why does it have to be so difficult?

I dare say people on here will rant and rage about how ex windows users blindly install software on to their pcs and not know what it does or where its going, true yes very true. However I can ride motorcycles or drive cars I don't need to know why the it moves or how it moves it just does if it breaks down I take it to someone who will fix it for me. Lazy? probably but answer me this do all those people who use puppy know how a to fly a plane to fix it? or how to build a crux a frame structure? (I do). Why are the repositories not updated with current versions of software from browsers to flash?

technosaurus

#99 Post by technosaurus »

jemimah wrote:No one's mentioned that to me in all these months? Doh!
At first read - I thought you had used the code from ibam in your vattery code and since ibam wasn't in the pet or referenced I thought that it was somehow broken (thus the reason for all the bash battery scripts in that thread)... after looking at the vattery code in order to replace some ibam sections with bash, I realized it was calling ibam instead... `which ibam` yielded a blank prompt (which was my prompt to compile the latest ibam) Anyhow sorry for all the bash pollution in the Vattery thread.

@Newuser - windows invented "dll-hell" otherwise it would be called "so-hell" ... without corporate backing, the pilots are having to do their own airplane maintenance here and predominantly maintain the parts that make their planes fly without crashing (preferably stable and tested parts), but are more than helpful to other "pilots" in need or wanting to test the bleeding edge... provided they don't talk trash
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jpeps

#100 Post by jpeps »

technosaurus wrote:
@Newuser - windows invented "dll-hell" otherwise it would be called "so-hell" ... without corporate backing, the pilots are having to do their own airplane maintenance here and predominantly maintain the parts that make their planes fly without crashing (preferably stable and tested parts), but are more than helpful to other "pilots" in need or wanting to test the bleeding edge... provided they don't talk trash
:lol:

Keep up the good work!

jpeps

#101 Post by jpeps »

Not that I use it much, but Seamonkey needs SSL.

edit: error "could not initialize browser's security component"
r/w restrictions, etc

Looks like it has nothing to do with ssl being enabled, either through prefs or about:config

EDIT:
figured it out; there was a conflict with .mozilla used by firefox. SM worked fine after removing the directory.
Last edited by jpeps on Thu 29 Apr 2010, 23:57, edited 5 times in total.

jpeps

#102 Post by jpeps »

Although samba appears in the cups dropdown menu, it requires the full samba-3.0.26 package to work.

technosaurus

#103 Post by technosaurus »

@jpeps - I recompiled the 3.0.37 version of samba and included the binaries that I thought were needed for cups/samba - if samba is not working in general please let me know and I will revert to the older, twice as large version. If you could give errors that show up in the command line though it would be great!
The included default build for samba is really bad for size and speed & I would like to fix it if anyone knows the configuration of the working build, I know I can make improvements (not building as a position independent executable for starters... or is that needed for cups? using it like a library or something - that would be strange, non-unixian behavior)

@general puppy users
Notecase development has apparently formally stopped in favor of a commercial offering of Notecase2. Here is a possible replacement called CherryTree:
http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/Ch ... ent=113350
Has anyone tried it?

viewnior-1.0 was also released
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

DaveS

#104 Post by DaveS »

Nothing very special with my desktop. Just a photo taken of the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland.
The Op system is VERY special though. 4.4 Alpha 1, Vattery from Jemimah, Pretty Blinky from Ttuuxxx, Polished Blue GTK theme, Blackgrad (by me) JWM theme, DuDE from Zigbert. Even at Alpha 1, the best Puppy ever by far (IMHO). Thanks to everybody involved.

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Gurglin

#105 Post by Gurglin »

Hi,

any chance for making Puppy compliant with PCs having trident cyberblade video cards, for using an SVideo Out without workarounds?

Thanks

jpeps

#106 Post by jpeps »

technosaurus wrote:@jpeps - I recompiled the 3.0.37 version of samba and included the binaries that I thought were needed for cups/samba - if samba is not working in general please let me know and I will revert to the older, twice as large version. If you could give errors that show up in the command line though it would be great!
When installing the printer in cups, I get:

Code: Select all

Error:
server-error-internal-error
Installing samba 3.0.26 first got it working. I'm connecting to a windows desktop with an HP940c deskjet attached.

edit: I seem to recall getting that message when cups needed to be turned on (again) after loading X.

EDIT: That was it.

"/initrd/pup_ro2/etc/init.d/cups start" and all is well!

OOPS...spoke too soon. Printer now installs, but doesn't print. Nothing shows up on the command line; in cups job is "pending". Again, everything works if Samba package is installed. Sorry for the confusion.....(I tried after rebooting with pfix=ram to make sure).

tubeguy

#107 Post by tubeguy »

OK got this puppy loaded up and running. It's fast and stable so far! Loving it!

However the menu button doesn't work. It did at first, then I installed Firefox and Aqualung, now it's dead.

Aqualung was the pet from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31689, Firefox was the 3.6 pet from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30434.

Aqualung didn't start straight away but after grabbing the libsndfile and libsamplerate pets I was good to go.

My Gigabyte GN-WMKG wireless PCMCIA card is happily connecting with ndiswrapper and it reconnects by itself after restarting, something I've had problems with with other pups.

I did try using my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage USB sound thingy when I saw the new ALSA wizard, but it didn't work. The wizard saw the device but after rebooting there were no sound devices at all.

I like the Puppy Control Center, very nice!

it looks like a sh-tload of work went into this, it's very much appreciated.

Edit: I closed my screen and thought I had a power outage or something- I think I triggered a shutdown- any way to disable that?

Edit2: I remember I did run the tray services wizard, I guess that has something to do with the menu button not responding. I hardly ever use it anyway...
Attachments
puptop44a1.jpg
(69.57 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

jpeps

#108 Post by jpeps »

I don't see any smbd/nmbd in current samba. (old version was in /opt/samba/sbin).

DaveS

#109 Post by DaveS »

Tubeguy, there are still a few bugs in Puppy Control Centre, and the disabling of the menu button is one, where the wrong value gets passed to the menu command. The best thing to do right now is to install DuDE from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53680, which will fix it. The next 4.4 (maybe this weekend) will have DuDE.
Only bug I have found in the DuDE system is using it to change default programs such as browsers etc., which does not work just now.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tubeguy

#110 Post by tubeguy »

DaveS wrote:Tubeguy, there are still a few bugs in Puppy Control Centre, and the disabling of the menu button is one, where the wrong value gets passed to the menu command. The best thing to do right now is to install DuDE from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53680, which will fix it. The next 4.4 (maybe this weekend) will have DuDE.
Only bug I have found in the DuDE system is using it to change default programs such as browsers etc., which does not work just now.
Thanks dude...um, I mean Dave!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]