Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Apr 2018, 13:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
4.4 Alpha 1
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 06:23    Post subject:  

Newuser wrote:
May I ask what Printer your using as I have never been able to get my lexmark to work with any linux version.

I use an HP C4380 wifi printer and a Canon Pixma 4600. Both work just fine but the HP is a total SH*T to set up for the very first time. Actually involves borrowing a Windows PC to do it. After that, it is trouble free.

DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 07:29    Post subject:  

Dont think this has been reported but when I try to change one of the default programs, say defaultwordprocessor, thru PCC, it just wipes the text in the default* file, and from there on the wizard will not load. Repairing the default* by hand is then required.
Newuser

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 09:07    Post subject:  

hi the anks for the reply you state you sue the windows disk does that mean you compile a puppy driver from the disk as I would not even know how to do that I salute you.
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 09:27    Post subject:  

Newuser wrote:
hi the anks for the reply you state you sue the windows disk does that mean you compile a puppy driver from the disk as I would not even know how to do that I salute you.

No. This is something strange ONLY with the HP printer I have. To make it work, it has to be configured from a Windows pc first. I have never seen any other printer like it.

jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 09:37    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
I tried running vattery in 4.31 and got the same result - it has the same gtk package ... running from rxvt I get failed to execute child process "ibam" no such file or directory ... it wasn't in the pet so I compiled ibam and it is working in 431 now to test again... but sleep first

alpha2 likely this weekend

No one's mentioned that to me in all these months? Doh!
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 09:43    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
technosaurus wrote:
I tried running vattery in 4.31 and got the same result - it has the same gtk package ... running from rxvt I get failed to execute child process "ibam" no such file or directory ... it wasn't in the pet so I compiled ibam and it is working in 431 now to test again... but sleep first

alpha2 likely this weekend

Well, it works 'out of the box' in 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 v3 for me:)

lstandish

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 09:51    Post subject: snap2 for 4.4  

Please consider adding snap2 rotating snapshot backup program (with gtkdialog GUI) to 4.4. It is now at version 4.5 and is considered stable/tested. I believe it adds important backup functionality to Puppy (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50402), and it adds little overhead (the 3 shell scripts total 81K).

Download the latest pet from http://files.lstandish.com/

The convenience of full backups with the speed and disk economy of incremental backups
http://standish.home3.org/snap2
Newuser

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 10:21    Post subject:  

Ok well this is now disturbing me I have had to remove all traces of frugal install because I could not update seamonkey correctly in fact no browser would work. I must point out that I do want to be able to use puppy but why does it have to be so difficult?

I dare say people on here will rant and rage about how ex windows users blindly install software on to their pcs and not know what it does or where its going, true yes very true. However I can ride motorcycles or drive cars I don't need to know why the it moves or how it moves it just does if it breaks down I take it to someone who will fix it for me. Lazy? probably but answer me this do all those people who use puppy know how a to fly a plane to fix it? or how to build a crux a frame structure? (I do). Why are the repositories not updated with current versions of software from browsers to flash?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 12:51    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:

At first read - I thought you had used the code from ibam in your vattery code and since ibam wasn't in the pet or referenced I thought that it was somehow broken (thus the reason for all the bash battery scripts in that thread)... after looking at the vattery code in order to replace some ibam sections with bash, I realized it was calling ibam instead... `which ibam` yielded a blank prompt (which was my prompt to compile the latest ibam) Anyhow sorry for all the bash pollution in the Vattery thread.

@Newuser - windows invented "dll-hell" otherwise it would be called "so-hell" ... without corporate backing, the pilots are having to do their own airplane maintenance here and predominantly maintain the parts that make their planes fly without crashing (preferably stable and tested parts), but are more than helpful to other "pilots" in need or wanting to test the bleeding edge... provided they don't talk trash

jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 15:38    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:

@Newuser - windows invented "dll-hell" otherwise it would be called "so-hell" ... without corporate backing, the pilots are having to do their own airplane maintenance here and predominantly maintain the parts that make their planes fly without crashing (preferably stable and tested parts), but are more than helpful to other "pilots" in need or wanting to test the bleeding edge... provided they don't talk trash
Laughing

Keep up the good work!
jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 18:00    Post subject:  

Not that I use it much, but Seamonkey needs SSL.

edit: error "could not initialize browser's security component"
r/w restrictions, etc

Looks like it has nothing to do with ssl being enabled, either through prefs or about:config

EDIT:
figured it out; there was a conflict with .mozilla used by firefox. SM worked fine after removing the directory.

Last edited by jpeps on Thu 29 Apr 2010, 19:57; edited 5 times in total
jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr 2010, 19:02    Post subject:  

Although samba appears in the cups dropdown menu, it requires the full samba-3.0.26 package to work.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr 2010, 11:38    Post subject:  

@jpeps - I recompiled the 3.0.37 version of samba and included the binaries that I thought were needed for cups/samba - if samba is not working in general please let me know and I will revert to the older, twice as large version. If you could give errors that show up in the command line though it would be great!
The included default build for samba is really bad for size and speed & I would like to fix it if anyone knows the configuration of the working build, I know I can make improvements (not building as a position independent executable for starters... or is that needed for cups? using it like a library or something - that would be strange, non-unixian behavior)

@general puppy users
Notecase development has apparently formally stopped in favor of a commercial offering of Notecase2. Here is a possible replacement called CherryTree:
http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/CherryTree?content=113350
Has anyone tried it?

viewnior-1.0 was also released

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr 2010, 15:52    Post subject:  

Nothing very special with my desktop. Just a photo taken of the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland.
The Op system is VERY special though. 4.4 Alpha 1, Vattery from Jemimah, Pretty Blinky from Ttuuxxx, Polished Blue GTK theme, Blackgrad (by me) JWM theme, DuDE from Zigbert. Even at Alpha 1, the best Puppy ever by far (IMHO). Thanks to everybody involved.

Gurglin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr 2010, 15:55    Post subject:  

Hi,

any chance for making Puppy compliant with PCs having trident cyberblade video cards, for using an SVideo Out without workarounds?

Thanks
Page 7 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: