4.4 Alpha 1

News, happenings
technosaurus

#76 Post by technosaurus »

ttuuxxx - I was surprised to notice that blinky will compile against gtk1(at least Barry's 0.8 version - haven't tried this one yet) - it would cut down some resource usage in your 2.x series. The same is probably true for others that use eggtray. Let me know if you'd like a gtk1 build (it cut resource usage by ~10mb)

For the devx there is currently an addon pet for the 4.31 devx in the google code files.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jpeps

#77 Post by jpeps »

This contains files like libgthread-2.0.so that I needed.
Attachments
glib_DEV-2.16.6-i486.pet
(131.92 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

scsijon

#78 Post by scsijon »

technosaurus, are we still on alpha1? or do we need a new link??

partition free on a acer v3700GX awaiting you

regards
scsijon
satellite at last....

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

gxine bug

#79 Post by Billwho? »

Double Post Deleted
Last edited by Billwho? on Sun 02 May 2010, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

gxine bug

#80 Post by Billwho? »

First, I have only been using 4.4 Alpha 1 for a couple of days but so far it looks very good.

Secondly, there seems to be a problem with gxine (not sure if it is puppy related or just gxine itself).

To get the problem:
  • Save a video file to a directory. I have so far tried mov, wav, mpg, mp4 and flv files as well as some with no extention.

Navigate to the directory containing the video file you want to watch and click on the file.

When gxine opens click on <view><toolbars><visible(full screen)>

Now click on <view><full screen mode>

gxine will now expand to take up the entire screen as it is supposed to do. But the toolbar is at the top even though it is set to be at the bottom and the directory containing that video file is on top of gxine.
The only way I yet found to get the directory back underneath gxine is return gxinen to it's default size.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

DaveS

#81 Post by DaveS »

Installing DuDE 0.2 seemed to solve a load of niggly little problems.
Midori chugs along nicely. Installing Firefox OVER Seamonkey breaks CUPS a bit. Normal. Setting the font in GTK theme is a bit obscure, probably a good thing...............
Pnote is welcome. Dont care for the barebones Geany window as I cant drag it around by the window bar (needs alt doubletap). Like black terminal background.
Vattery dont display :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#82 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:Vattery dont display :(
Hmmm, Techno, you might want to check if your gtk build has SVG support.

technosaurus

#83 Post by technosaurus »

I tried running vattery in 4.31 and got the same result - it has the same gtk package ... running from rxvt I get failed to execute child process "ibam" no such file or directory ... it wasn't in the pet so I compiled ibam and it is working in 431 now to test again... but sleep first

alpha2 likely this weekend
Attachments
ibam-0.5.2.pet
(19.14 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

DaveS

#84 Post by DaveS »

technosaurus wrote:I tried running vattery in 4.31 and got the same result - it has the same gtk package ... running from rxvt I get failed to execute child process "ibam" no such file or directory ... it wasn't in the pet so I compiled ibam and it is working in 431 now to test again... but sleep first

YAY! Works now :)
Pretty blinky dont though......... on it!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

technosaurus

#85 Post by technosaurus »

blinky

Attachments
blinky-0.8-1-nicer.pet
(15.79 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

DaveS

#86 Post by DaveS »

Thanks T. I had fixed it by swapping out the binary from Ttuuxxx which went into /bin/ to /usr/bin/ which is where the system one is.
The .pet is a nicer way...........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Newuser

#87 Post by Newuser »

Hi been using lhp for the past month or two thought I would try this version of puppy,
Ok being a non programmer etc,............ Here is my list of little problems installed Firefox would not start so uninstalled it it was listed on dotpet puppy manager. Window for used programs still shows firefox in the list even though it was uninstalled. Tried to install new Seamonkey but have version 2.0b2 which wont do all the things I prefer like ad block etc....this needs to be started by going into programs,internet etc.... route I cant just click on the window which lists used programs was hoping that puppy would replace old program with new. I like this style of puppy.

DaveS

#88 Post by DaveS »

OK, so this is MUCH better from a users point of view than 4.3.*
Correctly auto-configured and logged on to wired LAN, browsers accessed internet via this LAN with no tweaking. It is cool to be able to drop a script into Favourites so that it is available with a couple of clicks. No more editing .jwm files.........
Both my printers installed flawlessly. I needed to know the address of the wifi one, but the USB one was autodetected.
Nice work.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Newuser

#89 Post by Newuser »

May I ask what Printer your using as I have never been able to get my lexmark to work with any linux version.

ttuuxxx

#90 Post by ttuuxxx »

Newuser wrote:May I ask what Printer your using as I have never been able to get my lexmark to work with any linux version.
I use a canon pixman ip5200 which works fine on puppy out of the box.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

DaveS

#91 Post by DaveS »

Newuser wrote:May I ask what Printer your using as I have never been able to get my lexmark to work with any linux version.
I use an HP C4380 wifi printer and a Canon Pixma 4600. Both work just fine but the HP is a total SH*T to set up for the very first time. Actually involves borrowing a Windows PC to do it. After that, it is trouble free.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#92 Post by DaveS »

Dont think this has been reported but when I try to change one of the default programs, say defaultwordprocessor, thru PCC, it just wipes the text in the default* file, and from there on the wizard will not load. Repairing the default* by hand is then required.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Newuser

#93 Post by Newuser »

hi the anks for the reply you state you sue the windows disk does that mean you compile a puppy driver from the disk as I would not even know how to do that I salute you.

DaveS

#94 Post by DaveS »

Newuser wrote:hi the anks for the reply you state you sue the windows disk does that mean you compile a puppy driver from the disk as I would not even know how to do that I salute you.
No. This is something strange ONLY with the HP printer I have. To make it work, it has to be configured from a Windows pc first. I have never seen any other printer like it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#95 Post by jemimah »

technosaurus wrote:I tried running vattery in 4.31 and got the same result - it has the same gtk package ... running from rxvt I get failed to execute child process "ibam" no such file or directory ... it wasn't in the pet so I compiled ibam and it is working in 431 now to test again... but sleep first

No one's mentioned that to me in all these months? Doh!