PuppyBang, CrunchPuppy, BangPuppy...

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Notorik

PuppyBang, CrunchPuppy, BangPuppy...

#1 Post by Notorik »

The latest trend seems to be copying CrunchBang. Now I do like it and am currently using ArchBang on one of my test computers. I must admit that a CrunchBang Puppy would be cool. Maybe someone already did it and I missed it.

bugman

#2 Post by bugman »

i posted at distrowatch that archbang was the worst name i'd ever heard for a distro, and they deleted me

[distrobang]

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

bang-gangs are over-rated anyway.

davesurrey

#4 Post by davesurrey »

Notorik
Not sure what you mean by a PuppyBang.
Crunchbang is based on Ubuntu (soon to be Debian) with IMO a very good front end and using the host distros selection of apps.
Puppy wouldn't be Puppy if it were based on another distro like that. Dpup, Apup, Upup etc are somewhat different IIUI ie Puppys that can make use of other distro's repositories but retain the Puppy base.

Bugman
You are not the only one who has been deleted on distrowatch. Sadly it seems that the World of free software doesn't always want to accept free speech. As events close to home have proved recently.

Dave

Notorik

Banger

#5 Post by Notorik »

There is really no substance to the CrunchBang thing. It is more a style, minimalist, Openbox, Conky. I know about Boxpup but not the same style. Puppy doesn't need to be a "Bang" but I do like the style.

Bugman, I am deleted every week. I was banned for a couple of months for saying Puppy is safe to use. There just doesn't seem to be any consistent reasoning there. It is all sort of whimsical, whatever Ladislav is prone to think on any given day. It would be nice it there was an alternative without the heavy-handed censorship. He won't even list AntiX and there are probably others. However, almost any re-spin of Ubuntu gets a nod unless it's the Satanic Edition. I hate Distrowatch but I can't stay away(unless they block my IP address again).

Notorik

#6 Post by Notorik »

Oh yeah, then there is Archiso-Live which Ladislav won't even put on the waiting list because it doesn't have the "proper" website and some other total crap.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#7 Post by Billwho? »

Notorik are you sure it is Ladislav who is deleting your posts. The trend seems to have started when the "Devine Ms Caitlyn" began stomping around there in her :?: Hobnailed Stilletos. I know my post taking her to task for her rant against Puppy got deleted in less than 60 seconds (it was there after I posted it but when my browser had reloaded the comments page to allow me to "edit" my post, it had already been deleted). I now don't even bother to load the front page of Distrosux.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

Notorik

#8 Post by Notorik »

Hmmm...that is interesting. I have noticed a conspicuous absence of Ms. Caitlyn. It makes me consider the idea that Ladislav and Caitlyn could be the same person. I think both of them hate Puppy and that makes me feel bad.

stu90

#9 Post by stu90 »

Im a fan of the minimalist crunchbang style 8)

Notorik

#10 Post by Notorik »

I like that! Can U upload the iso somewhere so I can get it?

Notorik

It's back...

#11 Post by Notorik »

It's back. The thing know as Caitlyn has reappeared. Check post #27 on DW. I thought it was gone for good but I should have known because it's ego is bigger than the universe. Someone please make it crawl back into whatever slimy hole it came out of.

stu90

#12 Post by stu90 »

Hi Notorik:

Its Tazoc's Lighthouse puppy Base it already has openbox built in:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47588
I just added -

wallpapers light/dark:
ImageImage

Volume/pwireless icons light/dark:
http://rapidshare.com/files/372114204/v ... ar.gz.html

Tint2 panel+ tint2rc code (see read me):
http://rapidshare.com/files/372691943/t ... p.zip.html

conkyrc code:

Code: Select all

${alignc}${voffset -1}CPU: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${cpu cpu1}% ${color}  CPU1: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${cpu cpu2}% ${color}  | ${alignc} ${voffset -1} Mem: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${memperc}% ${color}  |  ${color} Uptime: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${uptime_short}${color}  |  ${color} Down: ${color} ${totaldown wlan0} |  Up: ${totalup wlan0} |  ${color}Root: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${fs_free /} ${color} |  ${color0}CPU Temp: ${color e0e0e0}${acpitemp}
8)

Notorik

#13 Post by Notorik »

Thanks Stu90! I am going to go get it. Love the Conky, thanks for the script.

On another unrelated subject, this will be my last rant about Distrowatch and C.M. I am actually getting bored with the subject.

Notorik

#14 Post by Notorik »

Thanks again Stu90 for those links. One thing I want to pass on is that you can use "alignment top_middle" for your Conky. It just makes it easier to center the line. I finally had time to get it set up and it looks great! I have a couple of questions for you though...

1. How do you get the volume control in the panel? (edit, forget this one I got it.)

2. Did you use the alternate setup for the panel?

Thanks,

Notorik

stu90

#15 Post by stu90 »

Hello Notorik,

Thanks for the conky tip - yes i use the alternative tint2 panel setup. :)