No capital letters when writing to vfat?

Using applications, configuring, problems
menno

No capital letters when writing to vfat?

#1 Post by menno »

Know's somebody why a copy to a vfat (windows98) the file names becomes in small letters (non capital) even if the the file name was in capital letters .
This also happens when you 'open' a file for writing and you have a name in capital letter it write the name in noncapital to the vfat .

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Capitalization is not relevant in FAT.

This is MYFOLDER and MyFolder are the same file unlike other file systems where capitalization matters.

Also, I've found that the windows explorer changes the capitalization, so If you do a 'C:\>dir ' under a cmd console you may get different capitalization that if you do that under a 'command' console and different that if you look at them through windows explorer.

But If I udnderstood right you are saying that in puppy you are saving things with proper capitalization and when you open it under Windows you get them all lowecase? I'll need to try that.

kethd

#3 Post by kethd »

Yes, in a basic 8.3 filesystem the file names are not upper/lower case. Or always implicitly all-upper case. However you want to think about it...

So, the filenames can be shown/represented all kinds of ways, but that does not change/reflect the underlying reality. And the Linux world has this bias towards all-lower-case-everything.

Then, to really confuse everything, Linux sometimes uses special hidden tricks to add full Linux file attributes to alien FAT filesystems. Which may or may not be compatible with the tricks Windows use to layer long file names on top of 8.3... When I use Linux to work with files on a standard FAT floppy disk, strange msgs are common.

menno

#4 Post by menno »

rarsa :
But If I udnderstood right you are saying that in puppy you are saving things with proper capitalization and when you open it under Windows you get them all lowecase?
That what I mean .

kethd

#5 Post by kethd »

The only way I can think of to move files between Windows and Linux and get long file names etc to pass over well is to encapsulate them -- pack them into some kind of zipped archive that is handled well in both OSes.

You might also have success with putting them onto a CD, but that is likely to be more trouble.

I suppose a third choice would be to move them over ethernet/internet, through ftp sorts of protocols.