How long does it take for your printer to start printing?

Using applications, configuring, problems
OverDrive

How long does it take for your printer to start printing?

#1 Post by OverDrive »

Hi, I've posted a few posts about slow printing to the puppy forums. Unfortunately, there were no replies. So let me ask this. How long does it take for your printer to activate after you pressed the print button in mozilla or OO? Also could you post which printer you are using and any particulars about your system(port, driver etc). I've spent the better part of 25 hours on this problem since the 1st of the year with no good results. The best I'm getting is a tad less than 2 minutes per page on a 6ppm laser. I've finally narrowed it down to my printer choking on Ghostscripts output. Everything is fast until the data actually starts to get received by the printer. I've confirmed this by "printing to file" on GSView which only takes 2 seconds. Then when I cat the file to /dev/lp0 it takes 1.75 minutes before the printer starts to print. If I copy /b >prn the same file a in windoze dos box it takes the same amount of time no mater how my parport is set (spp,epp,ecp). So it's gotta be the printer choking on the data. The test file is only 257k. Ironicly the printer does work quite fast in windoze using it's native PCL driver. So at this point I'm throwing in the towel and have decided to go buy a new printer. This is why I'm asking this question. As a side note a local discount electronics chain (Best Buy) is selling Samsung 22ppm lasers for $79us. I've checked and Samsung has linux drivers right on the CD. Linuxprinting.org says it's good to go. Any and all replies appreciated. I'd like to get a concensious before I put my money down.

Best Regards

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

kethd

#2 Post by kethd »

Sorry, I can't help you, I am not printing in Linux yet...

But your data will certainly be helpful to others. That seems like an incredible buy on the Samsung 22ppm laser!

If you don't hear about printers specifically good for Puppy, and can't test the printer in the store, it seems like your best bet is to get a generic "good for Linux" printer and hope you'll be able to get it working well with Puppy, eventually...

bugman

#3 Post by bugman »

Epson Stylus C62. Fast in m$, very slow in Puppy. It prints fast enough, it's the spooling or whatever that takes around a minute. Worst thing is that Mozilla puts a progress bar out there which doesn't let you switch tabs and start a second job. Looking forward to hearing about the Samsung even though I can't afford to replace mine until it dies...

tony

How long to print? In My Case - Forever

#4 Post by tony »

Hi Overdrive,
I have just bought a Brother HL-2070N, and thanks for your help in getting it set up on the Parallel Port. It all seems OK but doesn't print. Brother has not supported this printer in Cups as such, but you can download a driver in Debian .rpm file format, convert it to a .pup file and install it.

As they say "there's many a slip between Cup(s) and lip".

Regards Tony