NimbleX 2010, AntiX 8.5, Quirky and Lupu and Wary competing

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

NimbleX 2010, AntiX 8.5, Quirky and Lupu and Wary competing

#1 Post by nooby »

Here is how I installed a frugal install of NimbleX 2010 today.
I write from nimblex now. You download the iso from nimblex.net and it is fast to dl.
Mine took at most 2 minutes. you use puppy to mount the iso and copy the directories to the C:/ or root/mnt/home on the frugal install of puppy you already have and you can do a dir named nimblex2010 and then you place the NimbleX dir that is in the iso on its own. if it is in the nimblex2010 then it doesn't boot.

Bogdan most likely will recommend that you place the boot dir in the root but that compete with all the other boot dirs that Ubuntu and AntiX and many other linux have. so I cheated this way

title quirky-021
kernel (hd0,0)/quirky-021/vmlinuz psubdir=quirky-021
initrd (hd0,0)/quirky-021/initrd.gz
boot

title NimbleX 2010 - Boot in KDE user=root psw=toor
kernel /nimblex2010/boot/vmlinuz-nx10 quiet vga=791 autoexec=startx
initrd /nimblex2010/boot/initrd-nx10.gz

Now that is to cheat because I did not include the save file in that grub4DOS code.

But most likely it would work. I got it to work 2008 so it is easy. No need for partitions either. Just adding code to the menu.lst

NimbleX just worked out of the box. But I found no Firewall.

Edit

No I will not abandon puppy at all but I like that NimbleX and AntiX try their own distros. To each his own distro. Some 10 years from now or 20 years from now I give out Nooby linux too. Just kidding. I would be 100 years by then and senile
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though