Official 4.3.2

News, happenings
abushcrafter

Update

#301 Post by abushcrafter »

version=1.9.3 (Current)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46174
I have successfully ripped 2 CDs into flac.

scsijon

4.3.2v3.0 - first problem - video / Keyboard works prothough

#302 Post by scsijon »

Ok, downloaded and installed the v3.0 iso on a fresh part'n

Xorg works (4.3.1 didn't) but I can't see anywhere to tell it to use a slower frequency as my monitor is old and although suppose to be able to run at 68K/85hz it has a little bit of eht sqeel nowadays. I usually max it at 70hz. The Xvidtune program just says na at settings lower than 85. Any ideas anyone please?

Xvesa worked with 4.3.1 beautifully, 4.3.2 only lets me run 800x600????

Keyboard works properly though, and I love the icon changes, much more professional looking.

regards
scsijon

abushcrafter

#303 Post by abushcrafter »

With the release of Quirky and Lupu are you still working on this? Cos I still going to be using this for what another year or more.

There is more bugs and fixs here for you http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=255 :P.

tlchost

#304 Post by tlchost »

abushcrafter wrote:With the release of Quirky and Lupu are you still working on this? Cos I still going to be using this for what another year or more.
I would hope he does....qrky does not work with my laptop video...so it's a no starter for me.

Thom

of course if the xvesa isn;t fixed with this one, then that's bad news also

DaveS

#305 Post by DaveS »

tlchost wrote:
abushcrafter wrote:With the release of Quirky and Lupu are you still working on this? Cos I still going to be using this for what another year or more.
I would hope he does....qrky does not work with my laptop video...so it's a no starter for me.

Thom

of course if the xvesa isn;t fixed with this one, then that's bad news also
Same for me with quirky AND lupu
Wonder how 4.4 is going...............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nubc

#306 Post by nubc »

I was premature when I reported that gxine plays a downloaded YT video acquired from tmp. The video I was playing was recorded by a savvy electronica group, and probably had special properties, because a run-of-the-mill YT video (acquired from tmp) still doesn't play in gxine. Oh well.

tlchost

Is the Official version Dead

#307 Post by tlchost »

Just wondering if the official version is dead in the water...it seems so.

ttuuxxx

#308 Post by ttuuxxx »

I'm not sure, I don't have the spare time like I once did plus I'm fighting a head cold, My fulltime job should be finished in 2-3 weeks maybe sooner, Then I'll have lots of free time to work on this, Plus puppy 5.0 is out so I'm not sure if there is any support for 4 series anymore, How does it compare to 5 series? I'm personally put off the the size of series 5, 130MB is way too large in my books for a puppy release, It wasn't that long ago when we were complaining about going to 100MB.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tlchost

#309 Post by tlchost »

ttuuxxx wrote: My fulltime job should be finished in 2-3 weeks maybe sooner, Then I'll have lots of free time to work on this,
Cool
Plus puppy 5.0 is out so I'm not sure if there is any support for 4 series anymore, How does it compare to 5 series?
Seems like there are quite a few comments I've read that indicate folks are having problems that they did not have with the 4.x series. I suspect that a finished version of 432 would be used and appreciated.

Thom

James C

#310 Post by James C »

I'm still using 4.32 as my primary operating system and it's been really solid and stable. :)

Two things going for continuing the 4 series for a while longer is the stability and the smaller size.There have been enough releases and effort put into the 4 series that most of the problems have been ironed out by now. I think a 4.32 release would be appreciated and used by many as well. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#311 Post by Lobster »

How does it compare to 5 series? I'm personally put off the the size of series 5, 130MB is way too large in my books for a puppy release, It wasn't that long ago when we were complaining about going to 100MB.
Projects based on the 4 series never materialized in the time frame expected
and even Dpup is largely on hold. So Puppy Lucid was created in two months (though the project was already underway. So 4.3.1/2 and 4.4 are still welcome. Technosaurus IS making progress with 4.4 and deserves support.

Part of the size is the fact that it uses Ubuntu binaries
- not Puppy optimised ones - though Woof does trim some of the fat.

Puppy 5.1 will be smaller as the default browser will be smaller.
5.1 is faster at booting. Booting straight to desktop - on working systems is great.

Personally I would prefer to use Puppeee on my desktop - or I may use the next release of Fatdog64

For now I am using Lucid very happily. Is it better is a very subjective question. For me the answer is yes. For most people using it I should imagine yes too . . . as more software becomes available the answer will become more obvious. You will be able to do more with Lucid.

Puppy Linux
Runs software
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

abushcrafter

#312 Post by abushcrafter »

I would quite like a 432 release as I am not going to upgrade straight away for a few reasons.

scsijon

Don't you dare ttuuxxx

#313 Post by scsijon »

After awaiting the promised fixes of 4.3.2, you suddenly see m to be cutting the floor out from under us!

:cry: Shame on you. :cry:

5.0 is useless to me as the video won't work on vesa at present unless i'm happy with 800x600 (NOT)..

4.4 may eventually work, but not at present.

i'm running on 4.3.1 with some workarounds that your work will nullify the need of,
run with it
your NEEDED

my 2cents (with heart)
scsijon

ttuuxxx

Re: Don't you dare ttuuxxx

#314 Post by ttuuxxx »

scsijon wrote:After awaiting the promised fixes of 4.3.2, you suddenly see m to be cutting the floor out from under us!

:cry: Shame on you. :cry:

my 2cents (with heart)
scsijon
Nope never would I do that, I just wanted to know if it was still viable to move forward in a couple of weeks maybe sooner, I've more than proven my dedication towards puppy, I just figured at the time of my previous post is that puppy 5 is out and that the current users of series 4 would be happy with that, If not I'll continue 4.3.2 and also 2.14X since that release is almost at cult status :) I use it everyday and take it over 4 series hands down, but to each there own, I'm dedicated to 4 series for a final 4.3.2 then the rest is up to techno and his 4.4
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

abushcrafter

Re: Don't you dare ttuuxxx

#315 Post by abushcrafter »

ttuuxxx wrote:I'm dedicated to 4 series for a final 4.3.2 then the rest is up to techno and his 4.4
Thanks Muchly.

glenco

#316 Post by glenco »

ttuuxxx wrote
I just figured at the time of my previous post is that puppy 5 is out and that the current users of series 4 would be happy with that, If not I'll continue 4.3.2 and also 2.14X since that release is almost at cult status
ttuuxxx
Yes, puppy 5 has gained a lot of attention, but I feel that a lot of old puppy users will find that the bloat of 5 has also taken it's toll on older CPU's. After waiting for an RC of 5 and spending almost 7 hours downloading it(dialup), I fine that all win-modem support has been dumped :p.
I have a feeling like as time goes by many more people will jump off the puppy-Lucid bandwagon when it become clearer that puppy 5 is not a Ubuntu fork and most Ubuntu packages in it's repositories won't run in puppy.

RANT: A lot of time and effort went into puppy 2.* plus to gain win-modem support and to abandon it just for a small amount of Ubuntu binary compatability is just plain ludicrous.

Gurglin

#317 Post by Gurglin »

glenco wrote:ttuuxxx wrote
I just figured at the time of my previous post is that puppy 5 is out and that the current users of series 4 would be happy with that, If not I'll continue 4.3.2 and also 2.14X since that release is almost at cult status
ttuuxxx
Yes, puppy 5 has gained a lot of attention, but I feel that a lot of old puppy users will find that the bloat of 5 has also taken it's toll on older CPU's. After waiting for an RC of 5 and spending almost 7 hours downloading it(dialup), I fine that all win-modem support has been dumped :p.
I have a feeling like as time goes by many more people will jump off the puppy-Lucid bandwagon when it become clearer that puppy 5 is not a Ubuntu fork and most Ubuntu packages in it's repositories won't run in puppy.

RANT: A lot of time and effort went into puppy 2.* plus to gain win-modem support and to abandon it just for a small amount of Ubuntu binary compatability is just plain ludicrous.
Glenco, I am completely with you. Moreover in my opinion LuPu must not be launched as Puppy 5, but as LuPu 1 (like it was done with Quirky) as a bridging project between Puppy and Ubuntu.

In the way things run, I fear the work of the guys working for 4.3.2 and 4.4 was disrespected, because considering ttuuxxx dedication and work puppy 4.3.2. could be 4.4 while technosaurus's puppy 4.4 could easily turn into Puppy 5, the ONLY official release branded as a PUPPY OS.

FlyingRedGoat

#318 Post by FlyingRedGoat »

ttuuxxx wrote:I'm not sure, I don't have the spare time like I once did plus I'm fighting a head cold, My fulltime job should be finished in 2-3 weeks maybe sooner, Then I'll have lots of free time to work on this, Plus puppy 5.0 is out so I'm not sure if there is any support for 4 series anymore, How does it compare to 5 series? I'm personally put off the the size of series 5, 130MB is way too large in my books for a puppy release, It wasn't that long ago when we were complaining about going to 100MB.
ttuuxxx
Don't kill yourself. I would like 4.32 if you can, but you do have a life. I appreciate what you've done, and even if I want more, you've done all that is fair (and more).

K
[quote="Lobster"][quote]Read this: Fear Not Root, and tell us what you think.[/quote]

I thought reading this was preferable to running around like a headless penguin
exclaiming, 'Beware the root'. :roll:
[/quote]

runtt21

#319 Post by runtt21 »

I can hardly wait for you to finish this one ttuuxxx!!! Remember what we did to your 4.31.1 ?? Built Macpup Foxy 3 and that bad boy made it to #2 at DW higher than both puppy 5 and quirky.I am not saying anything bad about either of them.I like them both. I just want you to keep your chin up. So get xvesa fixed and let go !!!! ( Opera 2.0 also made it to #2 btw).

nubc

#320 Post by nubc »

I appreciate your efforts ttuuxxx, and for me Puppy 4.3.2 is the official Puppy, so please continue your good work. Some of us are counting on you, so take care and finish when you can.

Thanks.