Lucid Puppy 005 - Bug Fixes

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#16 Post by playdayz »

upnorth, I think I got both the xgamma and the fonts config. in 006 to come. Thanks.

jrb

fixed Netsurf for CUPS

#17 Post by jrb »

Not all Netsurf's are created equal.

Here is the version of Netsurf that I used in ChoicePup412. It works with CUPS! I have set it up to work in lupup005. It has a modified /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer and /usr/sbin/cups_shell.

playdayz

#18 Post by playdayz »

Here is the version of Netsurf that I used in ChoicePup412. It works with CUPS! I have set it up to work in lupup005. It has a modified /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer and /usr/sbin/cups_shell.
How did you do it jrb, and is it possible without making any significant changes to cups_shell? Thanks

Oh, did you midify cups_shell just to start Netsurf? I am asking because I have modified cups_shell myself so I will have to compare. I assume that Cups does not need javascript then. I am waiting on an answer from Cups about that.

jrb

#19 Post by jrb »

playdayz wrote:How did you do it jrb, and is it possible without making any significant changes to cups_shell?
My apologies for not remembering sooner but I went through this exact same quandary when setting up ChoicePup412. :oops: I believe the netsurf-20071214.pet in the pet4 repoistory is broken. I tried a number of different small browsers and then started trying different versions of those. I don't remember exactly where I got this version but googling gives http://www.rjek.com/puppy/4.0/netsurf-0.4799-i486.pet which I assume is the same one.

Netsurf has some odd behaviors. Opening up websites, as in /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, works fine:

Code: Select all

netsurf "$@"
but opening files, as in /defaulthtmlviewer, requires:

netsurf "file://$@"
I was in a hurry this morning to get this tested, done and posted before heading out for the day. Cups wizard kept opening up puppybrowser even after I changed /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer, /usr/local/bin/bareview and /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. So I grabbed /usr/sbin/cups_shell and changed it to:

netsurf http://localhost:631/
This worked, I posted it and left. Just returned home now.

I only installed the one printer, my network brother1430, but I did it three times and each one printed perfectly.

Do feel free to make changes. I'm not sure what else cups_shell does besides opening up localhost:631 so I may have flummoxed something.

Cheers, J

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:
01micko wrote:
01micko wrote:as reported by zigbert

bash-3.00# ffmpeg -i "/root/Yngwie Malmsteen.mp3" -f au - | aplay -D plughw
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libfaad.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
aplay: playback:2309: read error
fix

bash-3.00# ln -s /usr/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/libfaad.so.0 
Ditto for 004. Symlink still missing. Fix is the same. Without the fix Pmusic and gxine are almost useless.

Cheers
Um, that bug is still there!
It is fixed for the next release of Woof, so Lupu 006 will have the fix.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

playdayz

#21 Post by playdayz »

ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libfaad.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
aplay: playback:2309: read error

fix
Code:
bash-3.00# ln -s /usr/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/libfaad.so.0

Ditto for 004. Symlink still missing. Fix is the same. Without the fix Pmusic and gxine are almost useless.
libfaad.so.0 is pointing at libfaad..2.0.0 and mp3's are playing but it seems that m4a (aac) are not playing and gxine crashes. (flac's are playing also)

upnorth

k_space problem

#22 Post by upnorth »

Hi:

I swapped out the file /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/DejaVuSans.ttf with that from an ubuntu karmic system to test the effect. This corrected the problem of the k-space-2extra-spaces.
If anyone has another distro handy on their systems, or possibly a standard dejavu font package, could you perform the same test to see if that corrects the problem? It is only that one file that is at issue, as DejaVu Sans is specified extensively in the config files: the jwm theme, the gtk-theme, userChrome.css

The default DejaVuSans.ttf just didn't play well with some of the libraries in Lupu, I guess.

Here is where I check the interface for spacing problem:
Setup>SetupPuppy>Check_dependencies
The gtkdialog window of ipinfo - "Network_Configuration"
also Abiword will display the problem when dejvu sans is selected and k is pressed.

Typing a message to the forum in firefox also exhibits the problem.

I usually run fc-cache -f when doing anything with fonts and then reboot for certainty.

Terryphi

#23 Post by Terryphi »

upnorth: Well done. I had the DejaVuSans.ttf from Ubuntu Lucid to hand and used that. That immediately fixed the problem without the need for a reboot or fc-cache.