FFConvert - multimedia converter

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
GaRailroader

#106 Post by GaRailroader »

can't seem to get FFConvert multimedia converter in Wary 5.0 to produce playable files. If I try to select and convert any ogg file (say Magic-Pilot.ogg) to an mp3 file using ffconvert, a file approximately 2.4 meg long is produced, but it lasts only a few milliseconds and is not recognizable. The command line produced by ffconvert is:
ravensrest: Sorry I am no help with your problem. How are you able to determine what the command line that ffconvert generates is?

Pat

ravensrest

#107 Post by ravensrest »

GaRailroader, there are two ways I know of to see the command FFConvert generates. First, while it is converting it creates a file "ffconvert..*.sh" in the /tmp/directory. Open this as a text file to see the command line. Second, if you run ffconvert in a terminal it will print the command to the terminal.
BS

shinobar

Converting ogg to mp3

#108 Post by shinobar »

ravensrest wrote:I can't seem to get FFConvert multimedia converter in Wary 5.0 to produce playable files. If I try to select and convert any ogg file (say Magic-Pilot.ogg) to an mp3 file using ffconvert, a file approximately 2.4 meg long is produced, but it lasts only a few milliseconds and is not recognizable. The command line produced by ffconvert is:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "/data/music/1970s/Magic-Pilot.ogg" -y -f mp3  -acodec libvorbis -ab 128k    "/data/Magic-Pilot.mp3"
Have you loaded the preset for 'MP3 Audio'?
Or, select 'libmp3lame' for the audio codec.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

ravensrest

#109 Post by ravensrest »

Shinobar, selecting the libmp3lame codec produces a usable mp3 file. Thanks, but why wouldn't one choose the vorbis codec when handling ogg files.
BS

ASRI éducation

#110 Post by ASRI éducation »

French localisation : mo & po files.
If a French speaker has time to check...
:wink:

hanzf

#111 Post by hanzf »

Hello,

I recently found this thread and started to try ffconvert. I got a german version without being asked about that, I didn't mind because it happens to be my native language, but I didn't want these mutilated Umlaute.
L18L wrote: edit /usr/bin/ffconvert to:

#!/bin/sh
# FFConvert - a frontend of ffmpeg
# 20 Jul 2010 by shinobar <shino@pos.to>
export OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8
VERSION="1.0"
didn't help. (see german screenshot)
L18L wrote: You can launch ffconvert in English by

LANG=en_US; ffconvert
Ok this worked partially, but now there are double entries in some menus, the same thing in german and in english (see english screenshot). How can that be fixed? English is ok for me because the rest of puppy is in english too, but I'd like to get rid of these redundand german entries.
Attachments
example.png
screenshot english with &quot;Screen size&quot; menu opened. &quot;Same as source&quot; option comes in 2 languages.
(11.13 KiB) Downloaded 1174 times
beispiel.png
screenshot german
(9.36 KiB) Downloaded 1154 times
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

L18L

ffconvert

#112 Post by L18L »

Hallo hanzf,
you wrote: I didn't want these mutilated Umlaute.
Your peispiel.png shows me that you have an outdated translation file which did NOT use UTF-8.
You can prove this if you like to by

msgunfmt /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ffconvert.mo
Take ffconvert.mo from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6&start=90 and copy it to /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES.

Or just delete /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES :wink:
Attachments
ffconvert-de.png
German ffconvert 1.0
(23.39 KiB) Downloaded 1321 times

hanzf

Re: ffconvert

#113 Post by hanzf »

L18L wrote: Your peispiel.png shows me that you have an outdated translation file which did NOT use UTF-8.

Take ffconvert.mo from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6&start=90 and copy it to /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES.

Or just delete /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES :wink:
thank you, the new .mo file fixed it.

I moved LC_MESSAGES to another place but then I still had these 2-language entries as shown in the example screenshot, so a pure english version seems hard to get. Strange thing.
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

L18L

#114 Post by L18L »

hanzf wrote:thank you, the new .mo file fixed it.

I moved LC_MESSAGES to another place but then I still had these 2-language entries as shown in the example screenshot, so a pure english version seems hard to get. Strange thing.
really strange...
Not on my system. Could you try my version (ffconvert-1.0) attached?
click on it to decompress and move it into /usr/bin.

please use

LANGUAGE=en ffconvert
not

LANGUAGE=en; ffconvert
Thanks for reporting.
Attachments
ffconvert.gz
decompress it by clicking and yes
(7.8 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

hanzf

#115 Post by hanzf »

L18L wrote: Could you try my version (ffconvert-1.0) attached?
click on it to decompress and move it into /usr/bin.

please use

LANGUAGE=en ffconvert
not

LANGUAGE=en; ffconvert
Thanks for reporting.
Thank you.
Still the same strange thing. The german version is good now, so it's ok for everyday use, but I wonder what this 2-language effect might be.
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

sheepy

#116 Post by sheepy »

For some reason, if I try to convert files that are in another partition, it says "No files were converted" and exits.

playdayz

#117 Post by playdayz »

shinobar,

Will ffconvert use ffmpeg -0.8.x if it is available? The multimedia upgrade for Lucid 5.2.8 has ffmpeg 0.8.x (ie., libavcodec.so.53) in addition to the default ffmpeg 0.6 (libavcodec.so.52).

I think I see--does ffconvert use whichever libavcodec is pointed to by the libavcodec.so symlink? Thanks.

technosaurus

#118 Post by technosaurus »

@playdayz
It is just a frontend to the ffmpeg binary and should continue to work until something drastic in ffmpeg's CLI changes. Keep in mind though that there are versioned api's now and most things get backported. So now if upstream does something stupid like changing bitrate defaults to be in kbytes instead of bytes (yeah - it broke a lot of scripts when they pulled that one) ... you can simply use the latest stable version in that series
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

shinobar

ffconvert with ffmpeg-0.8

#119 Post by shinobar »

@playdayz
Recent ffmpeg is in wary-5.2, and ffmpeg 0.8 is in dpup exprimo.
FFConvert-1.0 is tested on them and works ok.
technosaurus wrote:It is just a frontend to the ffmpeg binary and should continue to work until something drastic in ffmpeg's CLI changes.
Right.
ffmpeg 0.8 has changed only some advanced options which users have to manage.

playdayz

#120 Post by playdayz »

technosaurus wrote:
It is just a frontend to the ffmpeg binary and should continue to work until something drastic in ffmpeg's CLI changes.
Thanks technosaurus and shinobar. That is what I was asking. I didn't know if ffconvert used the libraries directly such as as libavcodec. Now that I understand, I can see that when ffmpeg is upgraded as it is the the "Super Multimedia Upgrade" for Lucid 5.2.8"that ffconvert will use the upgraded ffmpeg.

kenbanistu

#121 Post by kenbanistu »

Under Wary 5.2 ffconvert's dropdown lists cause my cpu usage to shoot through the roof and my computer becomes very very slow until a selection is made and the list closes, then everything goes back to normal. I don't know if this is a ffconvert problem or a wary problem (I don't have this trouble in puppy 4.3.1) but something somewhere clearly isn't right.

--Ken

rcrsn51

#122 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run it from the command line and see if it throws up any error messages.

shinobar

cpu usage with gtkdialog3 combobox

#123 Post by shinobar »

kenbanistu wrote:Under Wary 5.2 ffconvert's dropdown lists cause my cpu usage to shoot through the roof and my computer becomes very very slow until a selection is made and the list closes, then everything goes back to normal.
I can reproduce the issue on Wary-5.2.2 RC.
Seems the gtkdialog3/4 problem on the recent Wary/Racy.
It does not occur on Wary-511.

See also:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=231

don570

combobox bug

#124 Post by don570 »

shinobar wrote:Seems the gtkdialog3/4 problem on the recent Wary/Racy.
Barry Kauler has written about this HERE

plinej

#125 Post by plinej »

I finally got around to testing this app out and want to say thanks alot for making this shinobar. I really wanted to have the ability to rip dvds and pipe the stdout directly into ffmpeg without having to rip to the hard drive first. With quite a bit of hacking I was able to add that feature to your script. I used code from pdvdrsab & pcdripper to accomplish this. If you tick the checkbox for "use dvd" vobcopy should find the longest title and add that number to the box to the left. You can change that number if you want to rip a different title on the dvd (most times this will rip the main title). I'm guessing there may be some interest in having that feature so I'll attach the revised script here.
Attachments
ffconvert.jpg
(72.55 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
ffconvert.tar.gz
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 533 times