Seamonkey scrolling better than the last offering
a few days ago.

Looking very strong at this stage.

Pup Radio????

Thanks..........Chris.

kkoceski

Wireless not working on Dell E6500 with "Dell Wireless-N WLA

#932 Post by kkoceski »

Hi, I brought this up many pages ago, and maybe I've missed the solution in the many pages since (now up to 62 pages), but Wireless does not work on my Dell Latitude E6500. Presently, if I want wireless, I have to attach a USB one. Other than that, it's super - Fast boot, fast wired connection, Fast load of selected browser - again it's Great, but the lack of a convenient internal wireless connection is a show-slower (not a stopper, 'cause I'll still play with it).

Anyway, I wish I were smarter, so I could be more descriptive, but please see my post on page 5 of the "4.4 Alpha 1" puppy.

I am trying to run Lucid Puppy 499 on a Dell Latitude E6500 with a "Dell Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card via a USB boot created from unetbootin.

Thanks again, Kurt

01micko

#933 Post by 01micko »

cthisbear wrote:[snip]

Pup Radio????

Thanks..........Chris.
Link in Quickpet Chris.. (btw, all bar 1 radio default stations work, all default telly stations work)

Cheers
Attachments
its-there.jpg
(34.07 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tubeguy

Re: lucid 499 issues on MD8818

#934 Post by tubeguy »

Béèm wrote:Medion MD8818 lucid 499 issues

1 - the first run comes up in 800x600. Should be 1024x768
That happened for me on every lupu so far, but a quick run of the keyboard/display wizard always takes care of it. I have the same issue with Debian, Ubuntu and Mint, but I was never able to get the display set right, always gave up about a half hour into searching for an answer.

Truth be told, I've been trying Debian, Ubuntu and Mint over the last couple of years and the resolution issue has always been a dealbreaker. I go through the same routine every time expecting different results and end up back with Puppy. However dpup always came up at 1024x768, but dpup has the user run the resolution/keyboard wizard before getting a desktop on first run. I've been chalking up the lupu resolution thing to a Debian quirk and just feeling lucky to have the wizard to fix it.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: lucid 499 issues on MD8818

#935 Post by Béèm »

tubeguy wrote:
Béèm wrote:Medion MD8818 lucid 499 issues

That happened for me on every lupu so far, but a quick run of the keyboard/display wizard always takes care of it. I have the same issue with Debian, Ubuntu and Mint, but I was never able to get the display set right, always gave up about a half hour into searching for an answer.

Truth be told, I've been trying Debian, Ubuntu and Mint over the last couple of years and the resolution issue has always been a dealbreaker. I go through the same routine every time expecting different results and end up back with Puppy. However dpup always came up at 1024x768, but dpup has the user run the resolution/keyboard wizard before getting a desktop on first run. I've been chalking up the lupu resolution thing to a Debian quirk and just feeling lucky to have the wizard to fix it.
Strange it only happens on the Medion desktop, not on the laptop IBM Tinkpad R40. But indeed, we're lucky to have a wizard that takes care of thing. :D
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nooby

#936 Post by nooby »

Testing 499 but I am too stupid to get nvidia going. I guess I have to edit a config file or use the pet that cool pup have on his wikka?

A peculiar thing. I used opera to in Q100 to download a tmp file of Dizzy Miss lizzy Larry Williams. Reminded me of when I was 13 years old and loved the Little Richard screaming. It played in Q100 but did not play in Lupu 499.

Firefox can also save youtube files that way. You look into root/tmp and when all is downloaded make a copy of it to your home partition so it doesn't go away.
Then rename it to one name like DizzyMisslizzyLarryWilliams.mp4 and quirky can play it off line. YT maybe do't like it and plug the ability sooner or later.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Jim1911

#937 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:[snip]
Quickpet did give one problem, as reported for lupu-117, the update function froze the desktop which would not respond to any key presses or mouse movement. I waited about 10 min before pressing Ctrl > Alt > Backspace followed by xwin to restore operation. This problem was repeatable, and occurred even though above post indicated an update is available.
Jim :D
Jim, I think I found the problem.. I will attach a patch, please test. :)
Also, for those interested, this patch contains a link to the puppy wiki for open office.
Cheers
Mick, after the patch, update has the same symptom with my existing save file. However, to eliminate possible conflict with other software, I tried it without a save file and it works properly. So now I will reload the software and try to identify the conflict.

Good news - Your patch worked, I loaded the 16 programs that I have been testing with and ran update after each one. Quickpet appears to run correctly and reports no update available, so your patch must have eliminated some software conflict. Since your patch was already applied, I did not determine where the conflict occurred.

Jim :D
Last edited by Jim1911 on Thu 13 May 2010, 15:25, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#938 Post by BarryK »

[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

braindrain

#939 Post by braindrain »

braindrain wrote:I get a blank black screen when starting gxine video (Lupu 117). I have a Intel GM965 video chip.
xine do not work well with the Mobile Intel Chipset GM965. xine project faq:
"unfortunately that's a known problem
with some chipsets and drivers (most commonly Savage chipsets) when
using Xv. You might want to try running gxine -V XShm
to see if the problem is related to the Xv driver. This will unfortunately
be much slower, as lots of things are now done in software instead of
hardware scaling/colour space conversion."

exec gxineshell -V XShm "$@" works.

playdayz

#940 Post by playdayz »

Hi, I brought this up many pages ago, and maybe I've missed the solution in the many pages since (now up to 62 pages), but Wireless does not work on my Dell Latitude E6500. Presently, if I want wireless, I have to attach a USB one. Other than that, it's super - Fast boot, fast wired connection, Fast load of selected browser - again it's Great, but the lack of a convenient internal wireles
s connection is a show-slower (not a stopper, 'cause I'll still play with it).

kkoceski, Kurt, Barry posted a bugfix for the Simple Network Setup. My fingers are crossed that it gets your problem. Otherwise, there will be discussion after release and then 5.0.1.....

playdayz

#941 Post by playdayz »

Medion MD8818 lucid 499 issues

Yes, it is not Lucid Pup per se that sets the initial resolution, rather it is the xorg developers. Sometimes too low, sometimes too high, but mostly right on, especially with newer video cards is my impression.

playdayz

#942 Post by playdayz »

mp has been upgraded in the recent puppies. The ~/.mprc config file included with Puppy is circa 2005, and is not usable, even as a guide for setting mp's configuration from within mp.

If you try to use anything from Puppy's sample config file, either you get a syntax warning, or mp quits with "Segmentation fault".

I did some research. I can provide a config file to replace the one included in Puppy. In fact, I will attach here what I'm currently using; it covers only a small amount of possible configuration settings. If it is useful, I can work up something more extensive.

mp (or mp + urxvt) is buggy compared to the mp version in Puppy 4.1.2, unfortunately.
This is our last day chrisdev and it is not obvious to me unfortunately the relation between .mprc and the file you attached. I am afraid we will have to save this one for 5.0.1--look at it this way--it is first in line. thanks.

kkoceski

Video problem on GX100

#943 Post by kkoceski »

Hi, in addition to waiting for the wireless bug fix, I have a new problem when I try it on an old Dell GX100. The mouse doesn't match up to the window it looks like it's in. I know this sounds weird, but I've seen it on several other distros as well. You can get the mouse clicks to respond to a window, but you have to have it "pointed" to the LEFT of where you see that it should be. This is the only "puppy" that I've seen this problem on.

James C

#944 Post by James C »

Downloading 5.00 right now.....the finish line is within sight :lol:

Bert

#945 Post by Bert »

James C wrote:Downloading 5.00 right now.....the finish line is within sight :lol:
Also downloading 5.00RC. Great speed, thanks for this high-quality connection. Just 5 minutes to go.

But I don't know if the finish line is in sight. It rather feels we're just starting on an exciting new path, so exciting in fact that no one wonders about the finish line. In Puppy Land it seems all that matters is the walking, and the fun meanwhile. What if it would never ever get finished? Let's enjoy the walk, enabled by these talented guys!

Bert
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

tubeguy

#946 Post by tubeguy »

So is the final going to officially be called "Puppy 5" or "Lucid Puppy"?
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

stu90

#947 Post by stu90 »

Thanks, will download 5.00 tonight - going to try and get puppy.look finished for the 15th.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55220

aarf

#948 Post by aarf »

md5sum 5f055ffeb950aadf2497b816a12bbc73
lupu-499.iso___lupu-500.iso.delta
Size: 2.91 MB

Jim1911

#949 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh frugal installation of lupu-500. Initial setup was flawless. As with lupu-449, installed a good sample of the pets and sfs using Quickpet, all are working great. Installed gnome-games with the ppm. Also installed Barry's latest nvidia driver using Quickpet and it’s working great. As usual, I'm using zigbert's DuDE which unfortunately conflicts with Quickpet update function. Of course, there is still a problem with Abiword printing graphics to CUPS-PDF.

The Quickpet problem is the same as reported for the update function in that it froze the desktop and would not respond to any key presses or mouse movement. However, this time I loaded each program and checked it's operation along with Quickpet update and discovered that the conflicting program is DuDE. This is sad since DuDE really dresses up the jwm desktop. I'll also post this on the DuDE post so that zigbert can look into the conflict too. :(

Great job, :D
Jim

James C

#950 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 5.00. First run wizard.......set resolution, time zone, etc. no problems.Drive icons were correct.

Installed Firefox with Browser Installer........fine. Used Quickpet to install Pwidgets, etc. .......no problems.Also checked for updates as well.

Working well so far.......