Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pa_mcclamrock

#781 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:
With the upgrading fixed, using /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and globicons, /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor and defaultbrowser, and /root/.gtkrc-2.0 from lupusave, not from the main file? Pretty please?
Hey pa, I promise we will look at that before upgrading becomes an issue in 5.0.1. Fair?
Fair, I guess--I admit I'm going to start from scratch with a new save file when the final 5.0 release comes out--but it would be excellent if you got it done before 117.Then you'd already know it worked right before you even started fixing things for 5.0.1. :D
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

mave

#782 Post by mave »

Hi mave, Locale chooses the language--so check Abiword/Gnumeric after choosing a Locale. Keyboard is a separate process-
Hi playdayz,

bingo! So this was a misunderstanding... so in remastering I would leave out the chooselocale in first-run or the other thougt for non-english people: I must change the keyboard-settings, so running xorgwizard here is neccessary anyway.

...luxus problem ;-)

Thanks for this great Puppy!

Woof Woof Brysche

#783 Post by Woof Woof Brysche »

Barry Kauler = GOD

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#784 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:I went the fdisk route, but typed fdisk l instead of fdisk -l. :oops:
So here is the output as well as the drive icons display

Code: Select all

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 36.8 GB, 36805536256 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4754 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3002    22695088+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            3003        4754    13245120    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Disk /dev/sdc: 8015 MB, 8015314944 bytes
43 heads, 43 sectors/track, 8466 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1849 * 512 = 946688 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdc1               5        8467     7823424    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
#
When I look in /dev, there is no /dev/sdb1
So altho I can address all other sdbx partitions, the sdb HDD isn't seen. Strange.
In Lucid 114, I have no problems and the complete sdbx partitions are seen and can be used.
After having done the boot with sdb1 (the USB stick) I took care that it wasn't mounted when removing from the system before doing a reboot
All of a sudden after a couple of reboots, I got the sdb1 back again.
Can't find a reason for it.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

James C

#785 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 117 with a new save file on my trusty P3 test box. Used xorgwizard to get my desired 1024x768 resolution......no problem with the drive icon alignment. Partition sizes are correct on mouseover of drive icons.
Used SNS for my internet connection, worked fine and persisted through 4 reboots. :)
Installed Firefox, Pwidgets and Htop with Quickpet without incident as well.

More testing...................... :lol:

Jim1911

#786 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh frugal installation of lupu-117. As with lupu-116, installed a good sample of the pets and sfs using Quickpet, all are working great. Installed gnome-games with the ppm. Also installed Barry's latest nvidia driver using Quickpet and it’s working great. As usual, I'm using zigbert's DuDE which is also working great.

Same problems as before with misaligned drive icons on reboot after creating a save file and selecting sfs with bootmanager, and the minor problem with CUPS-PDF not printing graphics to a pdf file.

Quickpet did give one problem, not previously noticed, pressing the update button, while Amarok was playing music, killed the sound and placed a “Please Wait ...

James C

#787 Post by James C »

Been running 117 pretty hard for several hours, and numerous reboots, and the time shown has been incorrect once or twice. Reboot once and the time would be wrong, correct it and then it may be right for 2 or 3 reboots.......no pattern that I can detect.

Otherwise, its been pretty smooth sailing........ :)

01micko

#788 Post by 01micko »

Jim

I'd love to put the DuDE in there but I was actually against putting Pwidgets in there . The reason is that in a month's time Pwidgets will be up to ver 3.0 and who knows where DuDE will be, maybe ver 1.0? of course wea re fully aware that the radeonhd driver is in there twice! We are looking at possible replacements. Thankfully Lobster came up with his old app LIT, which at least gives a direct link to the DuDE. :)

playdayz..

The Java issue.. hmmm what to do? People are going to want java, no stopping them. Firefox is the only browser with the issue, and unfortunately it is the most popular. They should have fixed it by now, 3.6.3 has been out for awhile. I don't know if Barry has uploaded his 3.6.4 pet yet but apparently if a plugin app crashes it doesn't bring down the browser.

I'm reluctant to take it out, sure I'll update the link but I think java is one thing many people will demand.

Java works with 3.5 series firefox as far as I know. I will be investigating this more, as we don't have too many serious bugs left.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

capoverde

#789 Post by capoverde »

Testing LuPu 117, just saw a typo in the dialog for CPU frequency scaling -- "OUIT" instead of "QUIT". BTW, in Puppy 4.2 WhoDo corrected a misspelling that the following Puppies still carry on - "take affect" instead of "take effect". The respective dialogs are in

/usr/sbin/eventmanager (2 instances)
/usr/local/jwmconfig2/jwmConfigMgr (1 instance)
/usr/local/jwmconfig2/taskbar (1 instance)
/usr/sbin/set-xftdpi (1 instance)

Having the net connection configured from the "First run" tab is fine; maybe the locale setting, requiring X to be restarted, would be better at the last place there.
Is the clock set automatically at startup? There's no timeserver entry in the main menu (some of my boxes often "forget" the right time).

LuPu is snappy and friendly, installing more apps has never been easier, Chromium is unbelievably fast: the overall Puppy experience gets more addictive than ever...

P123

Ubuntu themes?

#790 Post by P123 »

Is there a way to get Ubuntu themes working in this puplet? I love the Ultimate Edition 2.6 theme but could not get it to work here, whereas wallpapers downloaded in a .deb file for another derivative of Ubuntu loaded into the backgrounds folder without any problem.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Lucid 117, still same problems as reported already

#791 Post by Béèm »

Wow, hadn't realized the tittle was changed to 117.

Started as usual with pfix=ram.

Unfortunately the issues I had reported are still there.

1- desktop drive icons at 0GB after having, on the first run, configured the keyboard (and thus X), and when the desktop came back. Before doing this, the desktop drive icons had the correct size.

2- After running bootmanager to add my pidgin sfs and wine sfs, the desktop drive icons are misaligned when the desktop came up after the reboot. Up to this point they were correctly aligned.

3- I took the advantage of setting up the network with the added option in the first run. When rebooted, the configuration didn't persist. I redid the configuration, but at next boot, that configuration was 'lost'. I am speaking about the Simple Network Setup. But when I look into /etc/simple_network_setup/connections, the correct info is in the file. So it looks that this file isn't read at boot.

4- The /tmp directory still shows files from some 24 hours ago and specially the booxxxx.log files. So in case I have to diagnose something, I am not sure I have the correct information.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#792 Post by BarryK »

Re 117 beta:
Wait--darn--it looks like tubeguy's backgrounds didn't make it somehow. Sorry. We'll get them in 118. What the heck--they should have made it--this is a mystery--when this happens it means that I did not fully understand how Woof was going to work. I'll get it next time though. (Another lesson learned.)
playdayz,
3builddistro reduces the number of files in /usr/share/backgrounds. After you have chosen the default, it does that, to save space. There are rather a lot of them in Woof, so it cuts them down to about 5 I think. You will have to mess with that bit of code, or "cheat" and copy one or more in just before the lupu-xxx.sfs gets built from sandbox3/rootfs-complete.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#793 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:The Java issue.. hmmm what to do? People are going to want java, no stopping them. Firefox is the only browser with the issue, and unfortunately it is the most popular. They should have fixed it by now, 3.6.3 has been out for awhile. I don't know if Barry has uploaded his 3.6.4 pet yet but apparently if a plugin app crashes it doesn't bring down the browser.
Yes, it is uploaded, see if it works in Lupu:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... .4beta.pet

...might be wise to use a throw-away lupusave file though. It sets itself up as the default browser. It has a uninstall script that should restore the previous browser, but not tested.

It was compiled with a more recent Sqlite than you have in Lupu, so you might have to install these:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3.1-q1.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3.1-q1.pet

...the first on anyway.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

darwinev0lved

installing java

#794 Post by darwinev0lved »

Has anybody managed to install Java on lupup 117?
I had little trouble installing jre-6u20-linux-i586.bin on, I think it was either lupup 114 or 115. Now when I try, the CPU maxes out and nothing actually happens.
I may try copying the files I made before as I've still got the savefile from the earlier lupup that i used.
Can't do any more testing until I get Java installed (need it for Open Office and related writing tasks)
Still have to boot with pfix=nox, but once in, all seems (from my limited testing) to be good.

Regards, Jon.

puppymartin

#795 Post by puppymartin »

117: works great.
Maybe mentioned at one of the 53 pages in this thread, but you can select only once a file in Nathans Wallpaper:
Click on a file then apply and then you cannot click (select) another file.

(I saw my old puppy4.3 was there. I made a Lucid wallpaper to replace the 4.3)
Attachments
LucidPuppy.zip
1600x1200 pixels
(60.4 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
LucidPuppySmall.jpg
small
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 1118 times

01micko

Re: installing java

#796 Post by 01micko »

darwinev0lved wrote:Has anybody managed to install Java on lupup 117?
I had little trouble installing jre-6u20-linux-i586.bin on, I think it was either lupup 114 or 115. Now when I try, the CPU maxes out and nothing actually happens.
I may try copying the files I made before as I've still got the savefile from the earlier lupup that i used.
Can't do any more testing until I get Java installed (need it for Open Office and related writing tasks)
Still have to boot with pfix=nox, but once in, all seems (from my limited testing) to be good.

Regards, Jon.
New development.... re java

It can work with Firefox-3.6.3 .... stay tuned :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

aarf

#797 Post by aarf »

md5sum 655944fe9b1b70cef3e7bbc66f207569
lupu-116.iso___lupu-117.iso.delta
Size: 2.73 MB
Last edited by aarf on Mon 10 May 2010, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#798 Post by rcrsn51 »

Lobster wrote:when I try running some java for example
http://www.screentoaster.com/

Firefox crashes
Boo!
Hope Firefox is updated I rather liked using it - till now
I think that this particular site is a Java problem, not Firefox. I tested it in a distro that uses an old version of the Java plugin and it works.

But in Quirky with a newer Java, it wouldn't load. But Firefox didn't actually crash. On other Java sites, FF 3.6.3 has worked fine.

wuwei

#799 Post by wuwei »

Lobster wrote:
when I try running some java for example
http://www.screentoaster.com/

Firefox crashes
Boo!
Hope Firefox is updated I rather liked using it - till now

I think that this particular site is a Java problem, not Firefox. I tested it in a distro that uses an old version of the Java plugin and it works.

But in Quirky with a newer Java, it wouldn't load. But Firefox didn't actually crash. On other Java sites, FF 3.6.3 has worked fine.
I downloaded FF 364 from here
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/al ... #languages
installed Barry's sqlite pet from page 53 of this thread,
deleted /usr/lib/firefox
and unpacked FF 364 tar,gz to /usr/lib
started Firefox from the desktop icon.

Result: Firefox runs great, and screentoaster.com is fine.

aarf

#800 Post by aarf »

first run configuration image is here. 116 was ok. 117 is back to the blank window on boot and text outside of boxes of 115.

quickpet times out after about 2 seconds of trying with this pink message "Connection timed out .Please try again later."
this is the same connection which i just downloaded lupu117 in about 4 hours. around 9Kb/sec.