Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#766 Post by Lobster »

I was working on it yesterday
good news - hope something comes of it 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#767 Post by Lobster »

I cleared out the backgrounds and added new ones
/usr/share/backgrounds

One or two changes and applies are OK
and then it becomes impossible to click with the mouse or move up or down to a new selection

So I go back one directory to share
back into backgrounds and once again I can select
Is this something to do with refresh
or the new backgrounds_original directory?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

cifa

#768 Post by cifa »

thanks for the great work on this folks.

I have a video issue tho' - prob due to my Intel g41 chipset.
Lucid boots at 1280 x 1024 on Intel driver
I run keyboard & vid setter
I choose UK keyboard
I then choose Intel (currently i810 only...etc)
then have to run keyboard setter again
I choose 'more' as dont want 800x600.
I choose 1280 x 1024 but get booted to 800x600 on Vesa.
gxine works fine in Vesa btw. lol. crashes in 1280x1024 using ?Intel driver at 1st boot.
How can i retrieve Intel driver @ 1280 x 1024?

btw - ran Ubuntu 10.4. Boots 1280 x 1024. Totem plays vids perfectly. do you think that's achievable with Puppy/Luicd?

many thanks.

mave

Network setup AND chooselocale on first-run

#769 Post by mave »

Hi,

1. network-setup doesn't work for me in 115/6 with my internal r8169: no dhcp, no static ip. Taking an external usb connector rtl8150 it's okay - got this result with all (!) network wizards.

2. (choose)Locale in first-run has no effects. Only after running xorgwizard new keyboard is available.

Hmmm...?
Attachments
lupu115-6-netsetup.jpg
(65.65 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

playdayz

#770 Post by playdayz »

The auto screen configuration is great but would it be better in a slightly higher resolution. I guess you do have to consider the small screens on netbooks though.

I wasn't sure which browser to install because the descriptions did not provide a version number.
Thanks smokey01. The initial resolution is actually set by xorg, not us. sometimes it is too high, sometimes too low. You can use the Resolution setter in the First Run Wizard or Menu -> Setup -> Xorg Video Wizard to adjust the resolution.

All the browsers are the latest official versions. We could say that somewhere I guess--but probably won't. There are quite a few changes ahead of that I am afraid.

playdayz

#771 Post by playdayz »

With the upgrading fixed, using /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and globicons, /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor and defaultbrowser, and /root/.gtkrc-2.0 from lupusave, not from the main file? Pretty please?

Hey pa, I promise we will look at that before upgrading becomes an issue in 5.0.1. Fair?

playdayz

#772 Post by playdayz »

"hurry up or i will kill you" among other exploding aspects fails my violence aversion preferences
Yes aarf, I thought hard about it. My daughter played it a lot when she was 8-12 and it doesn't appear to have done much damage to her. It is a stable full screen game with lots of flash and action. I am still listening.

playdayz

#773 Post by playdayz »

Q1 now it never lose connection but in Lupu it does each 30 minutes despite using SNS
so Lupu need to learn from Q1
Yes Nooby, but what specifically? I hope someone might figure it out.

playdayz

#774 Post by playdayz »

One little hitch: installed Chromium with Quickpet, all went fine, all menus are localized (yippeee). Tried Opera: same success (2nd yippeee). Tried Firefox: works OK but menus stay in English... glab Sad .
Capoverde,

2 out of 3 is .... we should get 3 out of 3. I have an enormous amount to do today to get 117, with all of this great feedback since yesterday. Firefox certainly has the locale files. What about Seamonkey? it certainly has the files also. Abiword and Gnumeric coming up in the locale language is a good thing--this could be a decided strength of Lucid Puppy.

Maybe someone has time to investigate this in the next couple of days.

BTW, Thank you to everyone for all of the help throughout this process. It simply could not have been done without you. There is a lot new in 117 (later today) and therefore it will not be an RC. It seems like we might be close to a good one, so we will not rush. 117 will be a beta and very likely 118 also because we must make sure all the new things shake down properly.

playdayz

#775 Post by playdayz »

Quickpet takes me here to download java
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 025#183025

Does it work in Lucid 116?
Not for me . . .
I am using Firefox
Hey 01micko, after 117 let's look at all of the "minor entries" in Quickpet and just kill the ones that are not plug and play. OK, maybe we can try to fix....
As I understand, this Firefox is just the static build from the Firefox site.(
Correct.

playdayz

#776 Post by playdayz »

(choose)Locale in first-run has no effects. Only after running xorgwizard new keyboard is available.
Hi mave, Locale chooses the language--so check Abiword/Gnumeric after choosing a Locale. Keyboard is a separate process--there are technical reasons in Puppy for that separation--but also I believe practical reasons in that some choose one and not the other. Thanks.

nooby

#777 Post by nooby »

Thanks playdayz

I will try to find a thread where I desperately tried to get somebody to help me with keeping connection. I need to remember what search word to use.

After I applied the suggestions they had that repaired both puppy431 and Quirky for me. Before they lost connection too.

But I don't remember it well enough. I remember vaguely that somebody gave me one instruction per post he did and I felt like a little kid and felt humiliated but in the end when I got over my hurted pride it did succeed and then it seems that Barry applied it too to next update of Quirky because it worked after that or maybe I changed from using something else to SNS when setting up connection but that does not help on lupu

Edit

I made a search and I have found three or four or five threads me active asking for help- in some threads people was very generous and tried to help but I failed to find why Q works where puppy and Lupu fail to keep it.

I know there is at least two threads more to look for. I search more today or tomorrow. if I fail to remember the needed search word. SNS maybe.

I should look in my PMs too if anything is there.

I think it was Barry that changed something so suddenly Quirky just worked for me it kept the connection while the older puppies did not.
After quirky 13 or so.

I remember vaguely that we iterated tips and trix we told each other in one thread. One went into a lib??? or .cfg file and changed something and after that change then then it keep it.

OverDrive had a similar script for dhcp?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 677#387677
# Nooby's Auto renew DHCP lease script

while [ 0 ] # repeat for ever
do
sleep 900 # sleep for 15 minutes before repeating
killall dhcpcd # kill current DHCP session
sleep 1 # wait a second may not be needed
rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info #cleanup last session details
rm -f /var/run/*.pid #cleanup last session details
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d eth0 #start new DHCP session
done
He made it for my sake. Sadly me was not clever enough to apply it tough.

But it kind of do something similar as what wuwei suggests?

What can it be in Q1 that makes it keep connection when Lupu fails.

I hope Barry read this and suggest what it could be that is different between them.
Last edited by nooby on Sun 09 May 2010, 16:52, edited 2 times in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gerry

#778 Post by gerry »

Tried Lucid Puppy 116 live cd on my old machine, Intel Celeron 600MHz, 256MB ram. Won't boot, got the

Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered file system... Kernel Panic- not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Will there one day be a retro kernel version? Is this even possible?

gerry

wuwei

pppoe

#779 Post by wuwei »

Spend all afternoon to figure out a way to establish the pppoe connection at startup and not loosing it upon reboot. This is my - probably not very elegant - solution:

The problem comes from a ppp0 connection that establishes itself on startup. No idea where it comes from and why it is there. So manually one would have to Stop all connections in the pppoe_gui, then hit Start again. To do this automatically ...

Create a file pppoe.sh in /root/Startup; content:

Code: Select all

sleep 10
pppoe-stop_shell 
/action
sleep 5
pppoe-start_shell
/action
Make this file executable (right click - properties)

Note: Shorter sleep times did not work.

With this startup file, Lupu116 reboots with a pppoe connection automatically established after 15 seconds.

If this should not be sufficient, then additionally change the Setup of the pppoe connection. Instead of autoDHCP, give named DNS.

To find the proper DNS when you have setup autoDHCP:
> setup icon
> connect to Internet
> Detailed network interface information
> DNS

Use these DNS numbers in Roaring Penguin setup routine.

This is a very crude workaround and some of you "masters" will surely know how to refine my approach.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#780 Post by Lobster »

I can't seem to download coolpup's pet
downloaded OK
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

yep definitely there . . .
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

when I try running some java for example
http://www.screentoaster.com/

Firefox crashes
Boo!
Hope Firefox is updated I rather liked using it - till now
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

pa_mcclamrock

#781 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:
With the upgrading fixed, using /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and globicons, /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor and defaultbrowser, and /root/.gtkrc-2.0 from lupusave, not from the main file? Pretty please?
Hey pa, I promise we will look at that before upgrading becomes an issue in 5.0.1. Fair?
Fair, I guess--I admit I'm going to start from scratch with a new save file when the final 5.0 release comes out--but it would be excellent if you got it done before 117.Then you'd already know it worked right before you even started fixing things for 5.0.1. :D
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

mave

#782 Post by mave »

Hi mave, Locale chooses the language--so check Abiword/Gnumeric after choosing a Locale. Keyboard is a separate process-
Hi playdayz,

bingo! So this was a misunderstanding... so in remastering I would leave out the chooselocale in first-run or the other thougt for non-english people: I must change the keyboard-settings, so running xorgwizard here is neccessary anyway.

...luxus problem ;-)

Thanks for this great Puppy!

Woof Woof Brysche

#783 Post by Woof Woof Brysche »

Barry Kauler = GOD

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#784 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:I went the fdisk route, but typed fdisk l instead of fdisk -l. :oops:
So here is the output as well as the drive icons display

Code: Select all

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 36.8 GB, 36805536256 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4754 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3002    22695088+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            3003        4754    13245120    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Disk /dev/sdc: 8015 MB, 8015314944 bytes
43 heads, 43 sectors/track, 8466 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1849 * 512 = 946688 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdc1               5        8467     7823424    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
#
When I look in /dev, there is no /dev/sdb1
So altho I can address all other sdbx partitions, the sdb HDD isn't seen. Strange.
In Lucid 114, I have no problems and the complete sdbx partitions are seen and can be used.
After having done the boot with sdb1 (the USB stick) I took care that it wasn't mounted when removing from the system before doing a reboot
All of a sudden after a couple of reboots, I got the sdb1 back again.
Can't find a reason for it.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

James C

#785 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 117 with a new save file on my trusty P3 test box. Used xorgwizard to get my desired 1024x768 resolution......no problem with the drive icon alignment. Partition sizes are correct on mouseover of drive icons.
Used SNS for my internet connection, worked fine and persisted through 4 reboots. :)
Installed Firefox, Pwidgets and Htop with Quickpet without incident as well.

More testing...................... :lol: