Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ecube

Threat hoax

#721 Post by ecube »

I installed lupu116 frugal and downloaded seamonkey via quickpet. Opening the webbrowser my screen was filled by strange security threat items from firesavez7.com. Clearly aimed at windows users. I have no windows system installed on the lupu partition. Does anybody have an explanation?
:?
ecube
Attachments
threat2.jpg
firesavez7.com download
(171.73 KiB) Downloaded 620 times

capoverde

#722 Post by capoverde »

Running LuPu 116, very fast bootup, the kbd layout for Italy is now OK (on 115 it stuck to US).

AbiWord and Gnumeric do start with localized menus -- happened with 115 already. If all apps could have this, Puppy would quickly jump to No.1 in Distrowatch...

Partition sizes shown hovering the mouse cursor on the drive icons are still always 0,0GB, both for FAT and ext filesystems.

Will test all browsers, presently using Puppybrowser which seems OK.

playdayz

#723 Post by playdayz »

Help please. Can someone please look at /usr/local/simple-network-setup/sns and tell me how to fix this

playdayz

#724 Post by playdayz »

More help please. Can someone please look at this code from the First Run Wizard and tell me how to get the indents the same on the two bottom entries. Thank you.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

ICONDIR="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons"

if [ ! -L /mnt/home ]; then

export firstrunwiz="
<window title=\"First Run Configuration\">

<vbox>

<text xalign=\"2\"><label>\"Welcome to Lucid Puppy 5.0.  The graphical desktop has been configured automatically.  Here are several tools that you can use to personalize your Puppy.  You can use the ones you want now, if any, and if you do not use them now, they are available for use later under Desktop and Setup in the Menu.\"</label></text>

<frame Locale>
   <hbox>
    <text><label>Run Locale to set language, currency and local settings</label></text>
    <button>
     <input file>$ICONDIR/mini-font.xpm</input>
     <action>exec chooselocale &</action>
    </button>
   </hbox>
  </frame>
 <frame Timezone>
   <hbox>
    <text><label>Run the Timezone Setter</label></text>
    <button>
     <input file>$ICONDIR/mini-clock.xpm</input>
     <action>exec timezone-set &</action>
    </button>
   </hbox>
  </frame>
 <frame Date and Time>
   <hbox>
    <text><label>Run the Date and Time Setter</label></text>
    <button>
     <input file>$ICONDIR/mini-clock.xpm</input>
     <action>exec set-time-for-puppy &</action>
    </button>
   </hbox>
  </frame>
 <frame Keyboard and Video Resolution>
   <hbox>
    <text xalign=\"2\"><label>\"The Keyboard and Video Resolution Setter will allow you to choose a non-US keyboard and to select the preferred resolution for your screen display.  It will also allow you to select an alternate driver for Intel video chips.\"</label></text>
   </hbox>
    <hbox>
    <text><label>Run the Keyboard and Video Resolution Setter</label></text>
    <button>
     <input file>$ICONDIR/prompt16.xpm</input>
     <action>exec excon</action>
    </button>
   </hbox>
  </frame>
 <frame Simple Network Setup>
   <hbox>
    <text xalign=\"2\"><label>\"Puppy has several tools to connect to the Internet but this is the easiest and it works in most situations.  If you do not know that you have an unusual connection, then it will probably work for you.  If it does not, then please click the connect icon to the left on the desktop when you are ready to connect.\"</label></text>
   </hbox>
   <hbox>
    <text><label>Run the Simple Network Setup</label></text>
    <button>
     <input file>$ICONDIR/mini-telnet.xpm</input>
     <action>exec sns</action>
    </button>
   </hbox>
  </frame>
   <hbox>
    <button ok></button>
   </hbox> 
 </vbox>

</window>"
gtkdialog3 -p firstrunwiz -c

unset firstrunwiz

fi

playdayz

#725 Post by playdayz »

I installed lupu116 frugal and downloaded seamonkey via quickpet. Opening the webbrowser my screen was filled by strange security threat items from firesavez7.com. Clearly aimed at windows users. I have no windows system installed on the lupu partition. Does anybody have an explanation?

ecube
Did this really happen ecube? My hold on reality is tenuous at best. You opened seamonkey by clicking the browse icon on the desktop? Or Seamonkey web browser in the menu? It will open to the "Lucid Puppy Jumping Off Page." The very first time you opened it? You had not gone anywhere in any browser before?

playdayz

#726 Post by playdayz »

Partition sizes shown hovering the mouse cursor on the drive icons are still always 0,0GB, both for FAT and ext filesystems.
Yes, this is one that occurs in Quirky and other Puppies too I think and no one can figure it out. I have an NTFS partition on sda1 and linux ext3 on sda2 and then ext3 on sdb1, 5, and 6, and I just can't make it happen.

James C

Re: Threat hoax

#727 Post by James C »

ecube wrote:I installed lupu116 frugal and downloaded seamonkey via quickpet. Opening the webbrowser my screen was filled by strange security threat items from firesavez7.com. Clearly aimed at windows users. I have no windows system installed on the lupu partition. Does anybody have an explanation?
:?
ecube
Looks like SeaMonkey simply got hijacked someway.......I don't see how it could happen from the jumping off page either.

Just downloaded and installed SeaMonkey with Quickpet, no problems here....posting with it now. :)

Partition sizes.......this test box has 1-NTFS partition, 6-EXT3 and 1-swap partition sizes always show.I've got and ide drive on this one, could problem be related to drive type?

aarf

#728 Post by aarf »

<text><label>Run the Keyboard and Video Resolution Setter</
label></text>
carriage return where it shouldnt be?

playdayz

#729 Post by playdayz »

We have Barry's go-ahead now to move to release of Lucid Puppy 5.0.

He suggested we use the newest xorgwizard so we will do another Beta, 117, tomorrow. I am using a preliminary build of 117 now. In addition to the new xorgwizard, we will add Simple Network Setup to the First Run Wizard. That only makes sense I think--everyone needs to connect. Barry also said that his Network Classic was broken and to take it out. OK.

aarf, I think that broken line is an artifact of copying it to the browser but I will check.

Is this what gtkdialog is supposed to do maybe, to minimize the number of lines? (In the First Run Wizard code above)
---------------------------------------------------------------

It is not the most obvious of things why the Keyboard Setter runs with xorgwizard. The keyboard setter needs a full xorg.conf is one reason, and the code for the keyboard setter is integral in xorgwizard. Just in case anyone asked. It would be something to explore in the future.

capoverde

#730 Post by capoverde »

Hi Playdayz,

about partition sizes in hover-on popups: they do give correct values in Quirky 018 (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 964#415964).

Barry surely knows why, since he fixed that from earlier Quirkies.
Last edited by capoverde on Sat 08 May 2010, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#731 Post by aarf »

the problem is actually in the written text block itself. some sort of "invisible character" i guess.
delete everything in the text block after "desktop" and retype it.
Attachments
strange text.jpg
(61.55 KiB) Downloaded 1223 times

ecube

Re: Threat hoax

#732 Post by ecube »

James C wrote:Looks like SeaMonkey simply got hijacked someway.......I don't see how it could happen from the jumping off page either.
The explaination is that after installing Java I opened http://www.chessproblems.com to check that a java image appeared.I was redirected from the chess site by the phishing attack. Spoofs to be security software
:D
ecube

Bert

#733 Post by Bert »

capoverde wrote:
AbiWord and Gnumeric do start with localized menus -- happened with 115 already. If all apps could have this, Puppy would quickly jump to No.1 in Distrowatch...
Capoverde , that is exciting news!
I've been waiting for this to happen for a long time.
Hope the other apps will follow soon.
I've been playing with Quirky 1.0 and really enjoyed it. Downloaded a localized (dutch) Firefox 3.6.3 in Quirky without any problem. It runs stable and fast.
Time to start trying out Lucid Puppy :)
Internationalization....Slowly but surely Puppy is getting there.

Thanks Playdayz and all Devs involved!
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

aarf

#734 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:Help please. Can someone please look at /usr/local/simple-network-setup/sns and tell me how to fix this
must be something specific to your computer
Attachments
sns.jpg
(49.87 KiB) Downloaded 1191 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Strange tmp directory after boot

#735 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:I wanted to inspect the boot log files and went to /tmp.
In the picture the red line indicates the time I booted.
The snapshot of /tmp was taken some 5 minutes after boot.
So the weird thing is that I have quite some files with a date and time from the previous day of which the bootsysinit.log and bootkernel.log

How can that be possible?
As far as I understand, /tmp is emptied on shutdown.

Also there are files which have a time which is some 1:40 hour later than the boot time. Weird also.

I did the exercise for Quirky 018 and the files in /tmp start at the time of boot. But I also have that jump in time with respect to the boot time as indicated by the red line.
Could other people verify this and report back.
As other people have this also, there is something quite wrong in Lucid.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Ray MK

#736 Post by Ray MK »

Hi everyone

Just tried lucid 116 - very nice.

Everything I normally do and use seems ok.

However it would be nice if Psync, Acpid and the temp icon could be
included (as in Quirky and Wary).

Running on my 10yr old IBM A21m laptop. P111 and 192mb ram.
Manual frugal install to ext3 on sda2.

As always - very best regards and many thanks for all you have done.

Ray

aarf

#737 Post by aarf »

this -4 fix is not in 116. it is needed for some internet connections that maybe go through proxies. if it is not there quickpet just freezes.
even with that fix quickpet hasnt managed to install any pets on any connection. times out after download has started and doesnt resume..
last good version was in 114 for me if i recall correctly not 115.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 08 May 2010, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#738 Post by smokey01 »

Looks ok here on a VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
Attachments
sns.jpg
Screen shot of SNS
(56.89 KiB) Downloaded 311 times

smokey01

#739 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz, a really good job on this. Looks good and works great.

The auto screen configuration is great but would it be better in a slightly higher resolution. I guess you do have to consider the small screens on netbooks though.

I wasn't sure which browser to install because the descriptions did not provide a version number. I opted for seamonkey and was happy see it was 2.0.4.

I would recommend you upgrade to Pburn 3.2.5 as some earlier versions have the finger catching problem in the draw when it closes too fast.

Quickpet is great, I really like that concept. I know it may be difficult to implement but an enhancement for Quickpet might be to give users the ability to remove default software. For example this distro comes with 4 calculators. Many would like to remove these and replace them with galculator. It's easy to remove user installed software with the PPM but not so with default. petbegone did something like this in the past, does that still work?

Regards

Smokey

Anyway, first impressions are great.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Lucid 116 you2pup not downloading

#740 Post by Béèm »

I never tried before, but now I wanted to download some video's from youtube and tried with you2pup, copying the url and filling in the other fields.
No video's were downloaded. I only got a small file with contents:

wget: missing URL
Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

Try `wget --help' for more options.
Seems that the URL didn't make it.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]