Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#631 Post by playdayz »

1. Abiword still prints a black box instead of a photo when printing to CUP-PDF. See attached desktop photo which compares file created with dpup484 and lupu115.
2. Unable to install esword with the wine provided in "Popular pets". Did not try it with anything else.
Jim1911

Abiword--pdf--black boxes might be one we let slide, since Print to File will print a good pdf page. And I think 8-bit said that Cups_pdf works in some circumstances.

Wine. I just uploaded wine 1.1.43 by green_dome from the forum as one of the Quickpet programs--it should show up in 116 Friday. it has a lot of extras to contribute to usability. I hope it works for esword.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 65&t=53675

Oh and Jim, you have the icon misplacement right? is that when you boot first time pfix=ram directly to a desktop, or is it after you change the resolution? Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 05 May 2010, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

A distinct icon for scsi drives would be nice

#632 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

A distinct icon for genuine scsi drives would be nice. For example, this is Lupu-008 (113 looks identical, except I have not yet given it the desktop icons for Opera and Geany):

http://i44.tinypic.com/207n89g.jpg

and this is Lupu-008 with the kernel recompiled to include scsi support:

http://i39.tinypic.com/b6vy9c.jpg

The latter shows my four scsi drives all right, but misrepresents them as usb drives.

playdayz

#633 Post by playdayz »

SHS, I hope we can experiment with that kernel as soon as we get LP out the door. We could offer it as a straight replacement couldn't we, as a pet?

Jim1911

#634 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:Abiword--pdf--black boxes might be one we let slide, since Print to File will print a good pdf page. Adn I think 8-bit said that Cups_pdf works in some circumstances.
CUPS-PDF prints text fine, just fails on graphics. OpenOffice using CUPS-PDF to print to a file rather than a printer has the same problem with graphics. I doubt that many users will be affected by leaving that bug in for the time being.

Green-dome's wine pet is a good choice.

As you've indicated, the drive icons are fine on initial auto boot. On my system, after a save file is created, and changes are made (ie. sfs added) to bootup is when they will misalign. Then it's a matter of using the erase/redraw tick box in the drive icons manager then restartX to correct the alignment.

Great job clearing so many problems this quickly.
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

Sit Heel Speak

#635 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

playdayz wrote:SHS, I hope we can experiment with that kernel as soon as we get LP out the door. We could offer it as a straight replacement couldn't we, as a pet?
Maybe, maybe not. There are issues to be solved before this kernel is ready for canine consumption. scsi support isn't all I gave it, I also made it realtime preemption and switched-on the OLPC support.

Also it was not compiled using the same gcc as Barry compiled it with, rather I compiled it using the Ubuntu 4.4.3 gcc (in other words, I compiled it on Lucid-008 using its own devx).

The benefit of compiling the kernel with the Lucid devx, and then turning it into a .pet, and then woof-building a Lucid around that, is that the resulting Lucid can then compile the nVidia drivers without resorting to any tricks beyond 'make prepare'.

The unbenefit, which may or may not stem from either the rt preemption or the gcc version or both, is that some Puppy mainstays refuse to work with this kernel, most notably PNethood. I am sleuthing this.

Also, like all other 2.6.33.2 Puppy kernels, it does not drive my sound card, as reported here.

8-bit

#636 Post by 8-bit »

Jim1911 wrote:
playdayz wrote:Abiword--pdf--black boxes might be one we let slide, since Print to File will print a good pdf page. Adn I think 8-bit said that Cups_pdf works in some circumstances.
CUPS-PDF prints text fine, just fails on graphics. OpenOffice using CUPS-PDF to print to a file rather than a printer has the same problem with graphics. I doubt that many users will be affected by leaving that bug in for the time being.

Green-dome's wine pet is a good choice.

As you've indicated, the drive icons are fine on initial auto boot. On my system, after a save file is created, and changes are made (ie. sfs added) to bootup is when they will misalign. Then it's a matter of using the erase/redraw tick box in the drive icons manager then restartX to correct the alignment.

Great job clearing so many problems this quickly.
Before you jump the gun, on cups, try this.
Go to any site on the internet that has some graphics.
Select print page from the browser menu.
Select CUPSPDF as the printer.
After it asks for a fliename and prints open the created file.
The graphics will be fine in the created PDF file.
At least, that worked as to making a pdf from an internet page.
Why does it bomb on a user created PDF file that has graphics?
I honestly do not know.

frank1939

#637 Post by frank1939 »

Thank you all for this wonderful puppy.

Lupu115: started from CD intoRAM

1) It finds the right video settings and started with a graphical desktop. But when I change the keyboard layout with xorgwizard the probe fails and I must select the resolution manually. It could be difficult for an unexperienced user.

2) When I try to innstall the browser I must connect to the internet first. The connect wizard could be also to complicated for an unexperienced user. SNS works. Is it possible to setup the internet connection automatically like Ubuntu (and others) can do it ?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Lucid 115 Simple Network Setup router selection

#638 Post by Béèm »

The problem described here (not being able to move the window with ALT-left button) is solved.
I am happy for this.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Jim1911

#639 Post by Jim1911 »

8-bit wrote: Before you jump the gun, on cups, try this.
Go to any site on the internet that has some graphics.
Select print page from the browser menu.
Select CUPSPDF as the printer.
After it asks for a fliename and prints open the created file.
The graphics will be fine in the created PDF file.
At least, that worked as to making a pdf from an internet page.
Why does it bomb on a user created PDF file that has graphics?
I honestly do not know.
Tried this and it printed the pdf perfectly including graphics, weird, that it can't do the same for a doc file. Incidentally, that's a great way to print from a web page.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Lucid 115 Desktop drive icon misalignment and size info.

#640 Post by Béèm »

I have size 0GB and misalignment problems passing through 3 stages.
See the pictures.
1 - icons aligned after boot with pfix=ram and size correctly indicated.
2 - icons aligned but size 0GB after running Desktop drive icon manager to redraw.
3 - icons misaligned after a boot when with sfs selected by bootmanager (so with a save file)

Correction, the last picture is indeed from Lucid 115 and not from Lucid 113 as the file name indicates.
Attachments
desktop-drive-icons-Lucid-115-1e-run.png
desktop drive icons aligned after boot with pfix=ram and size OK
(30.96 KiB) Downloaded 1235 times
desktop-drive-icons-Lucid-115-1e-run-drive-icon-mgr.png
desktop drive icons aligned but size 0GB after running desktop drive icon manager to redraw.
(30.38 KiB) Downloaded 1173 times
desktop-drive-icons-Lucid-113-after-save-file-bootmgr.png
Misaligned after selecting sfs files (save file) with bootmanager and rebooting. Size 0GB
(28.36 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pa_mcclamrock

#641 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

frank1939 wrote:Lupu115 [ . . . ]finds the right video settings and started with a graphical desktop. But when I change the keyboard layout with xorgwizard the probe fails and I must select the resolution manually. It could be difficult for an unexperienced user.
True, but sometimes even inexperienced users need to know their video resolution. My recommendation: in First Run Configuration, just above the button you click to get xorgwizard, (1) add a conspicuous warning that the user needs to know the video resolution, and (2) inform the user what the current (automatic) resolution is, in case the user is satisfied with it or doesn't know whether another one would work.
2) When I try to innstall the browser I must connect to the internet first. The connect wizard could be also to complicated for an unexperienced user. SNS works. Is it possible to setup the internet connection automatically like Ubuntu (and others) can do it ?
My best guess would be "Not in Lucid Puppy 5.0!" My recommendation: if it is possible, please just add it on as an option, so those of us who are used to how the connect wizard works can continue to use it as before.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#642 Post by playdayz »

But when I change the keyboard layout with xorgwizard the probe fails and I must select the resolution manually. It could be difficult for an unexperienced user.
Hi frank1939, the probe is not failing--that is what it is supposed to do. That is a good point though, that in order to change the keyboard you need to know your video resolution. The one that xorgwizard chooses for you is usually safe--you can always rerun it if you find you need a different resolution. it is usually safe to pick the 24 bit resolution over the 16-bit. Probably we will not change this for Lucid Pup first release--because we are so close that we will only change something that is quite serious, that threatens data loss for instance. People have many ideas already for improvement which is wonderful--after release we will have the opportunity to explore them at leisure. Thanks.

playdayz

#643 Post by playdayz »

i have a question about drive icon alignment. When they get misaligned after various operations, and you manually realign them, do they stay realigned until some other operation changes them. I know this is irritating and I am optimistic it will be fixed but if it is just a question of a one time manual realignment, well that is something I have seen in Puppy from time immemorial--well, since the pup_event demon started.

If one changes resolution with xrandr, the screen gets messed up because jwm cannot redraw itself properly,but you fix it once and it is OK until the next time.

Please let us keep testing and remember what we are doing now--retesting everything to make sure what was fixed has stayed fixed and there are no serious problems that have crept in. If we were to miss something big that involved data loss then the drive icon thing would be quickly forgotten.

pa_mcclamrock

#644 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:i have a question about drive icon alignment. When they get misaligned after various operations, and you manually realign them, do they stay realigned until some other operation changes them.
Mine do, and now they're completely OK (since I booted with no pfix=ram and upgraded from 113).
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#645 Post by playdayz »

Opera Puzzle. I can make the fonts look much better in Opera but it was associated with a problem. Maybe someone else can give it a try. I am talking about the Opera-10.10 that is available in Quickpet. What I did first was to change all of the Opera fonts to DejaVu Sans--in Tools -> Preferences -> Fonts. And they looked much better. I then took the .opera directory from /root and packaged it in the pet so that those font preferences would hold when it was installed. OK. But then someone noticed that youtube or hulu would not play in Opera--and the reason was that Opera would not recognize the Flashplayer that was installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (as it should). In fact it would not recognize any Flashplayer anywhere. However, if I started from scratch with the Opera from Opera.com--where you see the License agreement as now when you install Opera with Quickpet. Flashplayer works, but now the fonts are back to the Opera standard Nimbus Sans which do not look nearly as good imo.

This is fixed.So, can anyone make a pet of Opera-10.10 which will recognize Flashplayer and also use the DejaVu Sans font? Of course, anyone can make the change themselves but it would be nice for Opera to look good right out of the box, so to speak. Thanks.

BTW, I was really hoping that Opera 10.50 would be official before Lucid Pup was released, so we could include it--in my experience it is noticeably faster than 10.10. Maybe--there is still some time. I check almost every day ;-) But if you see it first, please let us know.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 06 May 2010, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#646 Post by James C »

Concerning the drive icons, mine were misaligned after initally using xorgwizard to get my desired resolution on my frugal install.I didn't bother to realign them, merely rebooted and they were then correct and have stayed correct through numerous reboots and restarts of X.

Moved 3 regular icons to make room for Pwidgets and they've stayed correct as well.

Burning a cd as I post and will test graphics on some other equipment in a few. :)

James C

#647 Post by James C »

Running live on a box with S3 graphics Prosavage.....correct resolution on boot and drive icons were correct.Exited to prompt and ran xorgwizard.....all drive icons still correct.

Sylvander

#648 Post by Sylvander »

Is it possible to [easily?] update Lupu [say 114 to 115], whilst retaining the lupusave file [on a Flash Drive]?

Up to now, I've been doing afresh with each new release:
Re-installing all my preferred packages, and making configuration tweaks.

It takes a lot of [duplicate] work each time.

James C

#649 Post by James C »

Now running live (pfix=ram) on a box with Intel 82865G graphics.Correct resolution of 1440X900 on initial boot and no problem the drive icons. :)

8-bit

#650 Post by 8-bit »

I wanted to let you know that the Nvidia factory package I initially used when I had problems was wrong. I had used the one I had for my Puppy 431 install.
But lo and behold, the Nvidia site showed a different package for my video card.
I tried it in quirky and it worked and stayed on reboot.
So If you want to install a Nvidia factory package, make sure you have the right one!
The one I used for my Nvidia GeForce 6150SE graphics card that worked was : NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.24.pkg1.run.
It did error on a "depmod -aq" command. But I was able to continue on to finish and before restarting xwin, I typed "depmod -a" followed by typing "modprobe nvidia".
Just thought I would pass that along.

Also, for making PDF files, If one is printing from web content, use print to CUPSPDF. If you are creating a local PDF file with abiword, just use "print to file".
But a word of caution goes with it. Watch the size of the inserted picture!
I inserted a picture and did not resize it and when I went to view the created PDF file, I was prompted for a password.
After going back and reducing the dimensions of the picture, and writing to file again, I was no longer asked for a password.