Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#601 Post by playdayz »

I stole this code from /usr/sbin/xorgwizard --01micko

Just in time for Lucid Puppy 115--yes? And, um, the drive icon alignment will also be up to the standard set by Puppy 4.3.1--yes --Pa_mcclamrock

Thank you gentlemen. I believe that is the last piece in the graphics puzzle. Booting to a desktop and then doing whatever configuration is necessary without having to see a prompt. I can't wait to see what we might be able to do in 5.1 ;-) (In 5.0.1 I believe the goal will be to consolidate the innovations here.)

I actually think we might be ahead of the game concerning drive icons, because as I have said, I think, jwm Puppy has never been able to redraw the screen properly with a change in resolution--that is a jwm problem mainly because Icewm can redraw the screen correctly with changed resolution.

pa_mcclamrock

#602 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:I actually think we might be ahead of the game concerning drive icons, because as I have said, I think, jwm Puppy has never been able to redraw the screen properly with a change in resolution--that is a jwm problem mainly because Icewm can redraw the screen correctly with changed resolution.
That's not all there is to the problem. Observe the partial screenshot below, from my IceWM desktop, not JWM. The optical drive icon (sr1) and the flash drive icon (sdb1) would be correctly placed if the hard drive icons (sda1 and sda6) weren't there, but they are. Somehow, the HD icons are being ignored when it comes time to detect that a new optical or flash medium has been inserted.

And , , , please don't forget the problem with restoring a custom arrangement of non-drive desktop icons during an upgrade, either. :D
Attachments
drivicons.png
(31.16 KiB) Downloaded 949 times
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#603 Post by playdayz »

Pa_mcclamrock, Thank you for you advocacy of the user experience issues that you have championed. I was not clear int he message above. I meant that with 01micko's fix we would be ahead of the game in icon arrangement. Have you tested and found that not to be the case? And do you have a plug and play version of Icewm for Lucid Pup? If so, we could possibly use it in Quickpet. At this date it would need to be basically solid. Thanks again for the excon script--as I said I believe that was the last piece of the puzzle, for graphics setup anyway, for this version of Lucid Pup anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------
I am uploading version 115 at the moment and we will have a chance to see.

115 has all of the fixes to date. I intend that we should have a Beta Omega 116 this Friday and then a RC 117 next Monday. Who knows..... It looks good to me..... At this point in a project I start to get paranoid about backing up--so I ma on my way to the bank to put a copy in my safety deposit box. ;-)

pa_mcclamrock

#604 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:Pa_mcclamrock, Thank you for you[r] advocacy of the user experience issues that you have championed.
Being a lawyer, when I see the word "advocacy," I think: "You're welcome, Your Honor. I hope to see favorable rulings on all of them!" :lol:
I was not clear in the message above. I meant that with 01micko's fix we would be ahead of the game in icon arrangement. Have you tested and found that not to be the case?
I was planning to do that as soon as 115 was available--like maybe a few minutes from now. :D
And do you have a plug and play version of Icewm for Lucid Pup?
Here's Jemimah's IceWM 1.3.6 .pet, a bit more convenient to grab from my website than from some probably sunken page in the "Additional Software" sub-forum: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icewm-1.3.6.pet . You do have to exit to a prompt from JWM and enter "xwin icewm"--but that should be no problem with some rudimentary information and the correct keyboard setting.
Thanks again for the excon script--as I said I believe that was the last piece of the puzzle, for graphics setup anyway, for this version of Lucid Pup anyway.
Actually, you should be thanking Barry and Mick, not me--I never could have thought of that trick myself!
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#605 Post by playdayz »

I am out of the loop on the icon placement, so you tell me. On first boot I did get a cd icon on top of the sda1 icon, from the left, fd0, then cd on top of sda1, then a sdb usb disk that I inserted. I rearranged and then reboot was A-OK.

James C

#606 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 115 on the old P3 with onboard Intel graphics. New save file as well.

Used xorgwizard to achieve the desired 1024x768 resolution.Nice that it came up without the need to go to a prompt first. :) Drive icons were misaligned as expected but I left them that way and when I rebooted the first time they were magically correct..... :lol:

On to further testing..............

playdayz

#607 Post by playdayz »

Stop. wait. It appears I misplaced the fixicons program. darn. Please be patient for the correct5 115.

Nevermind. Ha-Ha-Ha, good one Mick. It deleted itself, as you said. I thought I was going crazy. Well, you know, getting worse. Whew.

rjbrewer

#608 Post by rjbrewer »

Most of the Quirkys (except for Wary 20) crash (black screen)
when trying to setup X on my Inspiron 700m, Intel855gme graphics.

Lucid crashes even before it gets to X setup.

Boots ok on Dimension 3000.

Gxine crashes imediately after clicking it. Not able to get a player
like Vlc 8.6 (ttuuxxx) to work.

Voice and video out of synch on hulu. (used Seamonkey)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Tasgarth

test lupu 115

#609 Post by Tasgarth »

Lupu115 :
Cd-Live and Frugal (ext3) :
Graphics : OK
Run Locale to set language (fr_FR) : OK
Time zone setter (Europe/Paris): OK
Run the date : OK
Run keyboard (azerty) : OK
Resolution setter (1600 x 1200x 24) : OK
Trough quickpet :
numlock : OK (after 'start X')
startmount, Gimp, Htop : OK
Opera (with Locale fr_FR) : OK

Foxit : the same error, but after closing its 'error window' it's OK...

xorg.conf is right :
Nvidia GEForce 7600 : 'nv' 1600x1200x24

Asus M2V, 1G Ram, Sata

Thanks "à l''équipe"

pa_mcclamrock

#610 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Comments on Lucid Puppy 115:

First Run Configuration, including exit to xorgwizard with no typing, is now entirely satisfactory. :D

Drive icons still misaligned in both JWM and IceWM on initial pfix=ram boot (see "jwmicons" and "icewmicons" images, attached).

Copied lupusave.3fs to safe location, rebooted regular, upgrading from 113 (I skipped the upgrade on 114). Drive icons now are not misaligned, including icons that appear for newly inserted media (note the correct placement of the sdb1 and sr0 icons in the "goodicons" image, attached).

In the "version updating" information that appears after the 115 main file is copied to the hard drive, it says some official files are being restored, including (among others) /etc/windowmanager, /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, and /usr/local/bin/texteditor. This should not be happening. If the user has customized these files, the modified ones from lupusave, not the official ones from the main file, should be used. It didn't restore my selected GTK+ theme, either.

Finally . . . still no progress on restoring custom arrangement of non-drive desktop icons. Let me "show and tell" what I mean, but first I'll need to revert to 113 for a minute, with the safe copy of lupusave.3fs, to get a screenshot and PuppyPin description of the custom arrangement.
Attachments
goodicons.png
(46.15 KiB) Downloaded 874 times
icewmicons.png
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
jwmicons.png
(13.72 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
--Linus Torvalds

Jim1911

#611 Post by Jim1911 »

Kudos, :D
Just a few bugs.
1. Abiword still prints a black box instead of a photo when printing to CUP-PDF. See attached desktop photo which compares file created with dpup484 and lupu115.
2. Unable to install esword with the wine provided in "Popular pets". Did not try it with anything else.

Code: Select all

# wine setup960.exe
err:module:import_dll Library OLEAUT32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\mnt\\sdb1\\eSwordinstall\\setup960.exe

pa_mcclamrock

#612 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

OK, here's what I mean about the desktop icons, and how I think the problem could be solved, in terms of what appears in /root/Choices/PuppyPin. The code below is what I now have in 115; it came from the 115 main file, except for the drive icons, which must have been dynamically added. All that should be needed, I think, is to take the copy of /root/Choices/PuppyPin from lupusave instead of the one from the main file, keep the non-drive icon settings (i.e., all the ones that don't have ".pup_event" in them) from that copy, use /root/Choices/globicons from lupusave instead of the main file too, and update the drive icons settings in the way that now works right. If your PuppyPin and globicons were exactly like mine (code not included, to save a bit of space), you would then get what you see in the "deskicons113" image (attached), instead of the "deskicons115" image. Yes? Can this be done in 116?

<pinboard>
  <backdrop style="Stretched">/usr/share/backgrounds/utrillo_asnieres2.jpg</backdrop>
  <icon x="224" y="704" label="sr1" args="optical iso9660">/root/.pup_event/drive_sr1</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="704" label="fd0" args="floppy vfat">/root/.pup_event/drive_fd0</icon>
  <icon x="160" y="704" label="sda6" args="drive ext3">/root/.pup_event/drive_sda6</icon>
  <icon x="96" y="704" label="sda1" args="drive ext3">/root/.pup_event/drive_sda1</icon>
  <icon x="96" y="36" label="help">/usr/sbin/puppyhelp</icon>
  <icon x="96" y="320" label="play">/usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer</icon>
  <icon x="96" y="224" label="email">/usr/local/bin/defaultemail</icon>
  <icon x="96" y="128" label="calc">/usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet</icon>
  <icon x="416" y="32" label="console">/usr/bin/urxvt</icon>
  <icon x="352" y="32" label="edit">/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="512" label="quickpet">/usr/sbin/quickpet</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="416" label="connect">/usr/local/apps/Connect</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="320" label="plan">/usr/local/bin/defaultcalendar</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="32" label="file">/usr/local/bin/rox</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="224" label="browse">/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser</icon>
  <icon x="32" y="128" label="write">/usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor</icon>
  <icon x="288" y="32" label="setup">/usr/sbin/wizardwizard</icon>
  <icon x="224" y="32" label="install">/usr/sbin/dotpup</icon>
  <icon x="224" y="128" label="draw">/usr/local/bin/defaultdraw</icon>
  <icon x="992" y="32" label="lock">/usr/local/apps/Xlock</icon>
  <icon x="992" y="224" label="trash">/usr/local/apps/Trash</icon>
  <icon x="992" y="128" label="zip">/usr/local/apps/PupZip</icon>
  <icon x="160" y="36" label="mount">/usr/sbin/pmount</icon>
  <icon x="160" y="224" label="chat">/usr/local/bin/defaultchat</icon>
  <icon x="160" y="128" label="paint">/usr/local/bin/defaultpaint</icon>
</pinboard>
Attachments
deskicons113.png
(132.97 KiB) Downloaded 837 times
deskicons115.png
(111.86 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
--Linus Torvalds

pa_mcclamrock

#613 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

One more little thing: I thought there was a printing problem in 115 because one of my pages wouldn't print from TextMaker 2010, which has printed fine before. On examining the error log, I find that Ghostscript is getting finicky about fonts:

D [05/May/2010:22:40:30 +2300] [Job 20] GPL Ghostscript 8.71: 
D [05/May/2010:22:40:30 +2300] [Job 20] Warning: Jambeau-CP0 cannot be embedded because of licensing restrictions
D [05/May/2010:22:40:30 +2300] [Job 20] GPL Ghostscript 8.71: 
D [05/May/2010:22:40:30 +2300] [Job 20] Warning: WorcesterSF-CP0 cannot be embedded because of licensing restrictions
I substituted other fonts that apparently didn't have licensing restrictions, and sure enough, the page printed.

I could use the "prohibited" fonts all right before, but now I can't even print with any fonts that have any licensing restrictions--even though I'm not doing anything that could violate the licensing restrictions?! I strongly disapprove, but I don't know what I can do about it--except to complain about abuses perpetrated by free-software extremists.
--Linus Torvalds

playdayz

#614 Post by playdayz »

Drive icons still misaligned in both JWM and IceWM on initial pfix=ram boot
How did you boot to Icewm on a pfix=ram boot in Lucid Pup 115?

01micko

#615 Post by 01micko »

I'm guessing Icewm was installed while running pfix=ram

I know the filthy icon fix is not up to scratch, but it was a last gasp attempt before 115.

pa_mcclamrock, Ive been right through the whole bootup sequence of scripts and can't pinpoint where the icon bug is appearing, there are suspects but not enough evidence to convict :wink: . I'll do some more testing and see if I can't come up with the "clean icon correction" :lol:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

8-bit

#616 Post by 8-bit »

lupu-115:

I installed fresh with no pupsave.
I then blew it on sfs-linker and did not use puppy package manager to remove it.
Deleted pupsave and started again.
ran xorgwizard.
installed sfsinstaller.
used it to install kernel source and devx.
tried my steps from before to install factory nvidia package.
Failed with not being able to find kernel version.
exited lupu115 and rebooted to another puppy version.
deleted lupu115 pupsave.
copied over lupu114 pupsave that had Nvidia factory pkg working
Booted Puppy 115.
Now for the interesting part.
My Nvidia factory pkg I had installed stayed and worked.
But.... the sfslinker that I had never installed in lupu-114 showed up on the desktop and also in Puppy Package manager.
That was a strange one to say the least.

James C

#617 Post by James C »

Been running 115 all night, except for a little break to try Quirky, with no problems. :)

I've installed Firefox and Opera with quickpet.....no problems.Installes Htop and Pwidgets.......working fine.The new "choose default browser" is very handy too, by the way.

Nothing bad to report yet....... :)

8-bit

#618 Post by 8-bit »

I had a bad moment with lupu-115 and my installation of the factory driver for my Nvidia card.
I assumed it was working since nvidia-settings was displaying info.
I was wrong.
I checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf with an editor and it showed vesa as the driver for my video card.
That got me curious so I opened a terminal and did "lsmod".
The nvidia driver was shown as being loaded.
So I then typed in "nvidia-xorg" .
That wrote the correct settings to the xorg.conf file.
I restarted X and checked again and my video card driver was shown as "nvidia"
So I am back on track now.

But I do have a quick question concerning the final version when it appears.
Will I be able to use my existing lupu pupsave file with it?
I ask this since the version number will most likely be changed again.
But this time, to 5 in the final version.
At least that is what I assume.
Or will Pwidgets display a version of 100 something?

pa_mcclamrock

#619 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:
Drive icons still misaligned in both JWM and IceWM on initial pfix=ram boot
How did you boot to Icewm on a pfix=ram boot in Lucid Pup 115?
Um, I guess I should have said "during initial pfix=ram session"? I booted pfix=ram, got JWM, took screenshot of drive icons, installed IceWM, exited to prompt, and ran "xwin icewm," all before I rebooted with no pfix=ram.
--Linus Torvalds

aarf

#620 Post by aarf »

md5sum 2be48711a017150628313349e822ba67

luplupu-114.iso___lupu-115.iso.delta
Size: 2.87 MB