Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nooby

#571 Post by nooby »

No fatal error but irritating for noobs that don't have english.

Difficlut to write anything if Lupu don't have the proper keyboard for that person.

So is it possible to let them chose it in a way that really retain it.

I had to write

setxkbmap se to get swedish keyb.

But it could be me messing things up. I am known to be a poor reader of instructions.

But people are used to that puppy keyboard works in puppyu431 so such could be important too?

not whining just saying :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#572 Post by playdayz »

aarf, ever played Clanbomber?

i try to steer away from things with violent connotations these days so, no i haven't. anything with rapid repeated movements is out too, RSI being cumulative in my book.
Clanbomber is that. it is a game though with bright colors and lots of noise. I hope it is not something that would have negative coronations in the U.K.

playdayz

#573 Post by playdayz »

I had to write

Thanks Nooby. I would have thought the Swedish keyboard could have been chosen by running xorgwizard at the prompt. I will test that in 115 late tonight or tomorrow.

aarf

#574 Post by aarf »

alt+drag of a window from anywhere within that window is critical for use on my screen. too many things depend on that ability to not have it. it is a show-stopper if not there.

playdayz

#575 Post by playdayz »

aarf, alt-drag. Have you explained how to get that? Or what's missing? Sorry if you have done it and I can't remember where it is. could you remind me please or direct me? Thanks.

playdayz

#576 Post by playdayz »

Attention knowledgeable Linux users. Is it possible to exit the window manager to a prompt *and* run a command from that prompt, such as

#wmexit xorgwizard

Thanks.

rjbrewer

#577 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:Attention knowledgeable Linux users. Is it possible to exit the window manager to a prompt *and* run a command from that prompt, such as

#wmexit xorgwizard

Thanks.
Don't know about Lucid, but normally:

Menu>shutdown>exit to prompt
or
Control>alt>backspace

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

aarf

#578 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:aarf, alt-drag. Have you explained how to get that? Or what's missing? Sorry if you have done it and I can't remember where it is. could you remind me please or direct me? Thanks.
put mouse cursor over an open window, push the alt key and simultaneously hold down the left mouse, a cross appear where the cursor is then you can drag the window. needed to see boundaries of large windows in small screens.
works in every puppy and quirky but fails in lupu 113 and 114. cant remember if 112 was ok.

nooby

#579 Post by nooby »

playdayz wrote:
I had to write

Thanks Nooby. I would have thought the Swedish keyboard could have been chosen by running xorgwizard at the prompt. I will test that in 115 late tonight or tomorrow.
I trust that it does but I am not only the oldest noob this forum have but I am a dummie too so I often fail to do such things.

I am one of those dreaded "Out of the Box" old guys. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#580 Post by playdayz »

smil99, It is no to ffplay in LP 5.0 I am sorry to say. It started the same run of dependencies that Openshot did yesterday. The story is that this is one of the times when LP is not designed to use the Ubuntu binaries but rather a pet of ffmpeg that Barry prepared--designed to save space and also to work. And it does work, reasonably well from my tests on gxine. Trying to mix the pet and Ubuntu files is problematical, and also replacing the pet files with ubuntu files is not straightforward. This is something that we have to just say no to because of the place in the process we are, we do not want to open any cans of worms. On the other hand, it is something we can start working on for 5.0.1/5.1. Thanks.

playdayz

#581 Post by playdayz »

I am one of those dreaded "Out of the Box" old guys.

And we wouldn't want it any other way!

playdayz

#582 Post by playdayz »

I meant to mention that the Lock program on the desktop should work.

<add> Wait. Didn't that not work in 114? Or a previous version? It works now. That was the easiest ever.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 03 May 2010, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#583 Post by playdayz »

put mouse cursor over an open window, push the alt key and simultaneously hold down the left mouse, a cross appear where the cursor is then you can drag the window. needed to see boundaries of large windows in small screens.
works in every puppy and quirky but fails in lupu 113 and 114. cant remember if 112 was OK
It was nothing I did on purpose. I guess you don't have any idea what makes it work, huh?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#584 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:
works in every puppy and quirky but fails in lupu 113 and 114. cant remember if 112 was OK
It was nothing I did on purpose. I guess you don't have any idea what makes it work, huh?
I reported this already in the 113 bug thread in wich I said I reported it already before.
This way of doing is a standard way of handling windows. I have no idea what has gone wrong.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#585 Post by 01micko »

Béèm (and aarf)

It's a jwm thing, I rolled back to jwm-478 (earlier in this thread) and alt-drag works.

Joe has released jwm-491, we'll see if that fixes it :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

upnorth

jwm

#586 Post by upnorth »

I don't know if this is it, but could be. Alt-click drag works in 491 in wary020. It might be worth a test.
Otherwise check the /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file where there should be:

Code: Select all

<!-- The move mode (outline or opaque) -->
<MoveMode>outline</MoveMode>

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
<ResizeMode>outline</ResizeMode>
491 1d 06h joewing / Go back to always grabbing the mouse on windows.
490 17d 00h joewing / Fix a bug with windows losing focus.
489 20d 19h joewing / Add locale support for the clock popup.
488 23d 01h joewing / Speed up the last fix
487 23d 01h joewing / Ungrab the mouse for the top window to work around a bug in flash.
Last edited by upnorth on Mon 03 May 2010, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#587 Post by playdayz »

I reported this already in the 113 bug thread in wich I said I reported it already before.
This way of doing is a standard way of handling windows. I have no idea what has gone wrong.
01micko already has the answer. A bug in jwm 490. He has gotten 491 ready. Whew. He's superman. And I am so glad I didn't cause it ;-) I don't mind admitting that I am pretty fried of looking through complex code and trying to make changes without causing disaster.

I learned something though in looking it up. It was originally a KDE innovation, which I guess has become fairly standard now.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 03 May 2010, 23:54, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#588 Post by playdayz »

Don't know about Lucid, but normally:

Menu>shutdown>exit to prompt
or
Control>alt>backspace
Thanks rjbrewer, I am looking for a command I could put into a shell script that would exit the window manager and run a command, xorgwizard in my case. The purpose would be to automate the process for people who have to run xorgwizard to get a correct video driver, etc.

upnorth

#589 Post by upnorth »

exec wmexit
xorgwizard
xwin

Wouldn't something like this work?

playdayz

#590 Post by playdayz »

Thanks upnorth, but when I try that, it exits but that's all. I am usually missing something obvious.