Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 4 of 87 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar 2010, 22:54    Post_subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Hmmm, yes, I'll consider that next time I compile the kernel. 2.6.30+ allows the default to be set to "ordered":

aarf wrote:
who told you BK bites?

Um.. I don't know..

Jim1911 wrote:
Great, but I don't think that it will be that simple to change the rc_shutdown script. Consider a PM to tazoc, he initially had a problem with frugal installations on an NTFS or FAT32 partition, this was discovered with his initial release of 443G which he had to pull and update. Have you tried it on an NTFS partition?

I'm grabbing the LHP F>>Gu1 delta now to upgrade my 443F iso and will take a first hand look at tazoc's mods to the scripts and will PM him with any questions I have .. Thanks Jim

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 04:54    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
Béèm wrote:
I applied the procedure, but I am not sure about the last part to check with mount. The save file being on a ext2 partition sdb7 this one is mounted as ext2
How can I verify the save file then?
I have no idea about your mount results, have never converted a pupsave.2fs to 3fs and checked mount on an ext2 partition. Why convert a pupsave.2fs to 3fs when you are using it on an ext2 partition?
Jim, I see now it was 01micko who said he would do the test.
Sorry about the confusion.
Bernard

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 06:19    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Additional software installed and working fine.

That's good news Smile
Does it install from the puppy package manager?

playdayz

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 19:27    Post_subject:  

Hi Lobster,

I think the answer would be "sometimes." However, I do that very infrequently myself. Most of the binaries are from Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, and when I want to try something different, I get it from the ubuntu.packages.com (the Lucid Lynx repositories). I also install things direct from the creators, such as Opera, Firefox, Iron, Flashplayer and so forth. I know the htop pet works because I use that, but remember that Puppy 4.0 is built with T2 rather than these Ubuntu binaries. One thing we do is to keep a list in the first message of the thread with links to programs that have been tested to work (in the thread for Karmic, not in this thread yet). That list could become the basis of a Lucid Puppy repo if more people were interested.

With uPup we have been tracking Woof, so when Barry puts that capability in Woof it will show up here. I see why you ask--it would be nice if it did--and the work could be done to make it so--but I have enough keeping up with woof and Ubuntu Lucid now. I regard Lucid Puppy as experimental those who want easy install from PPM should probably stay with the Official Puppy.
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 23:12    Post_subject:  

Hi playdayz

One thing.. no devx yet Wink

Cheers

edit... Lucid Puppy 5.0 eh? Cool http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01457

We better get compiling .. Smile

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 08:02    Post_subject:  

Quote:
PPM should probably stay with the Official Puppy

You just went official Cool

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy5

I have not used Upup for a while
- now is my chance Smile

playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 08:35    Post_subject:  

Quote:
You just went official

Yes, Lobster, that will change many things.

Here is the first change. There will be one thread for "Bug Reports, Well Documented." Then there will be a second forum named "Bug Reports + Fixes, Well Documented." If someone finds a bug they can report it in the first forum, and then if they find the fix themselves they can report that in the second forum. Also, the many other people who we will need to help find fixes can look in the first forum for possible projects, and then they can find the fix and post in the second forum. I will work from the second forum as much as possible. There will be a third forum for general suggestions and discussion. I will be starting these forums later today.

01micko, devx as soon as the dust settles.
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 12:39    Post_subject:  

@all,
Thank you for your efforts with Lucid Puppy. This looks very promising.
Jim1911 wrote:
Consider a PM to tazoc, he initially had a problem with frugal installations on an NTFS or FAT32 partition, this was discovered with his initial release of 443G which he had to pull and update. Have you tried it on an NTFS partition?
True, when I first updated the initscript I confused the fstype of the host part with the fstype of the pupsave in 4.43G, and fixed it in 4.43Gu1. I also experimented with ext4 pupsaves (the code for that is commented out in rc.shutdown because they were unstable--possibly because of the 2.6.30.5 kernel and/or e2fsprogs in LHP 4.43.) Based on Barry's earlier work on a pup_save.3fs I opted to only offer ext3 pupsaves on journaled Linux host partitions.
aarf wrote:
FYI Attention! Using Puppy4.3x with ext3 is dangerous by default
The LHP shutdown script applies 'tune2fs -o journal_data_ordered <name of pupsave.3fs>' as soon as the ext3 pupsave is created. I manually do the same with my ext3/4 host partitions. I'm happy with ext3 pupsaves in LHP.
-TazOC

stu90

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 14:11    Post_subject:  

In the puppy package manager -ubuntu-lucid-main and -ubuntu-lucid-mainpre am i supposed to be seeing all ubuntu packages as if i was running a full blow ubuntu?

I have nothing in any category in ubuntu-lucid-mainpre
and ubuntu-lucid-main there are just things in the desktop category.

looking in configure i see a futher 4 ubuntu lucid repositories
multiverse/pre
universe/pre
do i need to add these?
nooby

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 16:54    Post_subject:  

Lucid Puppy 002, like Lucid Puppy 001, like Dpup, like Upup like a pup me forgotten which name it had are different from all the other 20 out of 25 puppies me tested on my one year old Compaq desktop. See signature

These modern puppies are not working good on streaming video or clips that is demanding.

All the other 20 just work flawlessly.

I did not have any good example. Australia and Canada and Sweden and Hulu and so on all ahve copyrights that makes it impoosible to see them without pretending to be in that country.

Took me an hour of intensive search. finally I realized that CNN wants to be seen by anybody.

So I found this link.

http://www.cnn.com/video/

Now that one get too old fast. They will change the content.

But I looked at two clips there.

New Red Bulls soccer Stadium and it was not so obvious on that one but if one know what to look for one see the difference if one compare with a standard 431.

Now the clip that really made a difference obvious was this one.

Hanging carnival Riders Rescued.

Choppy is the best word for it so far. I named it delayed or wave like making one feel sea sick almost.

When I look in pupy431std it looks like the camera man wanted it to look.

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 17:54    Post_subject:  

Use peppyy's puppysearch
carolus

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 18:26    Post_subject: Can Lucid Puppy access Ubuntu repositories?  

Will Lucid Puppy include APT and have no-hassle apt-get access to Ubuntu repositories? If I understand correctly, dpup aims for that kind of access to debian repositories.
James C

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 21:28    Post_subject:  

Did a fresh frugal install of 002 earlier today.Installed Firefox 3.6 from the Ubuntu repository w/ the package manager as well as Google Chrome by downloading the Ubuntu deb from the Google site.Other than needing to do a little work on the menu entries both browsers appear to be working well.

No problem with streaming video here either. Smile
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 03:55    Post_subject:  

Lupu002 looks much like quirky010 with the same x24 black backgrounds but 30mb+ bigger. Went looking 4 the extras but cant allocate it.
Sound but with no images for downloaded mp4 in gxine.
Opera10.51 portable browses in x24 colour only.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>

Edited_times_total
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 03:56    Post_subject:  

Lupu002 pwidgets2.2.5 goes in without the script modifications needed in quirky010.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 87 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum