Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pa_mcclamrock

#331 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:I believe that Lucid Puppy 111, just posted, might have what you are looking for ;-)
Sorry, but I'm running it right now, and it doesn't. :(

1. Printing still doesn't work, at least if I don't install Ghostscript from the Puppy 5 repository. On 4.3.1, it worked right from the start.

2. I did get a choice of screen resolutions, unlike in 009. I selected 1024 x 768, tested it, and it supposedly worked OK. Then I got a confusing dialog box telling me I probably shouldn't make it permanent, but use it only for this session, and use Xorgwizard (if I recall correctly) to select a permanent resolution. Xorgwizard still doesn't do anything. Now I've got 1024 x 768 resolution, all right--but I don't have a taskbar or drive icons at the bottom of the screen! Also, I'm running Opera 10.10, and the scrollbar is halfway off the screen.

Frankly, if you have to choose between the old-fashioned method of setting the video resolution before starting X, which works right, and this newfangled way of setting the resolution while X is running, which so far doesn't work right . . . well, you can easily guess what my recommendation would be. Likewise, the printing really needs to work right from the first. I started trying to use Puppy with version 1.0.7 in about 2005 (I think), but I couldn't use it every day until about 2008 (with version 4.1.1), all because the printing didn't work for me before then. I'm really looking forward to a Lucid Puppy without these faults, but unfortunately I'm going to have to reboot 4.3.1 again right after I get done with this message.

Persevere--and thanks in advance for finally succeeding!

P.S. Hey, this is progress, kind of. I took the lupu-111 CD out of the drive, put the 4.3.1 CD in to prepare to reboot, and the CD drive icon showed up! The hard-drive icons still didn't, though--and you know what, Pmount wouldn't mount the hard-drive partition I tried to get it to mount, either. :cry:
Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

raffy

bug report

#332 Post by raffy »

Bug report from the news site:
Re: LuPu 006 - I have 8 storage devices. On boot, the icons are misaligned. Manually aligned icons but they are again misaligned on reboot..

Added a flash device: no icon appears but shows up in the pmount dialog.

mhWaveEdit has the same problems as in 005; does not record from line.

Pmusic problem of playing item not displayed and no indication of time elapsed now resolved.

When source is open and the + button to add a file to playlist is clicked, another instance of the source is generated. Bug or by design?

Pmusic: pressing the icon to go back 30 secs in fact goes back to the beginning of the track.

What happened to the Browser menu?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

James C

#333 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of Lucid 111 on the trusty P3 test box. I do have my preferred 1024x768 resolution but getting there was an adventure.

Booted the fresh install and automatically got......800x600. The gui came up, tried xrandr and was presented with 2 choices (800x600 and 600x480).Exited to a prompt and ran xorg-setup........I finally got 1024x768.

But, the 7 drive icons were piled up on the "quick pet" icon and moving the drive icons I now had no "quick pet" icon.Installed Firefox and Pwidgets with no problems, but.......

To make room for the Pwidgets I moved the trash, lock and zip icons. Upon the first reboot, all the drive icons moved back to the wrong location while the others returned to their original location under the Pwidgets.

Plugged in a flash drive and the icon landed on top of sda1. Mounted it and moved the files I chose but then pmount would not unmount i, tried repeatedly.

Will do some further testing. :) .

8-bit

#334 Post by 8-bit »

For the drive icons, try MENU/Desktop Settings/Desktop drive icons manager.
On the first tab at the bottom, there is an option to erase, realign, and redraw the desktop drive icons.
Maybe having that selected will help.

James C

#335 Post by James C »

8-bit wrote:For the drive icons, try MENU/Desktop Settings/Desktop drive icons manager.
On the first tab at the bottom, there is an option to erase, realign, and redraw the desktop drive icons.
Maybe having that selected will help.
Thanks, that took care of one problem. :)

darwinev0lved

#336 Post by darwinev0lved »

Lupup 111 is actually worse:
008 offered Barry's solution of picking the right Intel driver
009 removed this option - but at least I could boot with vesa, remove the offending Intel driver and restart Xorg.
This version simply doesn't boot.

Regards,
Jon.

Sylvander

#337 Post by Sylvander »

Lucid Puppy 111

1. Installed my usual long list of packages.
e.g. Firefox, Fox, Xfe, cursor-themes, HTOP, nmap, dotpuphandler, puppybasic, FoxitReader, Pwidgets.
More to be installed.
All working well except...

(a) When I tried to change the desktop wallpaper...
Got an error warning about being unable to find file:
/root/.pwidgets/Pwidgets_background
I checked, and it doesn't exist anywhere.

(b) The background wallpaper no longer displayed, but managed to fix that by making config changes to prevent [re:pupsave on Flash Drive] auto-save [changed it to 0], and to be able to choose to not save at shut-down.
Re-booted, and once back in, all was back as it had been, but still unable to change the background.

tronkel

#338 Post by tronkel »

Coming along nicely so far.
Few small glitches:

Printing:
Ghostscript needs to be installed from Package Manager.
Prints from word processor but no test page.
Does not print to PDF from CUPS

Desktop:
Quickpet icon only shows as mime type - i.e. no normal Puppy icon.

X Windows:

Keyboard not recognised even if set with the initial Lupu setup program.
Keyboard gets recognised only by running xorg-setup and then restarting X.

The xorg-setup ncurses screen is skewed off towards the bottom of my 1400x900 LCD monitor - therefore important dialog choice options cannot be seen. Borders show as characters instead of discreet lines.

Would it be possible to have the correct resolution set early enough at startup so that the ncurses screen gets properly displayed? LOL - difficult I think.

Good things:

Screen quality has improved over that of Lupu 009 once the desktop appears. I tried downloading Opera 10.10 instead of Seamonkey this time. Compared with the default MACPUP2 Opera, web-page fonts look far better in Lupu 111 - but this may be due to the fact that I had to use MU's flgrx ati driver for MACPUP which may not be configured correctly. This is a case where the ATI Radeon open-source driver module provided by the 2.6.33.2 Kernel (or from Barry?) wins over the proprietary version in some respects. The desktop background is now displayed with the correct aspect ratio in Lupu 111

Thank for all the good work. Lupu is fast becoming my favourite Puppy - faults and all.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

01micko

#339 Post by 01micko »

tronkel

Did Quickpet actually download for you this time? You are one of the few that report failure, stu90 is another and aarf, but only with Pwidgets on Erics server.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tronkel

#340 Post by tronkel »

@01micko

Quickpet update was OK this time for some reason, so that's good.

The quickpet SFS button doesn't seem to do anything. What is this button actually for?

01micko

#341 Post by 01micko »

tronkel wrote:
The quickpet SFS button doesn't seem to do anything. What is this button actually for?
It opens a browser at a wiki page on puppylinux.org and on that page is a short introductory tutorial about sfs.. it didn't do that?

tronkel

#342 Post by tronkel »

@01micko

oops silly me! :roll:

Didn't notice that the sfs help page had in fact appeared in the browser which was minimised.

stu90

#343 Post by stu90 »

01micko wrote:
aarf wrote:
i can get into puppylinux.ca with passwords. but quickpackage is still not doing it.
I just tried it, Pwidgets installed correctly in about 10 seconds. I have the username/password set in quickpackage by default, so that isn't the problem. Can you see if this command works?

Code: Select all

wget -t 0 -c --user=puppy --password=linux -P /root http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/zigbert/pwidgets-2.2.7.pet
If it does I'll be even more confused :?

Thanks
Hi 01micko prepair to be confused :D
running 111 frugal typing command in terminal downloads pwidgets no problem but in quickpet is still no go with the server time out message.

Dont know if this is any help but get this in xerrs:

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256:  6980 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
grep: /tmp/docheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -timeout 4 -bg lightblue -text "Please wait for your $THEPET download. 
	You will then be asked to confirm installation"
expr: syntax error
grep: /tmp/dovercheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -bg limegreen -text "Please wait ..."
/usr/local/petget/filterpkgs.sh: line 92: 16291 Terminated              yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Please wait, processing all entries may take awhile..."
/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256: 10524 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256: 16433 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
grep: /tmp/docheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -timeout 4 -bg lightblue -text "Please wait for your $THEPET download. 
	You will then be asked to confirm installation"
thanks.

stu90

#344 Post by stu90 »

Hello playdayz, running xorg-setup in 111 fixes touchpad scroll mouse problems.

thanks.

gerry

#345 Post by gerry »

Running live usb on Acer Aspire One (desktop machine needs retro kernel).
Got the resolution right, but the sda1 icon was on top of quickpet icon, and sdb1 icon on top of sda5. Effect of 800 pixels vertical screen size?

Symlink needed: ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

so that "windows printer via samba" is available in the cups printer setup choices.

This is needed to set up a printer that is connected to a windows machine.

gerry

01micko

#346 Post by 01micko »

That does help stu90, it looks like the variable is not finding it's value, for some weird reason ... and for some users only...

Ok, will see if I can fix it

Thank you :)

scruffy

Lucid 111

#347 Post by scruffy »

Hi playdayz , I've just tried a Lucid Puppy 111 Frugal Install and I'm impressed!

The installation process worked fine and Locale/Timezone options were easy to set.
Running glxgears worked and everything looks fine except the display was skewed slightly to the right (by about 5mm).

Opera also looks good (and very fast) and flash is now working with it.Also you2pup is
now working.

So far I haven't found anything anything that doesn't work as it should but I just found a few cosmetic issues.

1. Abiword
The menu icon is missing. When I try help from Abiword it doesn't work.
Running from a terminal gives this:
# abiword

** (abiword:22779): WARNING **: Operation not supported

2. Quickpet .
The desktop Quickpet icon is missing. In Lucid 009 the icon could be found here -
user/local/lib/x11/pixmaps/qp-icon.png,but it seems to have disappeared.
Also a small typo in Quickpet -> updates option (refferred should be referred ). To me Quickpet is a big success and I guess a lot of people will be using it.

3.Foxit
When I start Foxit from the menu I get the following message.
Cannot open the file!
The file cannot be found or opened, the file name may be incorrect.
Please verify and try again.
Foxit still works fine though.

4.Drive icons were misaligned on bootup but I followed the advice given earlier
and this cured the problem - thanks James C.

In summary I think all the developers' hard work has paid off. Thanks for the testing
advice given earlier. For example I would never have known to run a program from the
terminal.I need all the help I can get. :)

AMD Athlon 512MB 1100MHz
Soundcard C-media CMI8738
Graphics Nvidia geforce 4 MX440
Netgear wired DSL

gerry

#348 Post by gerry »

Major problem!! No matter what I do, setting uk keyboard still gets me US keyboard.

gerry

gerry

#349 Post by gerry »

More on keyboard.

setup > change mouse and keyboard > choose k/b layout for country > uk >ok

message says " information is saved in etc/keymap". It is (ie file contains UK), but restarting X or rebooting still leaves me with a US k/b.

How do I get a UK keyboard?

gerry

tronkel

#350 Post by tronkel »

@gerry

Try doing this:

Press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
Then run xorg-setup from the command line. and choose your normal resolution. This will then create a real /etc/X11/xorg.conf automatically.

Then select your UK keyboard from one of the keyboard configuration routines available from the normal Puppy setup system whose icon is located on the desktop. Experiment and see which one works for you.

Then restart X by typing xwin at the command prompt. If that doesn't do the trick, then try it the other way round. Select the UK keyboard layout from the routine first and then run xorg-setup.

This is only a work-around until a resolution is found for this xorg problem.

Hope this helps.