Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 18:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 23 of 87 [1297 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
pa_mcclamrock

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 20:16    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
I believe that Lucid Puppy 111, just posted, might have what you are looking for Wink

Sorry, but I'm running it right now, and it doesn't. Sad

1. Printing still doesn't work, at least if I don't install Ghostscript from the Puppy 5 repository. On 4.3.1, it worked right from the start.

2. I did get a choice of screen resolutions, unlike in 009. I selected 1024 x 768, tested it, and it supposedly worked OK. Then I got a confusing dialog box telling me I probably shouldn't make it permanent, but use it only for this session, and use Xorgwizard (if I recall correctly) to select a permanent resolution. Xorgwizard still doesn't do anything. Now I've got 1024 x 768 resolution, all right--but I don't have a taskbar or drive icons at the bottom of the screen! Also, I'm running Opera 10.10, and the scrollbar is halfway off the screen.

Frankly, if you have to choose between the old-fashioned method of setting the video resolution before starting X, which works right, and this newfangled way of setting the resolution while X is running, which so far doesn't work right . . . well, you can easily guess what my recommendation would be. Likewise, the printing really needs to work right from the first. I started trying to use Puppy with version 1.0.7 in about 2005 (I think), but I couldn't use it every day until about 2008 (with version 4.1.1), all because the printing didn't work for me before then. I'm really looking forward to a Lucid Puppy without these faults, but unfortunately I'm going to have to reboot 4.3.1 again right after I get done with this message.

Persevere--and thanks in advance for finally succeeding!

P.S. Hey, this is progress, kind of. I took the lupu-111 CD out of the drive, put the 4.3.1 CD in to prepare to reboot, and the CD drive icon showed up! The hard-drive icons still didn't, though--and you know what, Pmount wouldn't mount the hard-drive partition I tried to get it to mount, either. Crying or Very sad

Visit Pa Penguin's Icebox: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html

Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 21:27; edited 1 time in total
raffy

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 20:46    Post subject: bug report  

Bug report from the news site:
Quote:
Re: LuPu 006 - I have 8 storage devices. On boot, the icons are misaligned. Manually aligned icons but they are again misaligned on reboot..

Added a flash device: no icon appears but shows up in the pmount dialog.

mhWaveEdit has the same problems as in 005; does not record from line.

Pmusic problem of playing item not displayed and no indication of time elapsed now resolved.

When source is open and the + button to add a file to playlist is clicked, another instance of the source is generated. Bug or by design?

Pmusic: pressing the icon to go back 30 secs in fact goes back to the beginning of the track.

What happened to the Browser menu?

James C

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 21:26    Post subject:  

Fresh manual frugal install of Lucid 111 on the trusty P3 test box. I do have my preferred 1024x768 resolution but getting there was an adventure.

Booted the fresh install and automatically got......800x600. The gui came up, tried xrandr and was presented with 2 choices (800x600 and 600x480).Exited to a prompt and ran xorg-setup........I finally got 1024x768.

But, the 7 drive icons were piled up on the "quick pet" icon and moving the drive icons I now had no "quick pet" icon.Installed Firefox and Pwidgets with no problems, but.......

To make room for the Pwidgets I moved the trash, lock and zip icons. Upon the first reboot, all the drive icons moved back to the wrong location while the others returned to their original location under the Pwidgets.

Plugged in a flash drive and the icon landed on top of sda1. Mounted it and moved the files I chose but then pmount would not unmount i, tried repeatedly.

Will do some further testing. Smile .
8-bit

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 21:45    Post subject:  

For the drive icons, try MENU/Desktop Settings/Desktop drive icons manager.
On the first tab at the bottom, there is an option to erase, realign, and redraw the desktop drive icons.
Maybe having that selected will help.
James C

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 21:59    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:
For the drive icons, try MENU/Desktop Settings/Desktop drive icons manager.
On the first tab at the bottom, there is an option to erase, realign, and redraw the desktop drive icons.
Maybe having that selected will help.

Thanks, that took care of one problem. Smile
2010-04-24_20-53-23-thumb.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   30.72 KB
 Viewed   1084 Time(s)

2010-04-24_20-53-23-thumb.jpg

darwinev0lved

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 04:42    Post subject:  

Lupup 111 is actually worse:
008 offered Barry's solution of picking the right Intel driver
009 removed this option - but at least I could boot with vesa, remove the offending Intel driver and restart Xorg.
This version simply doesn't boot.

Regards,
Jon.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 05:17    Post subject:  

Lucid Puppy 111

1. Installed my usual long list of packages.
e.g. Firefox, Fox, Xfe, cursor-themes, HTOP, nmap, dotpuphandler, puppybasic, FoxitReader, Pwidgets.
More to be installed.
All working well except...

(a) When I tried to change the desktop wallpaper...
Got an error warning about being unable to find file:
/root/.pwidgets/Pwidgets_background
I checked, and it doesn't exist anywhere.

(b) The background wallpaper no longer displayed, but managed to fix that by making config changes to prevent [re:pupsave on Flash Drive] auto-save [changed it to 0], and to be able to choose to not save at shut-down.
Re-booted, and once back in, all was back as it had been, but still unable to change the background.
tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 05:43    Post subject:  

Coming along nicely so far.
Few small glitches:

Printing:
Ghostscript needs to be installed from Package Manager.
Prints from word processor but no test page.
Does not print to PDF from CUPS

Desktop:
Quickpet icon only shows as mime type - i.e. no normal Puppy icon.

X Windows:

Keyboard not recognised even if set with the initial Lupu setup program.
Keyboard gets recognised only by running xorg-setup and then restarting X.

The xorg-setup ncurses screen is skewed off towards the bottom of my 1400x900 LCD monitor - therefore important dialog choice options cannot be seen. Borders show as characters instead of discreet lines.

Would it be possible to have the correct resolution set early enough at startup so that the ncurses screen gets properly displayed? LOL - difficult I think.

Good things:

Screen quality has improved over that of Lupu 009 once the desktop appears. I tried downloading Opera 10.10 instead of Seamonkey this time. Compared with the default MACPUP2 Opera, web-page fonts look far better in Lupu 111 - but this may be due to the fact that I had to use MU's flgrx ati driver for MACPUP which may not be configured correctly. This is a case where the ATI Radeon open-source driver module provided by the 2.6.33.2 Kernel (or from Barry?) wins over the proprietary version in some respects. The desktop background is now displayed with the correct aspect ratio in Lupu 111

Thank for all the good work. Lupu is fast becoming my favourite Puppy - faults and all.

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 05:48    Post subject:  

tronkel

Did Quickpet actually download for you this time? You are one of the few that report failure, stu90 is another and aarf, but only with Pwidgets on Erics server.

Cheers

tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 06:11    Post subject:  

@01micko

Quickpet update was OK this time for some reason, so that's good.

The quickpet SFS button doesn't seem to do anything. What is this button actually for?

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 06:25    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:

The quickpet SFS button doesn't seem to do anything. What is this button actually for?

It opens a browser at a wiki page on puppylinux.org and on that page is a short introductory tutorial about sfs.. it didn't do that?

tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 06:49    Post subject:  

@01micko

oops silly me! Rolling Eyes

Didn't notice that the sfs help page had in fact appeared in the browser which was minimised.

stu90

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 07:34    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
aarf wrote:

i can get into puppylinux.ca with passwords. but quickpackage is still not doing it.

I just tried it, Pwidgets installed correctly in about 10 seconds. I have the username/password set in quickpackage by default, so that isn't the problem. Can you see if this command works?

Code:
wget -t 0 -c --user=puppy --password=linux -P /root http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/zigbert/pwidgets-2.2.7.pet

If it does I'll be even more confused Confused

Thanks

Hi 01micko prepair to be confused Very Happy
running 111 frugal typing command in terminal downloads pwidgets no problem but in quickpet is still no go with the server time out message.

Dont know if this is any help but get this in xerrs:
Code:
/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256:  6980 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
grep: /tmp/docheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -timeout 4 -bg lightblue -text "Please wait for your $THEPET download.
   You will then be asked to confirm installation"
expr: syntax error
grep: /tmp/dovercheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -bg limegreen -text "Please wait ..."
/usr/local/petget/filterpkgs.sh: line 92: 16291 Terminated              yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Please wait, processing all entries may take awhile..."
/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256: 10524 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
/usr/sbin/quickpet: line 256: 16433 Terminated              gtkdialog3 -p quickpack
grep: /tmp/docheck: No such file or directory
[1]+  Done                    yaf-splash -font "-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--16-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1" -placement top -outline 0 -timeout 4 -bg lightblue -text "Please wait for your $THEPET download.
   You will then be asked to confirm installation"

thanks.
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 07:40    Post subject:  

Hello playdayz, running xorg-setup in 111 fixes touchpad scroll mouse problems.

thanks.
gerry

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 07:41    Post subject:  

Running live usb on Acer Aspire One (desktop machine needs retro kernel).
Got the resolution right, but the sda1 icon was on top of quickpet icon, and sdb1 icon on top of sda5. Effect of 800 pixels vertical screen size?

Symlink needed: ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

so that "windows printer via samba" is available in the cups printer setup choices.

This is needed to set up a printer that is connected to a windows machine.

gerry
Page 23 of 87 [1297 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: