Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:I'm going to try an experiment. I will edit the initrd.gz with your tweak Jim and do a frugal to an ext3 partition.. then boot without a pupsave and see if it saves it as 3fs... then see if reboots ok. If the file is created as 3fs then it should probably work ok. I will take a thorough look at the init script just to see if there is anything that might trip up this experiment.
You may want to take a look at Tazoc's and Kirk's changes to their init files. You should have Tazoc's, if you haven't got Kirk's I should be able to post it here.
Jim

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Jim

I may take a look at tazoc's init... and shutdown script.. of course that is where the pupsave is created.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#33 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:I may take a look at tazoc's init... and shutdown script.. of course that is where the pupsave is created.
Great, his scripts are fine starting points and pertinent sections may be able to be used as is.
Cheers,
Jim

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

Hi all

My experiment is a success :) .. and I haven't looked at tazoc'z scripts yet.

I applied your changes to init Jim, no problem.

I then unsquashed lupu-002.sfs and edited the /etc/rc.d/rc.shudown script. That was simple because puppy in the older 2 series supported saving to ext3, ie pupsave.3fs. I just uncommented the lines and the "if" statement. No choice, just detects what ext fs you have and installs 2 for 2 and 3 for 3. No ext4 support. This is where tazoc's shutdown script will come in. Then resquashed.

As far as init goes, the line(s) where it gets mounted "-t ext2" will have to made a variable.. (I'll see what tazoc did once again) something like "-t $EXTFS" where EXTFS is defined by detecting the pupsave filesystem, not a too difficult task.

It booted fine, saved as ext3 fine and rebooted fine, posting from lupu-002 with ext3 pupsave now.

Cheers

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

Yes aarf, I read that awhile ago, Jim posted there...

The fact is that it is good to have choice. Some users find errors creeping into there pupsaves using ext2, others don't. Maybe it's because of the hardware I don't know, but as Jim said there are certain advantages of using ext3 or ext4, as I'm sure there's other advantages to sticking with ext2.

That post talks about 2.6.30.5 and BK did say he would consider the option change. Does anyone know if BK did change it for 2.6.31.5 plus?

Choices.. :D

James C

#37 Post by James C »

Running 002 live with a usb save file on my trusty P3 test machine. Installed Firefox 3.6 from the Ubuntu repository and its working fine .........overall no real difficulties to speak of. :)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Wireless configuration not persistent between boots.

#38 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:For the good order, I booted with pfix=ram.
Configures the wireless connection, which worked file. (SNS)
Created another, new, save file.
Rebooted.

The network configuration wasn't persistent between the boot.
Don't think this is a surprise, as quirky has the same quirk.
Well to my surprise after boot this morning my connection was up and running automatically.
Nice and hope this continues.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Pidgin and sound

#39 Post by Béèm »

As ayttm crashes, I use Pidgin as IM. In fact I use Pidgin already a long time in all my puppies.

In Lucid there is a problem with sound when entering messages etc..
In puppies using mplayer I can configure Pidgin by configuring mlayer %s
If I configure pidgin with gxine %s, the sound plays but delayed and I have the GUI as well, which disappears after an other delay.
This doesn't arrive with mplayer.

I had in mind in earlier puppies there was also the sound engine xine, but I don't see it in Lucid.

I checked the gxine options, but I don't see anything to play a sound without the GUI.

PPM doesn't show a xine package neither.

Would there be a way to solve this.
Time savers:

aarf

#40 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:Yes aarf, I read that awhile ago, Jim posted there...

The fact is that it is good to have choice. Some users find errors creeping into there pupsaves using ext2, others don't. Maybe it's because of the hardware I don't know, but as Jim said there are certain advantages of using ext3 or ext4, as I'm sure there's other advantages to sticking with ext2.

That post talks about 2.6.30.5 and BK did say he would consider the option change. Does anyone know if BK did change it for 2.6.31.5 plus?

Choices.. :D
who told you BK bites?

Béèm

#41 Post by Béèm »

01micko wrote:
Didn't realize it immediately, but the icon backgrounds aren't transparant, but black.
I remember something about 16-bit in xorg solved this, so I did run xorgwizard.
Yes .. narrowed down to a JWM issue.. Barry has mailed Joe Wing about this one, although, by all reports, latest xorg (7.5?) is still buggy, especially with Intel chipsets.. (kattman :wink: )

Cheers
Well, I wonder if xorg isn't in it for something also.
Reason I say, I have a wine program. In 24-bit icons used are correct.
As I switched to 16-bit for the Lucid (and quirky) issue I just realized, that in this wine program the icons aren't correct any more.
And don't laugh, some icons have a black background instead of a transparent one.

Strange no?
Time savers:

Jim1911

#42 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:I then unsquashed lupu-002.sfs and edited the /etc/rc.d/rc.shudown script. That was simple because puppy in the older 2 series supported saving to ext3, ie pupsave.3fs. I just uncommented the lines and the "if" statement. No choice, just detects what ext fs you have and installs 2 for 2 and 3 for 3. No ext4 support. This is where tazoc's shutdown script will come in. Then resquashed.
Great, but I don't think that it will be that simple to change the rc_shutdown script. Consider a PM to tazoc, he initially had a problem with frugal installations on an NTFS or FAT32 partition, this was discovered with his initial release of 443G which he had to pull and update. Have you tried it on an NTFS partition?

I'm glad that you've taken an interest in this because when you do, you are determined to see it to a successful conclusion. My code knowledge is so minuscule that all I can do is help test your solutions.

Thanks,
Jim :)

Béèm

#43 Post by Béèm »

Jim1911 wrote:
playdayz wrote:jim1911, Would it be possible to write brief instructions about how to do this. I would personally want to try it. It might be something Barry would consider for inclusion in Puppy 5.
A better source of information is to PM kirk and tazoc. As I stated Kirk's Fatdog 64 creates a pupsave.3fs file by default and Tazoc's Lighthouse 443Gu1 gives a choice. I don't know how their scripts are set up to accomplish that for the save files. Also they have to modify the init file in intrd.gz in order for the save file to mount properly.

This is how I accomplish the change manually thanks to Mikeb's help.

1. Converting ext2 files,
To alter an existing (backed up) pupsave use

Code: Select all

tune2fs -j /path/to/pup_save.2fs
Then rename to .3fs.

2. When booted, running the command mount should show it mounted as 3fs. To accomplish this, the init file in initrd.gz needs to be edited so that the 3fs save file properly boots.

3. This procedure shows how to unpack and repack initrd.gz ( the Pizzasgood way, I think ) Place the initrd.gz file that is to be edited in a temp directory.

a. Unpack
cd to temp directory containing initrd.gz then execute

mkdir initrd-tree 
cd initrd-tree/ 
zcat ../initrd.gz | cpio -i -d 
b. Modifying init ---Locate the init file that was unpacked and is now in the initrd-tree directory.
Search for ' -t ext2' - this will pick up the commands
where pup_save gets mounted as -t ext2 and you change it to -t ext3

c. Repack
cd again to initrd-tree then execute

rm ../initrd.gz 
find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz 
I've followed this procedure with 431, 432, dpup, upup, Lighthouse (earlier releases), Stardust, Lucid 002, and others and found that in init, three lines like that need to be changed. All of the above I've run using a pupsave.3fs on ext3 and ext4 partitions with no problems.

Use mount command to confirm that the 3fs is mounted properly.

Thanks again for considering 3fs save files.
Jim
I applied the procedure, but I am not sure about the last part to check with mount.
The save file being on a ext2 partition sdb7 this one is mounted as ext2
How can I verify the save file then?

bash-3.00# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb7 on /initrd/mnt/dev_save type ext2 (rw,noatime,errors=continue)
/dev/loop1 on /initrd/pup_rw type ext2 (rw,noatime,errors=continue)
/dev/loop0 on /initrd/pup_ro2 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop4 on /initrd/pup_ro4 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop5 on /initrd/pup_ro5 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
unionfs on / type aufs (rw,relatime,si=830ba57d)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=63516k)
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=2,mode=620)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
shmfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=58432k)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
bash-3.00#

PUPMODE=12
PDEV1=''
DEV1FS=''
PUPSFS='sdb7,ext2,/lupu-002.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sdb7,ext2,/lupusave-R40_upup_Lucid_002-org.3fs'
PMEDIA=''
#v3.97: kernel with libata pata has both sata and pata drives in ATADRIVES...
ATADRIVES='sda '
#these directories are unionfs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_rw'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the lupusave file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV=''
#complete set of modules in the initrd (moved to main f.s.)...
ZDRVINIT='no'
PSWAPFILE=''
PSAVEMARK=''
FASTPARTS='sda1|ntfs sda2|vfat '
Time savers:

Jim1911

#44 Post by Jim1911 »

Béèm wrote:I applied the procedure, but I am not sure about the last part to check with mount. The save file being on a ext2 partition sdb7 this one is mounted as ext2
I have no idea about your mount results, have never converted a pupsave.2fs to 3fs and checked mount on an ext2 partition. Why convert a pupsave.2fs to 3fs when you are using it on an ext2 partition?

Béèm

#45 Post by Béèm »

Jim1911 wrote:
Béèm wrote:I applied the procedure, but I am not sure about the last part to check with mount. The save file being on a ext2 partition sdb7 this one is mounted as ext2
I have no idea about your mount results, have never converted a pupsave.2fs to 3fs and checked mount on an ext2 partition. Why convert a pupsave.2fs to 3fs when you are using it on an ext2 partition?
I had the impression you had done this 2fs -> 3fs experiment.
Because in quite some threads a 2fs save file is considered unstable due to unclean unmounts. And this is my experience also.
The advice was given to better use a journaling file system like a 3fs.
It's not because the host, in my case the sdb7, is a ext2 partition that a save file automatically is a ext2 file system as well. A save file, be it a 2fs of 3fs file system can be on a partition like ntfs, vfat, ext2 etc....
Time savers:

01micko

#46 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:Hmmm, yes, I'll consider that next time I compile the kernel. 2.6.30+ allows the default to be set to "ordered":
aarf wrote:who told you BK bites?
Um.. I don't know..

Jim1911 wrote:Great, but I don't think that it will be that simple to change the rc_shutdown script. Consider a PM to tazoc, he initially had a problem with frugal installations on an NTFS or FAT32 partition, this was discovered with his initial release of 443G which he had to pull and update. Have you tried it on an NTFS partition?
I'm grabbing the LHP F>>Gu1 delta now to upgrade my 443F iso and will take a first hand look at tazoc's mods to the scripts and will PM him with any questions I have .. Thanks Jim

Béèm

#47 Post by Béèm »

Jim1911 wrote:
Jim, I see now it was 01micko who said he would do the test.
Sorry about the confusion.
Bernard
Time savers:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#48 Post by Lobster »

Additional software installed and working fine.
That's good news :)
Does it install from the puppy package manager?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#49 Post by playdayz »

Hi Lobster,

I think the answer would be "sometimes." However, I do that very infrequently myself. Most of the binaries are from Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, and when I want to try something different, I get it from the ubuntu.packages.com (the Lucid Lynx repositories). I also install things direct from the creators, such as Opera, Firefox, Iron, Flashplayer and so forth. I know the htop pet works because I use that, but remember that Puppy 4.0 is built with T2 rather than these Ubuntu binaries. One thing we do is to keep a list in the first message of the thread with links to programs that have been tested to work (in the thread for Karmic, not in this thread yet). That list could become the basis of a Lucid Puppy repo if more people were interested.

With uPup we have been tracking Woof, so when Barry puts that capability in Woof it will show up here. I see why you ask--it would be nice if it did--and the work could be done to make it so--but I have enough keeping up with woof and Ubuntu Lucid now. I regard Lucid Puppy as experimental those who want easy install from PPM should probably stay with the Official Puppy.

01micko

#50 Post by 01micko »

Hi playdayz

One thing.. no devx yet :wink:

Cheers

edit... Lucid Puppy 5.0 eh? 8) http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01457

We better get compiling .. :)