Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stu90

#151 Post by stu90 »

Great idea with the browser choice - downloaded iron all seems to work ok.

would it be possible to have the updated blinky in lupup that ttuuxxx has added to 4.3.2 official?

I also change my default volume and pwireless2 tray icons for ubuntu ones - if any use for lupup here is .png download light/dark.
http://rapidshare.com/files/372114204/v ... ar.gz.html

thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#152 Post by Lobster »

What does everyone think of this idea?
It is good
I hope playdayz will comment
As far as I understand it, he is using HTML
and netsurf

I would add Netsurf to your list - We DO have
a minimal browser already in Lucid :)

So for Netsurf it would just change the default browser, for the others it would install and change
to other browsers. If the browser was already on the system could it swap or uninstall as an option?

I would also think about how your program could be used in other Puppys - Are you using GTKdialog?
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#153 Post by 01micko »

I would also think about how your program could be used in other Puppys - Are you using GTKdialog?
Yes it is, and your thought is spot on! It could be used in any Puppy.

I have designed it with a configurable config file so that the browser can be sourced from any repo on the planet, or if possible off the planet. 8) The config file is mainly designed for the lead developer to change to what ever repo suits his distro. I un-hardcoded it.. :roll:

I am just running some final tests on the first draft, Some things are slightly broken, but that is where the config file comes in. It is located at $HOME/.browser-links.config. Anyone can edit it if they know what to do, it is fairly straightforward.

I have added Flash and Java, so puppy need not ship with flash either. That link is working. Java is disabled .. on purpose. I'll leave it up to playdayz if he wants to use it, and if so he can put in the links he wants, very easily.

Well, while I'm typing it passed the test! .. uploading now

Be warned, this is experimental! Use at own risk, I suggest backup pupsave or try pfix=ram

Cheers and enjoy

EDIT: only try Thunderbird if you want to chase dependencies, it is from the Ubuntu Lucid repo... NO .. you can't now I disabled
Also grabbing seamonkey-1.1.19 presented a bug.

Remember, this app does not claim to be stable, it is really a concept
Attachments
bs1.jpg
(33.62 KiB) Downloaded 2141 times
bs2.jpg
(25.69 KiB) Downloaded 2083 times
browser-installer-0.1.1.pet
(41.8 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 09:02, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#154 Post by Lobster »

Just used it to install Seamonkey 2 :)
(yep I am using at my own risk)

I would eventually put Flash and Java
into other menus

Are you also thinking of adding major packages
such as Open Office - but then it starts to become a package manager - so not right. Unthink. :roll:

The code can be seen in (just load into a text editor)
/usr/sbin/browser-installer
might inspire improvements other projects

Good simple to understand/modify code

Many thanks
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#155 Post by pemasu »

Thunderbird error when installing from 01micko installer:

Code: Select all

bash-3.00# thunderbird
/usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-aux.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bash-3.00# 
Thunderbird 3.0.4 standalone installation does not contain that libxcb-aux.so.0. And it works ok from its own folder at /mnt/home.

I chased depencies more. I installed next three by package manager but then I got ssl3 error. See the attachment.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#156 Post by 01micko »

Hi pemasu

Yeah, I knew about that, that's why the early edit, but I made a bright bold edit now. I haven't figured out how to resolve dependencies, but in saying that, it is mainly designed in mind for puppy repos. I should add password capabilities so that passwords are ok with the repos that require those. On the to do list.

Of course that's providing playdayz likes the offering :)

Cheers

pemasu

#157 Post by pemasu »

The installer is brilliant and needed addon. The opportunity to install your favourite browser and e-mail client should stop the discussion which one should be included with distro. And so focus energy to more fruitful direction. :)

stu90

#158 Post by stu90 »

How about transmission bit torrent client for one click instillation?
seems to be a very popular forum download:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 50&t=38969

playdayz

#159 Post by playdayz »

01micko. Browser installer. Beautiful. I haven't tried it; I just got up and I have to do my paying job for a while. You say it opens petget. I wonder if it could just install the browser itself--then it would be truly one-click. I have been thinking of course about extending the Choose Your Own idea--but right now I am thinking to stay only with Add Your Own Browser--plus maybe browser related programs. Let's keep thinking. Flash should be installed already--it is small, so no need for that in the BI (Browser Installer). My reasoning is that it might get complicated by presenting noobies too many choices. Everyone knows about the browsers, but I think many would not know about email programs, etc. Does that make sense. Let's keep thinking ;-) Of course we could add to the list of things that BI could do in subsequent versions.

pemasu

#160 Post by pemasu »

I believe there are preferences for email clients also. People use Opera, Seamonkey, Simple mail addon with Firefox, Claws, Sylpheed (maybe :) ), and Thunderbird, which has become my favourite. Also Gmail with favourite browser is used a lot.

So possibility to use your favourite client or to not install at all is something which should be considered.

I like 01mickos installer idea for making your own decision.

But this is just my HO. This should not be considered as persuasion.

Anyway I like Upup and the direction it is going.

nooby

#161 Post by nooby »

I like 01mickos installer idea for making your own decision.
Have not tested but love the idea one have a choice.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#162 Post by stu90 »

lupup desktop walpaper:
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9061/deskfullu.png

wallpapers
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
Last edited by stu90 on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 14:34, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#163 Post by pemasu »

Couple of observation more:

- Cups Printer Wizard uses netsurf, but it does not handle Admin pages option boxes right, it isnt possible to scroll them succesfully or it does not handle the choice. I had to open http://localhost:631 in firefox to get my HP LJ 1020 configured. After that it worked. I used foo2xxx_r220909-0.0-i486.pet succesfully, it is needed for hotplugin folder creation for HP LJ1020 model.

- Pnethood scans Windows machines really slow. I checked the difference with Stardust, it took couple of seconds and with Lupu couple of minutes, at least, repeatedly. Twice my WLAN-ADSL router went offline after probing and I had to reboot it. Coincidence maybe. Anyway lameSMBxplorer works normal fast and shares are available.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 05 Apr 2010, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

svgt

Black screen after system starts

#164 Post by svgt »

After typing the boot parameter pfix=ram the system shows a black screen. At the same laptop Puppy431 is running.

Is perhaps memory to small?
Hardware: Pentium III 700Mhz - 160MB Ram - Intel 440BX/ZX

PS: I managed it with boot parameter acpi=off

01micko

#165 Post by 01micko »

OK folks

Just compiled the latest JWM snapshot, I think the icon bug might be beat! Please test. I really hope it is beat! (shame the "k" bug isn't yet)

(Love those walls Stu)

Cheers

ICONS TO TEST
-the "Pcur" icon in the desktop menu is a notable one, for me it had a pink background, it is ok now.

-geany icon, of course you need geany text editor to test it, mine had a white washy background, is fine now.

-aarf, you can test them all!

Important! the 'libpixman' needs to be rolled back to the original version, it is attached not needed for lupu-oo2 and less unless you installed the libpixman fix

after installation restart X
Attachments
libpixman-Lucid-1.6.4.pet
only needed for greater or equal to lupu-003
(143.87 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
jwm-478-i486.pet
(80.42 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 07 Apr 2010, 08:01, edited 3 times in total.

01micko

#166 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:01micko. Browser installer. Beautiful. I haven't tried it; I just got up and I have to do my paying job for a while. You say it opens petget. I wonder if it could just install the browser itself--then it would be truly one-click. I have been thinking of course about extending the Choose Your Own idea--but right now I am thinking to stay only with Add Your Own Browser--plus maybe browser related programs. Let's keep thinking. Flash should be installed already--it is small, so no need for that in the BI (Browser Installer). My reasoning is that it might get complicated by presenting noobies too many choices. Everyone knows about the browsers, but I think many would not know about email programs, etc. Does that make sense. Let's keep thinking ;-) Of course we could add to the list of things that BI could do in subsequent versions.
I can make it one page with just browsers and maybe a couple of email-clients. Don't care much about Java but I guess many would.

I could make it truly one click, but the disadvantage is that it does not register with petget and does complicate the code somewhat. I don't think a couple of "OK" clicks is too much, just thinking about M$ windows, you usually have to accept a lisence agreement and so forth, often many clicks to install something really simple. "such and such directoery does not exist, do you want to create it?" :lol:

Of course we do want to keep it very simple.

An alternative could be to run a small daemon using the "first boot page" of yours detecting when the browser file is downloaded and then installing, but daemons can slow older kit, not ideal.

Anyway, we have a little time to decide this one, the app I made is very simple as is, less scope for bugs, 8) . If I stuff with it too much it may introduce something we miss in the time we do have.

Cheers

Tui

#167 Post by Tui »

Hi RAFFY, This version of Puppy won't
detect my WiFi card, this is an ACX_PCI Texas
Instruments 111 54Mbs Wireless Interface Card.

This has not been detected on Puppy versions after
V4.0 and Quirky versions have the same problem.

Cheers Tui

01micko

#168 Post by 01micko »

I have the same card Tui, and so does BarryK, the source for the card will not compile in later kernels, only answer is ndiswrapper wich is broken in k2.6.31.5 :(

Cheers

nooby

#169 Post by nooby »

I love the ability to have a user choice of browser.

How should one satisfy those that use Puppy as a rescue CD or DVD that is only used in pristine usage maybe to repair others computers when they have windows messed up with trojans and such. They need a good browser to do google to find out info on the trojan and maybe download some fix that exists?

Sure they can use puppy431 for that?

But they still would love to have the next puppy for banking and such too?

So maybe a minimal browser that doesn't interfere with the choice? Which is the smallest such browser that still would work for their purpose?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ray MK

#170 Post by Ray MK »

Hi
The latest Dillo may be worth considering - it's very small and
very capable.

Best regards - Ray