Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
8-bit

#1261 Post by 8-bit »

Playdayz,
I had downloaded lucid puppy 501, ran a md5sum check on it and created a frugal install.
I booted with pfix=ram and set up networking.
When I selected the nvidia driver from QuickPet, the download failed twice almost like that file had been removed.
I then tried the Nvidia pet I had previously that WORKED with puppy 500 and it failed as well s getting a poor english as to an error statement that some file was in the wrong place that had nothing to do with the files in the nvidia pet.
Needless to say, I was disappointed.
I then tried the 203 version I had downloaded as I did not know of a 204 version.
First, I really liked the popup of simple network wizard for network connection.
Second, I would like to see an option in QuickPet to be able to have the option to save the dowwnloaded pet files that are to be installed rather than the automatic deletion of the downloaded pet after the install.

jackieflorida

#1262 Post by jackieflorida »

Hi playdayz,

I did not try the native PDF printer until after installing Foxit via Quickpet. From other posts about the problem I gather that it exists with or without Foxit.

I first noticed the problem when I tried to print a PDF copy of an online receipt from a web page in the Seamonkey browser. I have not tried to print from Foxit or Abiword. As mentioned previously, I have already deleted the non-working native PDF printer so I can't test it on other apps.

The http://www.box.net online file storage/sharing is free for a gigabyte or so and filesize somewhat restricted to maybe 100mb, as I can recall from memory. So for smaller files it is a very easy site to use.

Regarding Quickpet: I have not yet found a way to remove an app after installing it with Quickpet. I would presume that there is a command line that would do this.

smokey01

#1263 Post by smokey01 »

You should be able to remove the application in Puppy Package Manager.

jackieflorida

#1264 Post by jackieflorida »

Thanks smokey01.
I had actually looked there a few days ago and for some reason did not see the Quickpet apps among the Pet apps, but since reading your post I went back, took another look, and found them.

playdayz

#1265 Post by playdayz »

Second, I would like to see an option in QuickPet to be able to have the option to save the dowwnloaded pet files that are to be installed rather than the automatic deletion of the downloaded pet after the install.
01micko agrees with that.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

desktop drive icons show 0GB space

#1266 Post by Béèm »

Happy to report that desktop drive icons show 0GB space is solved. Thank you playdayz to have incorporated the fix.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

paule

Screen refresh / browser scrolling problem?

#1267 Post by paule »

Is any progress being made on the Screen refresh/bowser scrolling problem? I have been playing with Lucid 5.0.1 on a Panasonic CF-28 which runs all the other puppy versions I have tired just fine. Unfortunately when using Firefox with 5.0.1 the blurred line problem occurs. I have tried searching all the back messages but can't see anywhere that this problem has been resolved.

cheers, Paul

nooby

#1268 Post by nooby »

This is only my wild guess.

On my gear it seems related to if one have the correct driver or not.

It cleared up when I managed to get NVidia driver going. But it was not easy and I ahve no way of retelling how one does it.

I failed several times after the single success so hope others also give their suggestions.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

Re: Screen refresh / browser scrolling problem?

#1269 Post by James C »

paule wrote:Is any progress being made on the Screen refresh/bowser scrolling problem? I have been playing with Lucid 5.0.1 on a Panasonic CF-28 which runs all the other puppy versions I have tired just fine. Unfortunately when using Firefox with 5.0.1 the blurred line problem occurs. I have tried searching all the back messages but can't see anywhere that this problem has been resolved.

cheers, Paul
I've been running the same frugal install of 5.0.1 since the day it was released with no graphics or browser problems.I'm using Firefox,Opera and Arora browsers...no problems.

There have been some graphics driver issues on some equipment so I agree with Nooby.Some equipment works perfectly with Lucid Puppy and some doesn't........hopefully most of the problems will be taken care of in the next release.

enhu

#1270 Post by enhu »

did anyone ever created a transmission pet for lucid?
please provide me a download link :D

stu90

#1271 Post by stu90 »

enhu wrote:did anyone ever created a transmission pet for lucid?
Michalis has Transmission 2.01 pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38969

enhu

#1272 Post by enhu »

stu90 wrote:
enhu wrote:did anyone ever created a transmission pet for lucid?
Michalis has Transmission 2.01 pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38969
thanks, hope this works on lucid :D

tubeguy

#1273 Post by tubeguy »

enhu wrote:thanks, hope this works on lucid :D
Works in luci-207, should work in lucid. Thanks for asking about this. I've been using an old version and this is great to have. 8)
Attachments
transmission201.jpg
(57.36 KiB) Downloaded 2341 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

FloppyDisk1.44

#1274 Post by FloppyDisk1.44 »

Will we be seeing Opera 10.60 through QuickPet or should I start figuring out how to install Opera by "normal" means?
[b]Lucid Puppy 500 running on:[/b]
[u]Dell OptiPlex GX110
Pentium III 733MHz
2X256MB PC100 SDRAM
2X40GB (37.2GB Actual Size) Hard Drive
Originally Ran Win98SE[/u]

[i]Puppy User Since Puppy 421[/i]

stu90

#1275 Post by stu90 »

FloppyDisk1.44 wrote:Will we be seeing Opera 10.60 through QuickPet or should I start figuring out how to install Opera by "normal" means?
There is Opera 10.60 .pet on this link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39444
I'm using the portable version works on lucid 5.0 and the lucid 20x betas.

FloppyDisk1.44

#1276 Post by FloppyDisk1.44 »

FloppyDisk1.44 wrote:Will we be seeing Opera 10.60 through QuickPet or should I start figuring out how to install Opera by "normal" means?
Sorry about that ^^^

I got a pm telling me where to get it and feel a bit stupid for somehow missing it!

I did go to these pages, but Opera was showing me cached pages and I didn't realize it!

playdayz

#1277 Post by playdayz »

Floppydisk1.44

I have been looking forward to Opera 10.60 because it seems nice and fast, but there is some problem with playing media files in 10.60--a ubuntu problem as I understand it. It will be available in the Puppy Package Manager of 5.1 though and it sounds like you have installed it yourself.

James C

#1278 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: I have been looking forward to Opera 10.60 because it seems nice and fast, but there is some problem with playing media files in 10.60--a ubuntu problem as I understand it. It will be available in the Puppy Package Manager of 5.1 though and it sounds like you have installed it yourself.
I'm posting with 10.60 in Luci-209 right now.It is nice and quite a bit faster.It works really well..........except for the media files. :?

I made a pet from Ubuntu debs.....problem. Made a pet from the tar.gz packages....same problem.Tried simply installing the deb...same problem. :( Wasn't happy with the results so didn't upload any.

Running 10.60 in my Mepis install.....no problems at all.Plays media files and everything.Could Iced Tea be helping?

Nooblet0218

#1279 Post by Nooblet0218 »

hmmm... i'm using opera 10.60 (i've been using it since it came out) on a full install lupu 5.01 and i haven't come accross this media player problem... I play flash/java apps well, and i've tried the opera unite media player and i'm able to play everything well... i used the .tar.gz install from opera to install this though so maybe that's the solution?

Jasper

#1280 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz and all,

I was just reading about Keryx http://keryxproject.org/

Since it seems to collect Ubuntu package dependencies I just wondered (in the unlikely case that you don´t already know about it) if it might be of interest.

My regards