Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bones01

thanks Smokey

#1246 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for your help Smokey. I eventually threw caution to the wind and re-installed Puppy completely. It meant I lost everything, which is a pain, but now I'm using the computer, so that's pretty good.

Thanks for your explanation too. I was really frustrated that although I was trying to follow the instructions, I had no idea what to do once it said "add this to menu.lst", so I think I panicked, took a rough guess, and destroyed it. Then even when I tried to delete what I had added, I ended up nowhere.

Live and learn.

No doubt you are warmer in Palmerston than I am in Warburton, Vic.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

nicholasbuckner

#1247 Post by nicholasbuckner »

i got it and i boots 1 in 5 times from cd and when installed to hard in frugal or full, the computers just doesn't see it

8-bit

aisleriot dependencies

#1248 Post by 8-bit »

For those of you that have had aisleriot solitare fail due to the missing depencency "libgmp.so.3" I have found it in the lupu section of Puppy Package manager.
To save you the trouble of locating, downloading, and installing it, I am attaching it for you.
Extract it to /usr/lib and aisleriot will again run.
Hope this helps.

gjuhasz

#1249 Post by gjuhasz »

playdayz wrote:Have you had trouble with gxine? This is the replacement we are strongly considering for Lucid Puppy 5.1.
I can use mplayer having the referenced mplayer pets installed. However, gxine refuses playing some streams from this point. For example, when trying to play Sky News, I get the below error message. Downloading wmvdmod.dll and adding it both to /usr/lib/win32 and /usr/lib/codecs does not help.
Note that gxine plays this stream well without the mplayer pets, i.e., before the pets added and after they are removed.
Attachments
a1.jpg
(48.9 KiB) Downloaded 3308 times

gerry

#1250 Post by gerry »

MISSING LINK- again!

Link from /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb to /opt/samba/bin/smbspool is missing.

This gives you the choice in CUPS to set up a printer connected to a Windows computer.

Barry puts it in, nobody else does.

In the meantime, if you need it,

ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

gerry

playdayz

#1251 Post by playdayz »

This gives you the choice in CUPS to set up a printer connected to a Windows computer.

Thanks gerry. I will add it to luci-204 out in a day or two.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gjuhasz
Note that gxine plays this stream well without the mplayer pets, i.e., before the pets added and after they are removed.
Wow. It's never easy. Does gnome-mplayer play the files in question?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
8-bit
aisleriot solitare
Since it doesn't install correctly from PPM I should make apet with all deps to add to the new Lucid virtual repo, with all programs tested. Do you have any other recommended programs?

gabuzo

syslinux no default or ui configuration directive found

#1252 Post by gabuzo »

Hi,
after downloading the lupu-501.iso i copied the files to my USB stick with syslinux previously installed.
During booting, I get the message from syslinux:
"no default or ui configuration directive found"

I suggest to change the name of file isolinux.cfg to "syslinux.cfg"

gjuhasz

#1253 Post by gjuhasz »

playdayz wrote:
Wow. It's never easy. Does gnome-mplayer play the files in question?
Yes, mplayer well plays the streams listed in Pstreamvid. I just wanted to compare the performance of gxine against mplayer. Anyway, they are selectable in Pstreamvid, so I suspect that they can coexist in one system.

playdayz

#1254 Post by playdayz »

@ gerry, I just checked and /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb already exists. I am going to go ahead and do it anyway. Please check it in luci-204. Thanks.

8-bit

#1255 Post by 8-bit »

I do not know if I have got the latest version of lupu.
I downloaded lupu-501.iso ran a checksum on the file and that checked.
But when I booted it fresh with no lupusave file, it failed to recognize my nvidia card and used the vesa driver.
I then , after setting up an internet network connection, tried to download and install the Nvidia pet package.
The download failed twice and I gave up on that.
I then copied my lupusave-500.2fs file from my lupu500 directory to the new one I had created for lupu501, rebooted and let it do an upgrade of the lupusave file.
That at least got me to a desktop with the nvidia package installed.
But before, without any lupusave file, I tried installing a nvidia pet that had worked fine with a fresh install of lupu 500.
So I assume something got broke in the xorgwizard to the extent that it failed to recognize my video card and also failed to get to a working desktop after an attempted install of the Nvidia pet that had worked with lupu 500.
So currently I am very disappointed and feel that lupu-501.iso is broken and I am going to trash it.

jackieflorida

Configuring a working PDF printer in Lucid and 4.2.1

#1256 Post by jackieflorida »

Here is what I did to configure a working PDF printer which for me is an essential feature.

Via menu items: Menu/Setup/CupsPrinterWizard/Administration/FindNewPrinters

Even though there is the native non-working pdf printer, the Wizard will find a new pdf printer. Select that and advance to the next page where you can enter a working pdf ppd file.

I have made a working pdf ppd file available here: http://www.box.net/shared/rqkjsu0tov

It works for me in Lucid and also 4.2.1 where there was no native pdf printer included.

playdayz

#1257 Post by playdayz »

8-bit. I am sorry that happened. I have a couple of suggestions. 1) is to try luci-204, the latest development release. In the PPM in luci-204there is a new nvidia pet that 01micko prepared, but it works only with luci-204 and onward. You need to add an update pet that is also linked in that first message. 2) did you download the nvidia pet from Qucikpet in lupu-501? That is the one that Barry made that works with lupu-500 and I though it worked with lupu-501. Going from lupu-500 to lupu-501 is safest without upgrading imho. Yes, I know that upgrading should be fine but remember that this is a new kind of Puppy aand hasn't been refined as much as 4.3.1 for instance. Thank you for your help in bettering it.

luci-204 -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55740 If you use luci-204 then you should use the Nvidia driver that is in PPM, *not* the one in Quickpet.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 23 Jun 2010, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1258 Post by playdayz »

jackieflorida
Here is what I did to configure a working PDF printer which for me is an essential feature.

Via menu items: Menu/Setup/CupsPrinterWizard/Administration/FindNewPrinters

Even though there is the native non-working pdf printer, the Wizard will find a new pdf printer. Select that and advance to the next page where you can enter a working pdf ppd file.

I have made a working pdf ppd file available here: http://www.box.net/shared/rqkjsu0tov
This is the first report that the pdf-printer is not working. What version of Lucid Puppy are you using please? I have used the pdf printer is most versions. You could help us out by including more details, what version, how does it malfunction, and so forth. Oh yes, one malfunction has been reported, that the pdf printer does not print graphics correctly sometimes in abiword--instead prints a black box. Is that it? You could also try "Print to File" in abiword--that also prints a pdf file and I think it might not have that same problem. Thanks for your help. We will test with the ppd you linked.

jackieflorida

#1259 Post by jackieflorida »

Hi playdayz,

Actually when I first found that the native pdf printer was not working in my Lucid 5.0.1 I did a search on http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html using +pdf +lucid as a search criterion and I found a number of already existing posts on this problem.

In my Lucid 5.0.1 I had installed FOXIT via QuickPet prior to my finding the pdf printing problem. It is this exact installation where I found the native pdf printer not working. It shows a printing progress bar but neither shows nor asks for a destination. I looked in the usual default destinations (root, documents) but to no avail.

I then rectified this problem as I have posted above. BTW, I cleaned up my CUPS Printer presentation by deleting the native non-working pdf printer.

The pdf ppd file is one that I had extracted, uploaded and posted some time ago from Puppy 4.1.2 where it was the native pdf ppd file. I originally posted on this when I rectified for the non-existing native pdf printer in 4.2.1. This ppd has been downloaded from my site many times since then.

playdayz

#1260 Post by playdayz »

Thanks jackieflorida

So I understand, it is in printing from Foxit that there is the problem? And then installing your ppd allows printing from Foxit? Did you use the Foxit in Quickpet or did you install your own (I have no reason to think the Foxit in Quickpet is any better--I didn't change anything).

Have you tried printing to pdf from abiword at all? Thanks.

btw, that seems like a good site to share files--no ads no hype. Is it free?

We will be announcing luci-205 in a few days which will be the start fo the public testing for Lucid Puppy 5.10, if you would like to test and make sure the pdf printing is right before the release. Thanks again.

8-bit

#1261 Post by 8-bit »

Playdayz,
I had downloaded lucid puppy 501, ran a md5sum check on it and created a frugal install.
I booted with pfix=ram and set up networking.
When I selected the nvidia driver from QuickPet, the download failed twice almost like that file had been removed.
I then tried the Nvidia pet I had previously that WORKED with puppy 500 and it failed as well s getting a poor english as to an error statement that some file was in the wrong place that had nothing to do with the files in the nvidia pet.
Needless to say, I was disappointed.
I then tried the 203 version I had downloaded as I did not know of a 204 version.
First, I really liked the popup of simple network wizard for network connection.
Second, I would like to see an option in QuickPet to be able to have the option to save the dowwnloaded pet files that are to be installed rather than the automatic deletion of the downloaded pet after the install.

jackieflorida

#1262 Post by jackieflorida »

Hi playdayz,

I did not try the native PDF printer until after installing Foxit via Quickpet. From other posts about the problem I gather that it exists with or without Foxit.

I first noticed the problem when I tried to print a PDF copy of an online receipt from a web page in the Seamonkey browser. I have not tried to print from Foxit or Abiword. As mentioned previously, I have already deleted the non-working native PDF printer so I can't test it on other apps.

The http://www.box.net online file storage/sharing is free for a gigabyte or so and filesize somewhat restricted to maybe 100mb, as I can recall from memory. So for smaller files it is a very easy site to use.

Regarding Quickpet: I have not yet found a way to remove an app after installing it with Quickpet. I would presume that there is a command line that would do this.

smokey01

#1263 Post by smokey01 »

You should be able to remove the application in Puppy Package Manager.

jackieflorida

#1264 Post by jackieflorida »

Thanks smokey01.
I had actually looked there a few days ago and for some reason did not see the Quickpet apps among the Pet apps, but since reading your post I went back, took another look, and found them.

playdayz

#1265 Post by playdayz »

Second, I would like to see an option in QuickPet to be able to have the option to save the dowwnloaded pet files that are to be installed rather than the automatic deletion of the downloaded pet after the install.
01micko agrees with that.