Ramboot, copy2ram revisited.

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
gyro

Ramboot, copy2ram revisited.

#1 Post by gyro »

I have attached a modified initrd.gz for Puppy 431.

Ramboot/copy2ram Modifications:
1) Both "copy2ram" and "ramboot" include bootmanager extra sfs files.
2) "ramboot" fails gracefully; if not all files will fit into tmpfs, it displays a message but continues the boot with pupsave.xfs not in ram.
3) Uses a single tmpfs for files.

Other Modifications:
1) Supports loading of ext2 (2fs), ext3 (3fs) and ext4 (4fs) pupsave files.
2) Extra sfs files are loaded in the order specified, rather than alphabetical.
3) Supports loading "zap-431.sfs" file, if it exists, after any extra sfs files.

zap-nnn.sfs:
This contains all those files in pup-431.sfs that I don't want to use because I intend to replace them with files in an sfs file. But if the extra sfs file containing the replacement files, is not present, these files are still available.
This has the advantage that these files can be covered by an sfs file, unlike those in pup-431.sfs. And they don't get loaded into ram by copy2ram.
(It annoyed me that the Seamonkey I don't use was loaded into ram, but the Firefox I do use wasn't.)
examples:
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.18, because I load Firefox in an sfs file.
/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, so the one included in the Firefox sfs file will "cover" it.

NOTE: No attempt is provided to "save" anything from a successful "ramboot" session. My assumption is that "ramboot" is meant for running without any mounted persistent storage, so that changes made during the session are discarded.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Thu 10 Jun 2010, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

Excellent. I was thinking of doing something along the same line.

I'm unclear, does the zap file go to RAM? I think it should.

I suggest using the latest init script from Quirky as a starting point - there's a lot of bug fixes in the new version and its backwards compatible.

I may try to incorporate these changes into Puppeee/Fluppy when I rebuild the init script with Patriot's clean shutdown patches.

gyro

#3 Post by gyro »

jemimah wrote:I'm unclear, does the zap file go to RAM? I think it should.
The zap file gets loaded into RAM for a ramboot, but not for just a copy2ram.
jemimah wrote:I suggest using the latest init script from Quirky as a starting point - there's a lot of bug fixes in the new version and its backwards compatible.
I've not done any work with Quirky yet, but I intend to look at Quiky soon.
jemimah wrote:I may try to incorporate these changes into Puppeee/Fluppy when I rebuild the init script with Patriot's clean shutdown patches.
You're welcome. As I think you once said, this stuff is public domain, do with it what you will.

gyro

gyro

plus Patriot's clean shutdown patches

#4 Post by gyro »

jemimah wrote:when I rebuild the init script with Patriot's clean shutdown patches.
Thank's Jemimah for alerting me to Patriot's work.
I have attached a new "initrd.gz" that includes Patriot's patch to the "init" script as well as mine.

gyro