Conexant HCF V90 PCI, or WebExcel 56000 serial port modem?

Toppy

Conexant HCF V90 PCI, or WebExcel 56000 serial port modem?

#1 Post by Toppy »

Hi,

Hoping that someone can help.

I have an old PC that I'm building for my father with BoxPup 431.

Have a PCI card from his old PC, Conexant HCF V90 (it says RH56D) but Pupdial probes don't work at all. I have seen that Conexant drivers are speed-limited to 14.4K so I thought that rules this one out anyway.

I also got an old WebExcel 56000 voice fax modem. On the back it says model ME201A so I think that it was a Rockwell modem. It's connected to a serial port on the PC but again pupdial probes don't find anything.

Does anyone know if I can get either modem working to full capacity?

Failing that, is there a recommended brand/model of modem that I should buy? I'm in the UK. A quick look at the cheapest ones gave me these:

Hayes ACCURA V.92 56k PCI Softmodem
Zoom USB V.92 56k Dongle Modem
US Robotics 56K Internal Data/fax Modem V.92

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Been going round in circles looking at various posts in the dialup subforum but haven't found anything that works yet.

PS I'm also downloading the pup-431-scsi-intel_modems.iso file at the moment to see if that puplet can see either of my current ones.

Toppy

#2 Post by Toppy »

I've now tried the puplet pup-431-scsi-intel_modems.iso and it detects/uses the Conexant PCI modem. Connect speed appears to be good :lol:

So all I need to do now is move one (or all of) the modem drivers from this puplet to BoxPup. Is there an easy way to do that?

Toppy

#3 Post by Toppy »

I got the Conexant working by copying the /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/hcfpcimodem folder from one system to another, but found that the Conexant PCI dropped connection every so often. Possibly that's a hardware problem.

It doesn't matter, as I've now bought a proper external modem (Hayes Accura V.92) which is working fine 8)