DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Jim1911

#106 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:Jim and Dave
Your problems with getting wrong description in Favorites menu is not possible for me to reproduce. Neither in my Stardust 013 system nor on a fresh lupu. I know this problem happened earlier, but now seems to work ok. BUT, to get fresh descriptions, you need a fresh install. If you uninstall, please also remove whatever is left in /root/.stardust.
Sigmund
Working great on a fresh install of Lucid Puppy-5.0. Above problem isn't showing up with this version. Haven't checked out all the new features, but so far it's working great. Didn't know what to expect with Micksclock, cool.

Thank you for DuDE,
Jim :D

01micko

#107 Post by 01micko »

Hmmmm... ( :wink: :P )

EDIT: It's ok now, the cat's out of the bag :P (hehe, I downloaded a bit early :wink: )
Attachments
q110d03.jpg
(27.48 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#108 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

Your clock needs a little more contrast, maybe yellow on black, or a light gray on black. Dark gray on black is too close for my old eyes to make out the time if it's across the room. Real cool clock.

Thanks,

DaveS

#109 Post by DaveS »

Got a bit crazy trying to get Lupu and Quirky to run on my stuff. Xorg/Intel crap. Gave up and re-built a new 4.3 with DuDE 0.3. Total JOY! Cursors are loads of fun. Still have the same junk naming (seamonkey-addressbook) etc. but hey, who cares :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ejb

DUDE 0.3 fixmenus problem

#110 Post by ejb »

Zigbert,

Dude is a fantastic addition to the Puppy interface. I installed version 0.3 on top of a new lupu 500 frugal install. I also added several applications using sfs files. The apps in the sfs files do not show up in the favorites list. They are in the Puppy menus. This was working properly with dude-0.21. The apps do have .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.

As a test I copied the fixmenus from a dude-0.21 install and copied it to the dude-0.3 installation. Reran fixmenus and the apps showed up in the favorites list. This was working with 0.21.

Outside of this small problem, everything else I have tested is working great.

Thanks,
Ed

zigbert

#111 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:Did you read my rant in the Lupu thread?
I did, and regarding Pburn, I have to say: I always recommend k3b when someone finds Pburn too weak :) K3b is the king, but also the only one to recommend. In the open source wilderness of burning apps, I find Pburn the second best alternative. Looking at size/dependencies, no one beats Pburn, and now when burning is not that important that it was 5 years ago, I think Pburn fits perfectly as the builtin burning-app.
01micko wrote:I'm just wondering.. did you already know about that yaf-splash font trick? You can use any installed font but some are certainly tricky to get going and some don't do the big size..
I was not aware of this until I saw you using DejaVu in your clock. I thought is was limited to fixed fonts. This makes yaf-splash MUCH better looking than what we are used to see.
01micko wrote:One suggestion for the next version and I should have mentioned it earlier. Can you integrate a button in the "Install" tab for Quickpet in PCC? It showed up in Favourites in the last version and I gather will do so again.
Will do! The reason why it showed up by default in the most-used menu is that defaultbrowser points to quickpet in lupu.
01micko wrote:This is fantastic.
Puppians are not hard to please :D

Sigmund

zigbert

#112 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:
zigbert wrote:Jim and Dave
Your problems with getting wrong description in Favorites menu is not possible for me to reproduce. Neither in my Stardust 013 system nor on a fresh lupu. I know this problem happened earlier, but now seems to work ok. BUT, to get fresh descriptions, you need a fresh install. If you uninstall, please also remove whatever is left in /root/.stardust.
Sigmund
Working great on a fresh install of Lucid Puppy-5.0. Above problem isn't showing up with this version.
Thank you for mention

Sigmund

zigbert

#113 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi Mick,

Your clock needs a little more contrast, maybe yellow on black, or a light gray on black. Dark gray on black is too close for my old eyes to make out the time if it's across the room. Real cool clock.

Thanks,
Jim, you can start the clock with whatever color

Code: Select all

MicksClock black yellow

zigbert

#114 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:Got a bit crazy trying to get Lupu and Quirky to run on my stuff. Xorg/Intel crap. Gave up and re-built a new 4.3 with DuDE 0.3. Total JOY! Cursors are loads of fun. Still have the same junk naming (seamonkey-addressbook) etc. but hey, who cares :)
Dave, I really care.... - I do want it to act correct :)

Since Jim nor I am able to find this bug, please be as specific as you can. What did you do to get the wrong description in the Favorites menu?

Thank you for your help
Sigmund

zigbert

Re: DUDE 0.3 fixmenus problem

#115 Post by zigbert »

ejb wrote:I also added several applications using sfs files. The apps in the sfs files do not show up in the favorites list. They are in the Puppy menus. This was working properly with dude-0.21. The apps do have .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.
Please point me to one of these sfs-files.

Thank you
Sigmund

DaveS

#116 Post by DaveS »

zigbert wrote:
DaveS wrote:Got a bit crazy trying to get Lupu and Quirky to run on my stuff. Xorg/Intel crap. Gave up and re-built a new 4.3 with DuDE 0.3. Total JOY! Cursors are loads of fun. Still have the same junk naming (seamonkey-addressbook) etc. but hey, who cares :)
Dave, I really care.... - I do want it to act correct :)

Since Jim nor I am able to find this bug, please be as specific as you can. What did you do to get the wrong description in the Favorites menu?

Thank you for your help
Sigmund
Just right click on the desktop, select edit favorites and add seamonkey. Entry shows up as Seamonkey Addressbook. Clean install of 4.3.1 Final, frugal, hard drive.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ejb

#117 Post by ejb »

zigbert wrote:
ejb wrote:I also added several applications using sfs files. The apps in the sfs files do not show up in the favorites list. They are in the Puppy menus. This was working properly with dude-0.21. The apps do have .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.
Please point me to one of these sfs-files.

Thank you
Sigmund
Zigbert,

I was using ch4-alsa-streamtuner-3.sfs from choicepup 431. I started from scratch again. Reinstalled lupu500, pwidgets, dude-0.3 and added the sfs file via bootmanager. This time it worked perfectly. Obviously, I must have messed something up the first try. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for a great tool.

Ed

zigbert

#118 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:Just right click on the desktop, select edit favorites and add seamonkey. Entry shows up as Seamonkey Addressbook. Clean install of 4.3.1 Final, frugal, hard drive.
Okeeeeey, that's how you do it :) .........Now fixed for next release.

Thank you
Sigmund

zigbert

#119 Post by zigbert »

ejb wrote:Zigbert,

I was using ch4-alsa-streamtuner-3.sfs from choicepup 431. I started from scratch again. Reinstalled lupu500, pwidgets, dude-0.3 and added the sfs file via bootmanager. This time it worked perfectly. Obviously, I must have messed something up the first try. Sorry for the confusion.

Ed
I really appreciate that you give this feedback, instead of letting me in complete darkness hunting non-existing bugs.......

Sigmund

Jim1911

#120 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Hi Mick,

Thanks,
Jim, you can start the clock with whatever color

MicksClock black yellow
Thanks, I had already discovered that when I checked the corner settings, naturally, hours after my post.

I did run across a troubling problem. I tried to update the ppm and discovered that the program entries and pets installed were both blank. I continued and updated the ppm, closed, restarted same problem. So I unstalled DuDE (it was the only installation made after ppm was last used) by first deleting /root/.stardust and restartingX, checked ppm again and the installed pets showed up so I unstalled DuDE and rebooted. Updated ppm and windows came up properly. I then reinstalled DuDE and it and the ppm appear to be working properly. I hope that there was some other cause for the ppm problem because this could be a showstopper. Please don't spend any time on this unless it's reported again.

For me, DuDE is the best program for taking control of the desktop and menus that we've ever had available.

Thanks,
Jim

ejb

#121 Post by ejb »

zigbert wrote:
ejb wrote:Zigbert,

Ed
I really appreciate that you give this feedback, instead of letting me in complete darkness hunting non-existing bugs.......

Sigmund
Zigbert,

I went back and reconstructed this issue again. I was using SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4 to load the alsa-streamtuner sfs file. That results in the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications being a symlink to the sfs file. When I did this with dude-0.21, the applications still ended up in /usr/share/stardust/bin/ as expected. With dude-0.3 they do not. The updated fixmenus in dude-0.3 does not seem to like the symlinked .desktop files.

I'm not sure if this is a dude or a sfs_linker problem. Hopefully, this helps.

Thanks,
Ed

Jim1911

#122 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi zigbert,

I'm having the same problem with sfs not showing up in the default location using DuDE-0.3 when trying to edit favorites. This is in a fresh frugal installation of quirky-1.1. The desktop files of the offenders are below:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/openofficeorg3-writer.png
Comment=OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor
Exec=swriter
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WordProcessor
GenericName=OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox web browser
Icon=/usr/lib/firefox/icons/mozicon128.png
Comment=Firefox web browser
Exec=/usr/bin/firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=Firefox web browser
On the problem I mentioned in a previous post about ppm in Lucid-5.0, that was not with a fresh save file.

With a new frugal installation of lupu-5.0, ppm working flawlessly. DuDE was installed first, followed by additional applications. Most programs were recognized by DuDE, no problems with sfs file recognition as occurred in quirky. However, there were two problems with /usr/share/applications desktop files not being recognized.
1. thunderbird.desktop linked to /mnt/home/thunderbird/thunderbird
2. amarok.desktop located in /usr/share/applications/kde

So there is still a problem with files in sub-directories and with linked files. Executable programs that run under wine are recognized.

Cheers,
Jim

DaveS

#123 Post by DaveS »

This is REALLY nice. Adds pshutdown dialogue to favorites. I find I use it all the time

Here is what I added to /usr/sbin/fixmenus_favorites

<Program icon=\"shutdown24.png\" label=\"  Shutdown/Restart\">exec /usr/sbin/pshutdown</Program>
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#124 Post by Jim1911 »

Have you setup general settings under Edit Favorites? If you have a three button mouse, you can take advantage of all the settings. I use mouse-wheel Down to get the shutdown menu, then you have easy access to the whole menu, much better than just one item.

DaveS

#125 Post by DaveS »

Jim1911 wrote:Have you setup general settings under Edit Favorites? If you have a three button mouse, you can take advantage of all the settings. I use mouse-wheel Down to get the shutdown menu, then you have easy access to the whole menu, much better than just one item.
No just a laptop with a sketchy old touchpad and two buttons :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!