Which Puppie is light on resources in ext4?

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

Which Puppie is light on resources in ext4?

#1 Post by nooby »

the title are about
Frugal install on formatted HDD in Ext4 and not a full install with swap or on live DVD.

I got inspired by this text.
One of my pcs is ram challenged and so i decided i needed to carry a smaller Puppy distro for those situations.
But he doesn't want to point out which one that is and I don't want derail the thread about multi distro USB for him.

And besides this theme came up independently yesterday when I realized that many of my say 15 to 20 puppies on my HDD is very different to each others.

What I talk about is this one

I talk about when one read Daily News with much Ads like this one: Aftonbladet.se or when listen to live radio at sr.se or looking at streaming video from BBC CNN and such. TV
Last edited by nooby on Sat 13 Mar 2010, 12:37, edited 2 times in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

piteapup

svensk?

#2 Post by piteapup »

på english...puppy 431 will run fine on 256 ram..
the cpu usage depends on what u r doing....older pcs/lap(p2/3) run better on pup4.1.2 --i found...

Colonel Panic

#3 Post by Colonel Panic »

I run Puppy in 256 MB with no problems, but if you want a lighter Puppy there are two I know of; Turbo Extreme and PULP. I don't know which is lighter but both will run in 64 MB of RAM.

Ttuuxxx's Puppy Retro 2.14 will run in 128 MB, and maybe even less.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks for suggestions. I have to look into them then.

Typically of me to not think about what the figures referred to. The % in relation to the actual memory size.

so 28% on 500MB is not 28% on 3000MB on new computer.

I have two older compaqs. One with 250MB and one with 500MB.

Both crashed with Firefox doing streaming videos from

tv4play.se maybe they have copyright issues with other countries but Piteapup should be able to test.

Remember it should be on frugal install on Ext4 formatted HDD and not a full install or DVD.

I guess it also depends on what browsers and the plugins and and if one have wine and java and such and I have adbloc and simple mail and noscript and xmarks going so maybe such take huge resources to run.

Yes it depends on what one does.

so my question is a fair one.

linux 1. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 2. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 3. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 4. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 5. doing streaming radio or TV

and so on.

Same demands on all of them. Which then needs the less memory to do the work. Same conditions for everybody.

So sadly TurboPup xtreme was for puppy420 or something and ext4 seems to only work with puppy430 and newer?

It failed to boot the Turbopup while it do work on NTFS but not on ext4.

DMcCunney

#5 Post by DMcCunney »

nooby wrote:I have two older compaqs. One with 250MB and one with 500MB.

Both crashed with Firefox doing streaming videos from

tv4play.se maybe they have copyright issues with other countries but Piteapup should be able to test.

Remember it should be on frugal install on Ext4 formatted HDD and not a full install or DVD.
Assume ext4 has nothing to do with it. It provides possible disk I/O performance in a full install. I'd expect performance benefits using a Frugal install to be less noticeable.

Also assume copyright restrictions have nothing to do with it. Rights restrictions are implemented using geolocation. The server knows where you are coming from by your IP address. If you don't have permission to view certain content in your area, you should simply see a notice that you aren't allowed to view the content. (I see that here from YouTube and bbc.uk for some video) It won't cause your browser to crash.
I guess it also depends on what browsers and the plugins and and if one have wine and java and such and I have adbloc and simple mail and noscript and xmarks going so maybe such take huge resources to run.
You can disable those in Addons Manager, restart the browser, and see.
Yes it depends on what one does.

so my question is a fair one.

linux 1. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 2. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 3. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 4. doing streaming radio or TV
linux 5. doing streaming radio or TV

and so on.

Same demands on all of them. Which then needs the less memory to do the work. Same conditions for everybody.
Maybe you can't do streaming Internet TV in Puppy.

I run Puppy 4.31 in a Full install on an Ext4 filesystem created in an 8GB partition of a 40GB UDMA 4 HD. The machine has an 867mhz CPU and 256MB of RAM, and an ATI Rage Mobility graphics chip with 8MB video RAM. Puppy itself runs fine. Large applications like Firefox 3.6 or Open Office are slow to load (like 30 to 45 seconds) but perform acceptably once up.

My Puppy box connects at home via a CAT5 cable to my router, using ndiswrapper to load the manufacturer's Windows driver for the ethernet port. I have a 10mbit/sec broadband cable connection, with bandwidth to spare.

I don't even try to do streaming video. I've experimented with Flash based video in Firefox, and YouTube's beta HTML5 support in Google Chrome. I get about 3 FPS, and see a series of still pictures, not smooth video. I would expect to see similar behavior in a Frugal install. The limiting factors are RAM, CPU speed, and network connection, not the file system.

I've seen suggestions elsewhere to use something like a Firefox addon to download the YouTube video file to my hard drive and view it locally. That might work, but I can't be bothered. If I'm at home, I'd much rather watch videos on my desktop on the 19" monitor in 1600x1200 resolution than on the 1280x768 screen on the old Puppy notebook. If I'm traveling and using wifi to connect, my interest is checking email and occasional surfing. I'm unlikely to have the time or inclination to watch video. I have other things to do.

I simply assume the Puppy box doesn't have the power to do the job, and adjust my expectations accordingly. I don't really care that I can't watch video in Puppy. That's not what I expected to use it for, and I have other options for doing that.
______
Dennis

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

thanks, but that is not what the thread are about.

One could still list which puppy or other linuxes one have experience of being good at doing demanding jobs like streaming video on only 245MB or 500mb.

I want example of puppy or other linux that can do what I asked for. Preferably out of the box or easy to add plug ins that allow them to do it.

I trust that the reason for Turbopup did not work is that it is an older version. Ext4 read and write most likely need puppy431 or similar.

Sure I can try to reformat the drive to be ext3 instead but every body do talk about ext4 as the future version to use.

so I stick with that until it I fail to find something that works.

DMcCunney

#7 Post by DMcCunney »

nooby wrote:thanks, but that is not what the thread are about.
I responded to what you asked.
One could still list which puppy or other linuxes one have experience of being good at doing demanding jobs like streaming video on only 245MB or 500mb.

I want example of puppy or other linux that can do what I asked for. Preferably out of the box or easy to add plug ins that allow them to do it.

I trust that the reason for Turbopup did not work is that it is an older version. Ext4 read and write most likely need puppy431 or similar.

Sure I can try to reformat the drive to be ext3 instead but every body do talk about ext4 as the future version to use.
Please reread what I wrote.

I stated ext4 had nothing to do with whether you could successfully view streaming video. If it can't be done in ext4, reformatting as ext3 won't help you. The constraints aren't in the file system you use.

You complain that it's not what the thread was about when you don't get the answer you want to hear.

Maybe there isn't an answer you want to hear.
so I stick with that until it I fail to find something that works.
Which is what I strongly suspect will happen. I can't say for sure, because I don't have a 500MB RAM machine handy to test Puppy on, but I doubt you can do what you want. (I'd be happy to be wrong about that, but I don't think I am.)

The question is how much time you'll spend before you conclude you can't do it.

You might do better to ask who has successfully viewed streaming video in Puppy, and what hardware, Puppy version, and browser/plugins they used. That will give you a baseline for what is required. I think the minimum requirements will turn out to be "more than you have".

I don't get browser crashes here when I attempt to view video - I just get performance so poor it isn't worth the bother. I don't consider that "successful".
______
Dennis

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

I trust it is a combination of my confused thinging and my poor english that mislead you badly.

I maybe fail to find the words but my intention was correct.

The readin that Turbopup dont\ work on my ext4 most likely has to do with the kernel or something else not have code for working on ext4.

I remember it too vaguely but maybe Barry actually have mention it too somewhere.

So that is why it is important to have the requirement to be able to work on ext4.

Turbopup works very good on my NTFS hdd but fail to boot on my ext4

That was what I wanted to say. Not that I trust it to be understood this time either.

but I did my best.

But your suggestion on how to ask the question was a very good one.

I take that one under consideration and maybe change the first post and the tile to reflect that approach. So thanks indeed.

So to answer your own question. Which puppy or other linux works on 500mb with heavy usage of streaming things.

I remember way back in 2007 I used puppy 4.0 and it hacked or chopped youtube badly with 500mb so I managed to get it up to 1.5GB and that was better.

rjbrewer

#9 Post by rjbrewer »

The ram has little to do with streaming video.

A faster processor is needed.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

P4 2800 or 3200MHz don\t remember just now. That is fast in my life ?

But it has to do with 500MB too if it all crash due to overloading memory?

Or when is memory important. I mean why do they say that 1Gb is too small to do anything else than the limited win7 starter for small Atom Notebooks like my small Acer D250

smokey01

#11 Post by smokey01 »

Do you have a Linux Swap Partition?

rjbrewer

#12 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:P4 2800 or 3200MHz don\t remember just now. That is fast in my life ?

But it has to do with 500MB too if it all crash due to overloading memory?

Or when is memory important. I mean why do they say that 1Gb is too small to do anything else than the limited win7 starter for small Atom Notebooks like my small Acer D250

If you're using P4 computers they'll take more then 500mb mem.

Buy some.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

smokey01 wrote:Do you have a Linux Swap Partition?
Yes I have one in ext4. Linux Mint made it when it installed itself from the DVD with Mint KDE CE distro.

But it was very small. just 450mb or something. I got very surprised.

Do you think it is enough for puppy431?

It does say it has mounted it when it booted.

But it doesn't get triggered. The cpu gets hot and the fan is working like mad and the noise is almost unbearable. :)

Wish one could find more efficient ways to do streaming audio and video.

okay guys late at night now and have to go to bed and will travel almost the whole day tomorrow so I will be silent for a time to everybody's benefit.

Good night.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#14 Post by Béèm »

nooby wrote:The cpu gets hot and the fan is working like mad and the noise is almost unbearable
You have a problem with the fan. Change it.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

DMcCunney

#15 Post by DMcCunney »

nooby wrote:The readin that Turbopup dont\ work on my ext4 most likely has to do with the kernel or something else not have code for working on ext4.

I remember it too vaguely but maybe Barry actually have mention it too somewhere.

So that is why it is important to have the requirement to be able to work on ext4.

Turbopup works very good on my NTFS hdd but fail to boot on my ext4

That was what I wanted to say. Not that I trust it to be understood this time either.
To use ext4, you must be running the 4.31 kernel. Earlier kernel versions do not have ext4 support, and cannot use an ext4 partition.

I don't know what kernel version Turbopup uses, but it sounds like it's not 4.31. If you must use ext4, you can't use Turbopup.

Meanwhile, 4.31 runs fine in 256MB, but as mentioned, video performance is poor enough that I don't try to do it.
______
Dennis

piteapup

#16 Post by piteapup »

get the links to the videos u wanna see & try in vlc or media player. vlc works fine for me 1ghz laptop+512mb ram-8 year old toshiba...or try browserlinux.com