Puppy Stardust 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jpeps

#61 Post by jpeps »

DC wrote:Hi Zigbert,

Sad for the pause in Puppy Stardust project but I can appreciate why.

One of the main reasons I enjoyed your puplets was the inclusion of bug fixes all in one place. And the fact that some bug fixes don't always work when you try to do them yourself.

Thanks for the Star in the dust

DC
Agreed.....interfaces vary, so widgets, drives, etc, don't work the same across various derivatives. Derivatives that use Startdust, like 4.4CE, don't bother to update it...also requires some modifications (drives, etc.).
It's easy to waste a few hours getting a familiar setup....

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

Stardust introduced a new way of working, namely the Favorites option. All Pups going forward should have this. It is so intuitive and quick to use.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

`f00

#63 Post by `f00 »

"star in the dust"

poetic (to borrow from another musical ref, '.. diamonds on the soles of their shoes .." :) or demi-relative ©'the pause that refreshes') .. the 'dust gtks are a big favorite of mine (even if I deCapitate'em :lol: generally I try to avoid some things if not strictly necessary but the simple sometimes s2pids me 8). If nothing else, the Project showed the way to an excellent development model!

.. take the high orbit, Rocketman
".. all the little crinkly bits, those were my idea too" - Slaartibartfasst from HHGttG

abushcrafter

#64 Post by abushcrafter »

[BUG] Xnview Has Font Error.
I guess it was one of those fonts you fixed Xnview does not like.

Code: Select all

# xnview 
** XnView v1.70 Copyright 1991-2005 Pierre-E Gougelet (Sep  6 2005/15:28:24) **
        Version for Linux x86/Motif (All rights reserved)
** This is freeware software (for non commercial use)

<Window (without the file browser set to show) loads but then crashes when you try to open a dialogue like the file browser or options for example>

Type xnview -help, for more information
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  471
  Current serial number in output stream:  623
[BUG] The icons for glade's are palette are missing. I guess you deleted them?
[WORKAROUND] View>Palette Appearance>Text only

mawebb88

Stardust 013 is now my prefered Puppy

#65 Post by mawebb88 »

I've settled on Stardust 013 as my preferred Puppy. Now have it on both my EeePC901 netbook and my Acer Aspire 5100 laptop.

Many thanks Zigbert for your excellent work.

For your info these are the main tweaks I have made:

WINE installed (SFS) on both with IrfanView, Photofitre and FastStone viewer. Unfortunately nothing in the Linux world competes with these excellent free Graphics apps IMHO.

OpenOffice(cutdown version) SFS and JRE SFS

FireFox 3.6 pets (+updates to 3.62)

Full Samba pet (Not sure why this is not a default in all Puppy's?)

Pnethood pet with the latest BK hack like in 431 to get CIFs working properly (the lame alternative does not work for me)

On the Acer I had to use Ndis for my WPA WiFi. I also had to disable pwireless2 and use my own script to get a stable connection on booting

On the Eee I installed all the specials for the Eee/kernel combination.

Also on the Eee I had to hack the initrd to force PUPMODE=13 to save wear an tear on my SSD's.

Rgds Mike

Many thanks

technosaurus

#66 Post by technosaurus »

@Zigbert: here is the final version of notecase compiled without the gtksourceview dependency (the last program you have that required gtksourceview)... I also compiled it with the system libz.so (vs. the default internal libz.a) so it is about 300kb smaller... gtksourceview is over 1MB
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#67 Post by zigbert »

abushcrafter wrote:[BUG] The icons for glade's are palette are missing. I guess you deleted them?
I don't think I have removed it.

Sigmund

zigbert

#68 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus wrote:@Zigbert: here is the final version of notecase compiled without the gtksourceview dependency (the last program you have that required gtksourceview)... I also compiled it with the system libz.so (vs. the default internal libz.a) so it is about 300kb smaller... gtksourceview is over 1MB
Stardust 013 contains a notecase pack by ttuuxxx without gtksourceview

Sigmund

abushcrafter

#69 Post by abushcrafter »

[BUG] In PCC the options to make some apps like geany lighter or darker coloured don't work.

zigbert

#70 Post by zigbert »

abushcrafter wrote:[BUG] In PCC the options to make some apps like geany lighter or darker coloured don't work.
Thank you

dalderton

#71 Post by dalderton »

Zigbert. Strange thing happened ,The icons have disappeared from /usr/share/stardust/bin I have no idea why but they also have gone from two earlier versions on the same hard disk. They are all full installs to the hard disk on different partitions.Also if it load the live CD and attempt to copy the bin folder from it to the mounted hard disk install /usr/share/stardust folder when I open it the icons are not there. It all still works OK as the names and the basic single icon is there but the individual icons are gone.
It is probably something simple but it is beyond me.
Regards Dennis.

gawth_slacker

Stardust BB posibilities in the future?

#72 Post by gawth_slacker »

I really like Stardust Puppy LInux. I love that it automatically detects and configures the network settings, the ease of adding new desktop icons and configuring the panel. I am still learning how to make changes that burn into a new remastered live CD, like ROX filer settings such as double click instead of single click, show previews, and no auto resizing of the window. I have also learned how to change the default Seamonkey from 'default' user to "Default User" so as to be able to add quick launch pages to my personal tool bar, which you can not with 'default' as your default, along with my own personal default bookmarks layout my way.

But I would like to see a bare bones Stardust Puppy Linux that would allow me to add my own extra apps with out the default apps hogging all the space, but keeping the tweaks that make Stardust stand out from regular Puppy Linux. Any chance of that happening?

Also, with my remastered CD burns, I notice that the Desktop Drive Icons slip lower on the desktop and the text/label slips under the bottom panel. Any Idea how this happens and how it might be fixed for future remastered CDs ?

BTW, Startdust is an amazing advancement for Puppy Linux. Thanks for the contribution, it is well appreciated !!!

Gawth_Slacker

abushcrafter

Re: Stardust BB posibilities in the future?

#73 Post by abushcrafter »

gawth_slacker wrote:But I would like to see a bare bones Stardust Puppy Linux that would allow me to add my own extra apps with out the default apps hogging all the space, but keeping the tweaks that make Stardust stand out from regular Puppy Linux. Any chance of that happening?
Yes please. I have been striping a few apps but a version where is already done would be very useful. As it would solve my problem of not knowing which libs can be removed. Perhaps the easiest way to do this is use a bear bones 4.3.2 and use DUDE or Startdust_pwidgets.tar.gz, StardustDE.tar.gz, Stardust_build_script.tar.gz that zigbert has proved on this thread.

omskates

Re: Stardust BB posibilities in the future?

#74 Post by omskates »

gawth_slacker wrote:I really like Stardust Puppy LInux. I love that it automatically detects and configures the network settings, the ease of adding new desktop icons and configuring the panel...............

........BTW, Startdust is an amazing advancement for Puppy Linux. Thanks for the contribution, it is well appreciated !!!Gawth_Slacker
I have to agree, the innovations in Stardust such as control panel, easy networking wireless with panel applet, configuration etc. makes it an extraordinary newbie friendly desktop. I sent a few different puplets to my sister (as I couldn't even seem to get her over the fear of downloading & burning puppy for herself :wink: and of those she was thrilled with Stardust. Bringing new life to her very old laptop and she is also running it on an older PC in her University lab. I feel very comfortable using Stardust for Windows crossover users as it just seems to clear those obstacles that tend to stump the newbies initially.

I'd love to see a browser choice at install in the future as well.

Thanks so much!! :D

mauri

#75 Post by mauri »

... thanks a lot for this very nice version of puppy,
easy to handle menues,
the look is great, and it runs fast,

i have installed on my oldie pc.

mauri

zigbert

#76 Post by zigbert »

mauri
You might find this release a bit old when it comes to codecs, flash....
Be aware that the improved desktop in Puppy Stardust can be installed on the latest Puppies as well. Both Puppy 5.2 and Puppy Wary 5.0 works well with the Stardust Desktop Environment

Sigmund