Puppy Stardust 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jpeps

#31 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote:
jpeps wrote:Any admin changes that effect pup_save files get placed in a /etc/skel folder which can get copied (eg, to $HOME) and thus saved. Then, just note changed files for updates.
I thought easy upgrade was the main target for the idea of pup_save. - Save your pup_save file, and all personal additions are stored??? Why store things elsewhere?
Sigmund
Maybe I'm getting confused.....To update, I have to use pfix=ram, so can't use my old pup_save, and instead start from scratch building a new one. Am I missing something here?

If changed environmental/config files were placed in /etc/skel, the user could boot with the old pup_save, and simply copy over altered files without starting from scratch....no pfix=ram. Reboot and all is well.
At least I think that's how it works. :)

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

May have been mentioned before: something is wrong with the USB install (install created via Universal Installer), reports 431.sfs not found. Used initrd.gz and vmlinuz from generic 4.3 to fix it. Probably initrd.gz error?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bigpup

Retrovol on desktop

#33 Post by bigpup »

Zigbert wrote:
bigpup wrote:
One small bug to report:
At start-up the Retrovol settings window is open on desktop..
Is this a fresh install or any kind of upgrade?
This is a fresh, full hard drive install of Stardust 013, made with 01micko's pup_stardust-012.iso___pup_stardust-013.iso.delta update to Stardust 012.

One thing not sure about. When I did the delta update to Stardust 012, it made a new file called new file.iso I had to rename it to Stardust 013.iso

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

Bigpup

That is a known issue with the older version of Xdelta, instructions are linked to in my signature. :wink:

(easiest way is to rename .delta file BEFORE using.. if you have old delta with ":" replace "___" with ":")
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

trio

#35 Post by trio »

Ziggy,

You might want to implement this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53493

sinc

#36 Post by sinc »

bigpup wrote:
One small bug to report:

same situation here with a fresh frugal install. on bootup retroval was open under the setup screen

zigbert

#37 Post by zigbert »

jpeps wrote:Maybe I'm getting confused.....To update, I have to use pfix=ram
pup-431 in Stardust 013 may be changed to future pup-431 files without pfix=ram.

Sigmund

zigbert

#38 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:May have been mentioned before: something is wrong with the USB install (install created via Universal Installer), reports 431.sfs not found. Used initrd.gz and vmlinuz from generic 4.3 to fix it. Probably initrd.gz error?
I see......initrd.gz is grabbed from jrb's special edition of Puppy 4.3.1to support newer broadcom wifi-chips. If you like to dive into this, it would be great if you'd tested this iso, just to see if usb-install works here. I think the problem only occurs when installing to a vfat partition. I have Stardust on my pen (ext2), and it works just fine.

Sigmund

zigbert

#39 Post by zigbert »

trio wrote:Ziggy,

You might want to implement this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53493
Hmmm

zigbert

#40 Post by zigbert »

sinc wrote:bigpup wrote:
One small bug to report:

same situation here with a fresh frugal install. on bootup retroval was open under the setup screen
Added to bug-list

Sigmund

DaveS

#41 Post by DaveS »

zigbert wrote:
DaveS wrote:May have been mentioned before: something is wrong with the USB install (install created via Universal Installer), reports 431.sfs not found. Used initrd.gz and vmlinuz from generic 4.3 to fix it. Probably initrd.gz error?
I see......initrd.gz is grabbed from jrb's special edition of Puppy 4.3.1to support newer broadcom wifi-chips. If you like to dive into this, it would be great if you'd tested this iso, just to see if usb-install works here. I think the problem only occurs when installing to a vfat partition. I have Stardust on my pen (ext2), and it works just fine.

Sigmund
Negative. Installed to ext2 usb, NOT vfat
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jpeps

#42 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote:
jpeps wrote:Maybe I'm getting confused.....To update, I have to use pfix=ram
pup-431 in Stardust 013 may be changed to future pup-431 files without pfix=ram.
Sigmund
So we can trust that there will never be any new config/environment files that get updated and overwritten by pup_save files?

bigpup

Xdelta

#43 Post by bigpup »

bigpup wrote:
One thing not sure about. When I did the delta update to Stardust 012, it made a new file called new file.iso I had to rename it to Stardust 013.iso
01micko wrote:
That is a known issue with the older version of Xdelta, instructions are linked to in my signature. Wink

(easiest way is to rename .delta file BEFORE using.. if you have old delta with ":" replace "___" with ":")
So Stardust 013, 012 have the old version of Xdelta program?

zigbert

#44 Post by zigbert »

jpeps wrote:So we can trust that there will never be any new config/environment files that get updated and overwritten by pup_save files?
You can never trust a home brewed os. :wink:

Stardust will only get small updates from now on. We should focus on Puppy 4.4. - so, yes. - I think it will be ok to replace pup-431 in future update. Anyway, - I have no intentions to make myself a os-manager. - I think we have enough derivates.

Sigmund

zigbert

#45 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:
zigbert wrote:

Sigmund
Negative. Installed to ext2 usb, NOT vfat
Please give a note to jrb

Thank you!
Sigmund

trio

#46 Post by trio »

Ziggy,

dir2pet is faulty, see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 159#402159

Cheers

`f00

#47 Post by `f00 »

___firstlook (pfix=ram,usw)___
Stretched images look not-so-good in Xvesa at start (very blocky gradation at lower color depth, but it's quicker than messing with Xorg for a throwaway 1stlook), then settle in .. 'lost' the special intro :| since I was getting Xvesa confirmed for preferred display res. Black geany .. (oh well, there's maybe a half-dozen pets that I'd dump in without even thinking - xfe+, leafpad or zedit and htop immediately; a 'box wm and medit .. likely an alternative browser). :lol: , 'forgot' about notecase (doh!), and I don't even have to know what a node is (gee, hit the `<key> and instant console, just like I've heard it's supposed to be.. :) ) full-size screenie 135k It'll be nice when geany's less painful to try and read with (inverted can be useful, just not my choice for a default).

Retrovol .. not real enthused (ui not obvious, r-click gives *way* too many sliders on my card, file->configure seems still to kill it rather than bring up any config ui :| ).

Are local docs 'broken' (somewhat of an issue/feature since p421 in official releases and most derivatives, afaict .. more in this thread ) or is it more of a individual per-app-as-maintained thing? Rox and mtpaint are a few exceptions to the google/linux.die.net 'feature' that often happens with some 'help' ui :|

Although PCC is a core feature of Stardust DE, it may be a bit odd to get used to. Little things like reloading jwm are not easy to find (nevermind the following - when I finally felt like it I found the alt+F1->Leave, Shutdown/ change.. dialogue box which is actually pretty darn unambiguous once you find it .. I'm far too used to using plogout instead(; ) (example - when I set for sloppy focus, it didn't take effect until I reset tray management .. hardly intuitive) or the Environment->Dark/Bright buttons (radio button would seem more logical/positive if a reset is needed before result is apparent .. I miss gtk chtheme already, but glomming stuff into a 'global' icons/gtk/jwm/widgetstyles seems like it should work in a fairly limited setup - maintaining a Grand Unified Control Center Interface is probably more suited for custom installations and tailors with too much chalk and pins). Popup tips would help the Services tab, imo.

pmount ui (tabview, optical drives/media) glitch Image

prehistoric

testimonial

#48 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

Your Stardust 013 saved the day in a bad situation. I had a (unofficial) "service call" to rescue a Windoze XP system which was in bad shape. When I got there my first couple of tools wouldn't work. I ended up using my super multi-boot floppy to boot into Stardust 013. This worked, except for a known problem with Xorg and SiS video, I booted a second time and used Vesa.

After that I was able to get on-line, look at file systems, test devices, and use F-prot, which had not worked properly from the stock 4.3.1. This scanned the suspect system and turned up a number of nasty little pieces of malware which had prevented doing anything useful under Windoze. There were problems with the scan, but the improvement was enough to get me to the point where I could use the XP system to run other repair tools.

The contrast between the minutes spent installing Puppy and hours spent fighting with Windoze made a significant impression on people.

puppystar

Install Stardust 013

#49 Post by puppystar »

Hello Zigbert!
My friend, I already have a puppy installed on my machine, but would like to install the 013 stardust doing dual boot. the friend could help me with this orientation?
I would be very grateful.
A big hug and good work!

davids45

#50 Post by davids45 »

G'day zigbert,

Last night I tried Startdust 013 (delta-ed up from 012) and have a couple of minor comments:

drive icons (my computer has about 30 partitions/drives) still do not align nicely across the bottom of the monitor in two rows.

the CUPS version does not allow the user to select their own PPD file - please try Patriot's CUPS 1.3.11 pet which worked for me with my new colour laser once I had installed it over the Stardust 013 version - I can now print Ocad maps directly from wine/Puppy :D !

I use desk-top computers so want the numlock key on - is there some way to add this option to the Control Panel under "keyboard"? Users with small laptops want it off, so choosing which should be a simple-to-find start-up option.

Widgets - I have dual core desk tops so have to modify the cpu-bar widget to show both processors, and I also add the RAM bar to this widget config file for simplicity. Any way for the CPU widget to display multi-CPUs by default or by it checking what is in the computer?

Very impressed with 013 as usual.

David S.