Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
K-9 WBAR Pwidgets and other quirks
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
anradan

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010, 03:58    Post_subject:  K-9 WBAR Pwidgets and other quirks
Sub_title: How to move the WBAR and Pwidgets

I have K-9 installed on a flash drive with unetbootin....Nvidia drivers installed....tv out dual screen xinerama ! ....Love this puplet from day one (6 months ago)...Have it installed natively on a second hard drive too...
By the way grub wont install...you need to install another linux and it will find K-9 and add it to the grub menu...Shows up as unidentified Linux instalation.
Problem is with the WBAR ....Can it be moved? With Xinerama activated....the wbar is on the right side of the main monitor, with the last icon (setup wizard) showing on the TV.
Also, the Pwidgets are on the right side of the TV....Can they be moved?....The analoge clocks will not show up untill the moment of restart/logout for just a split second. I actually used an analoge clock above the calender for an invisible spacer to get the calender to move down from the very top of the screen, so they are of some use Smile
I cant wait for the next K-9...hope it still has the same "darkish" theme, with all the quirks and such fixed...I Love it !
WarMocK

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010, 06:22    Post_subject:  

Howdy-Ho anradan,
first of all: thank you for giving K-9 a try, I'm glad you like my puplet. ^^
As for your problems: I used NOP 4.13-r1 for generating K-9 up to version Beta1, which had a broken grub installer. The newest version (Beta3) is based upon Puppy Linux 4.31 and was built with Woof, it should have a fixed version.
In order to change the wbar position, go to /usr/sbin. The program you are looking for is "startewbar". Open it with mousepad and change "-pos top" to "-pos top-left". Save the file, log-out of the session, log in again, and the bar should have moved to the top-left of your screen. Other choices would be top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right, bottom, left or right (I wouldn't reccomend the last two, though, as they cut down the info text for the icons).
PWidgets has proven to be quite a pest in the past, which is why I removed it completely from Beta3. But don't worry, I found a good substitute for it, which I am going to offer soon as a separate SFS file: Screenlets 0.1.2. All you need to do is adding it to the bootup list with the sys boot manager, and you will have full access to some REAL eye candy. Wink

Last but not least: Look here to get K-9 Linux Beta 3, with a ton of new tools, many bugfixes, the (almost complete) setup toolchain I created to get your system up and running the first time you boot, AND a few of the tools that will form the base for the upcoming Beta 4. Enjoy!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45382
anradan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 04:26    Post_subject: New K-9 ! Downloading it now.
Sub_title: I was waiting for this.

Thanks for the quick response John.....and the NEW K-9 ISO!..But now I have another question ...Does this K-9 have a different kernal than the last...Will I need to use/find another Nvidia driver that will work?
Oh ya almost forgot ....I watch movies (.avi) on my tv with Xfmedia....both screens go black after 10 mins......I disabled the powermiser in the Nvidia settings....and the screen saver of K-9...still blacks out during movie.....I watch all my tv shows from downloaded files, so its an important to me to fix this issue.....but I would still like the black out/screen saver working when I leave my computer.
Going now to try the new K-9 B3.....Download complete.
WarMocK

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 06:58    Post_subject:  

K-9 Beta 3 uses Kernel is 2.6.31 with SMP, the newest kernel available for Puppy Linux. You will need the newer NVIDIA drivers. IIRC there was a tool to block the screen from going black, so I'd suggest you search the forums for it (good idea, btw. That actually is something I could add to the iso in Beta4).
As for multimedia: I have stripped out most media support as I wanted to keep K-9 a basic core system, and if you put it onto an office-PC, you probably won't need any multimedia support at all. Of course, there are several options to solve this "issue": Wink
If you are using VLC I can offer you the first expansion module I've made so far, K-9 Mediapack VLC-Edition, which incorporates both VLC and the necessary dependencies (including the matching ffmpeg and xine-lib versions).
If you use another player I can offer you to generate an SFS file which includes them.
If you want to use your player right away, the dotpets you need are:
a52dec-0.7.4.pet
a52dec_DEV-0.7.4.pet
faac-1.26-i486.pet
faac_DEV-1.26-i486.pet
faad2-2.6.1-i486.pet
faad2_DEV-2.6.1-i486.pet
ffmpeg-20071007-1.pet
ffmpeg_DEV-20071007-1.pet
flac-1.2.1.pet
flashplayer-9.0.152.0.pet
mplayer_codecs_basic-20071007.pet
xine-lib-1.1.8.pet
xine-lib_DEV-1.1.8.pet
anradan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 14:38    Post_subject: K-9 beta 3
Sub_title: Changes in direction

Makes me sad to hear you are moving K-9 away from multimedia.
I have been "playing" with different linux flavors since 2003....Always something that didnt work....most often sound , network connection and ntfs access. When i found puppy approx 3 years ago...I thought it a quaint limited OS....But last year when I stumbled upon Pupplets through Pendrive Linux....I was taken aback....WOW!
K-9 beta 1 is my most prized find of all linux's to date......Everything worked "OOTB"....even Samba shares! ( I have a 3 comp home network)...The forums and community support are top notch....People use Puppy. Google your question and its there in the top 3 responses.
I can even watch You Tube video! ....Dual screen...TV out ...Xinerama.....Now if only I could have a webcam working, I'd be perfect.
Could I use the new Wbar from beta 3 in beta 1 (kidding). If only I knew how to make my own customised pupplet....Puppy is sooo fast and responsive. I bet I'd be great for multi track recording (I am a guitar player), or movie making.
I guess if you are trying to make a generic customisable office OS where things are familiar and easy to use, you're just about there.....I thought I'd found a linux flavor I could stick with.....But alas, changing kernals changing apps...I got to move on.
WarMocK

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 15:19    Post_subject:  

Well, nothing stops me from reintegrating the necessary libs again, you know ... Wink
In fact, I think I actually NEED to reintegrate some of them in order to avoid package conflicts, as I' m one of the few people who know what version fits to which system.
And come to think of it: the necessary libs do not occupy THAT much space.

TODO for Beta 4: add the most important and troublesome multimedia libs into the core system again.
Once installed, you can use XFmedia again, like you did in Beta 1. Very Happy
anradan

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar 2010, 17:24    Post_subject: K-9 Beta 1 vs Beta 2  

You rock! lol.......When do you find the time?
WarMocK

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar 2010, 19:49    Post_subject:  

Erm ... uhm ... how about ...

NOW! Very Happy

K-9 Linux Beta 4

- CLInet updated to version 0.6
- Added ffmpeg, xine-lib, mplayer-codecs-basic, and flash support. Just add the mediaplayer of your choice.
- Fixed some minor bugs
- Added SFS-Linker to mount SFS files on the fly
- Introducing: SFScommander (early stage), which allows you to manage and edit sfs containers
trio

PostPosted: Tue 16 Mar 2010, 03:28    Post_subject:  

For wbar easy configuration, you might want to use wbarcc (my sig below)
WarMocK

PostPosted: Tue 16 Mar 2010, 19:18    Post_subject:  

I'll have a look at it. thank you for the tip, trio. Very Happy
yarddog

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar 2010, 15:42    Post_subject:  

Just checked out your distro - looks good
have a dumb question?
at desktop, menu, internet
how is the TinyCore SFS repository entry used with your distro?

thanks, yarddog
WarMocK

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar 2010, 16:20    Post_subject:  

@yarddog: That's a tool installed by the SFS-Linker package.
I added it to K-9 because I want to make it a modular operating system that is able to "mount" programs instead of installing them. TinyCore follows a similar path, and SFS-Linker is able to load both standard SFS files and TCZ files on the fly. When you downloaded a TCZ, you can right-click on it and select "load/unload module ..." to mount the file and use it's content as if they were installed.
Think of the whole system like "Portable Apps". Wink
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum