Puppy smartphone

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
gabreal2k

Puppy smartphone

#1 Post by gabreal2k »

Hi all, I have been using puppy linux lightly for 6 months now. In that 6 months I have really grown to appreciate it immensly.

Puppy is a very small, fast, light, and most importantly COMPLETE operating system.

Recently I purchased the HTC Hero smartphone with Android, and while setting it up and "discovering" Androids full potential, started to think about Puppy.

So... I would like to start this thread as a place for everyone to discuss the feasability of porting puppy linux to a device like the HTC Hero smartphone.

This thread might spark some ideas or interests, or maybe not.

But I think it would be cool as hell if the puppy linux community could boast a successful porting and the worlds first puppy phone (take that Windows Mobile).

The best part would be all the cliche dog sounds for notifications, and the wimpers for low battery etc. Not to mention we could have little puppies running around for an active wallpaper.

Android is linux, so I dont see why a light OS like puppy wouldn't work outside of touchscreen drivers and telephony support.

Either way I'm making this thread just to put an idea out there, but also trying to be realistic.

In the mean time lets just allow our imaginations to run wild and, most importantly, have fun with it.

jpeps

#2 Post by jpeps »

I think they'll be a place for loading your own OS. That said, the choice of apps available for an iphone or ipod touch is quite amazing, and I think that will be the winning factor. Want to do professional concert tunings? Okay, 6 second download (TuneLab...$299)...works perfectly. Want to dictate in appointments? Okay, Dragon dictation, free. Paste into your choice of calendar apps. Want to continue reading that ebook from your kindle on your iphone/ipod touch? Hit the kindle app, which syncs to your other device and will take you to the same page.

Although possible to load one's own distro, it may be difficult to compete with the direction of development that has already evolved...at least regarding software.

battleshooter

#3 Post by battleshooter »

Still... I've always thought it could be a fun idea. With the phones from 2005ish being around 200mhz and the 2007s being around 400mhz, these fancy phones certainly have the CPU grunt power needed for Puppy. RAM might be an issue though.

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

gabreal2k

#4 Post by gabreal2k »

Yes the app driven platforms are going to be winners for sure.

But, eventually tthe day may come when people want the apps and the connectivity and won't accept a compromise on either front.

When/if that day occurs, then utilising a full OS will be the only way to go.

Since osx is essentially linux, and ALOT of servers are running *NIX, the most seemless way to have apps/integration/connectivity with ALL infrastructures will be to just run ubuntu or puppy or, by then, a full blown unnamed linux os on the device.

Hopefully batteries wont be small scale nuclear reactors by then :D .

In the mean time a prototype smartphone with puppy linux dressed up to look/act like an LCARS device would make more than a few people stand up and take notice...lol

by the fact that the entire Linux community is ALWAYS trying to get people turned onto Linux,

and yet not one person/group has ever taken a standard distro and dressed it up to look/act like LCARS.

Doing so would make every trekker green with lust. It wouldn't have to be an over the top thing.

In fact just taking a minimalist LCARS approach would be tremendously eye catching.

Maybe I should upload a picture to underscore what I'm talking about, since I don't do such a good job at explaining what I mean.

Anyway a smartphone running a customised puppy desktop would be kewl:

"Puppy" "text" "john smith" "mobile" "body" "we still on for the game tonight" "send".....Ruff Ruff (message sent) or GRRR (message failed)...lol