Grafpup unleashed

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Grafpup unleashed

#1 Post by Lobster »

Nathan he say:
I've got about 8 to 10 new packages that will need a home soon, however.

Tuxpaint-0.19.5
Gimp-2.2.10
Gimp-2.3.6
Wine-0.9.5
Ufraw-0.6
Inkscape-0.43 and dependencies GTKmm, Aspell, GTKspell
updated OpenEXR, LCMS, FLTK, SDL
You can find them here (have emailed Barry about them)
http://dotpups.de/grafpup/unleashed_packages/

OK I am going through them
(please help - you can install using pupget and install alien package)

Started with Gimp - got this . . .
/usr/local/gimp23/bin/
GLib version too old (micro mismatch)

GIMP requires GLib version 2.8.0 or later.
Installed GLib version is 2.6.1.

Somehow you or your software packager managed
to install GIMP with an older GLib version.

Please upgrade to GLib version 2.8.0 or later.
Will Glib version 2.8.0 or later
be in 1.0.8 Puppy "Singer"?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks Lobster.

I actually just uploaded the current 'stable' release of Gimp. The version you tried is the current development snapshot, which requires an updated glib. I can provide a package for it but for most users I recommend the stable branch anyway.

There is one catch to the packages for Gimp and Cinepaint if you want to run them in Puppy. You will have to add /usr/local/lib to your PATH. You can do this by editing /etc/profile.

I'm working on making most of these easier to install in Puppy, but there are some differences between Grafpup and Puppy (like the library PATH). I think that the Gimp and Cinepaint packages are the only ones with this little catch. Some of these programs have dependencies that aren't in Puppy by default but they are either readily available via Pupget or I've tried to make them available in the same folder. One exception might be Tuxpaint because it requires SDL libs and I haven't posted the new package yet (coming soon).

Jmarsden has started an interesting discussion about Pupget and some possible enhancements to it. He proposes a way to add more repositories to the system and add package signing. This would make it possible to set up multiple repositories for Puppy, each with it's own maintainer. In light of the fact that BarryK is planning to eventually transfer maintainance of the distro to the foundation I think these are good ideas. If these or similar changes do get incorporated into Puppy I'll set up a repository full of packages that will work in Puppy 'out of the box'.

Nathan