Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Future releases of TEENpup must be Relevant or it Pointless
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
john biles

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2010, 08:14    Post subject:  Future releases of TEENpup must be Relevant or it Pointless  

Everyday be it here on the forum or on Distrowatch a new Distro, Remaster is released. Someone feels they can do it better so slaves over a PC for days, weeks or Months and finally their masterpiece is ready. They upload it with an announcement of what to expect if someone burns an iso and sit back waiting to see what the forum's think of all their hard work.

Some reports will be good and some will be about users having trouble in one form or another. Be it Hardware or a favorite App that's missing.

There will be the usual Distro Hopper's who put in their 2 cents worth of feedback and make statements along the line of "If only you included this Application or Driver, I'd use your Distro / Remaster all the time" leaving the developer with a sense of obligation to fulfill their requests while in the mean time the Distro Hopper has once again hopped to another Distro / Remaster repeating the circle again.

I think these Distro Hoppers think they are mini "Distro Reviewer's" and really have no use for a PC if they stopped Hopping.

So what has all this ranting got to do with TEENpup and it future?

OK, lets take a look at where Linux not Puppy in general has come in the last 2 years. More and more Distro's are making access to restricted codecs etc easy to install by finding ways around the legal side of things.
Desktops Like KDE4 are finally coming of age with more features and reliability with Distro's like Mandriva, Mint, SuSe, etc becoming more user friendly if your PC have the grunt to run them. I think Ubuntu if all goes to plan with find many new friends with Ubuntu 10.04 when it released in April. I run Mandrive 2010 on my wifes PC and I find it while a bit slow to be a professional quality Operating System for Users like my wife who want to know nothing about how their PC works. It must work in a way my wife can understand for her daily computer tasks, which on a whole Mandriva does.

Linux is improving all the time and it user base will only continue to grown with or without Puppy / TEENpup Linux.

With 500+ Distro's on Distrowatch, TEENpup needs to find it place in the scheme of things and set new rules and expectations for future releases.

1. A new TEENpup Version will only be released when it is Relevant or its Pointless.

2. With the ever increasing number of different Hardware configurations, TEENpup will only include and support a number of Drivers. If your PC's Hardware isn't compatible with the Drivers Included in that Release of TEENpup and you want to use TEENpup, compile your own Drivers. No support will be given in relation to this.

3. Have an request for your popular App to be included in TEENpup. Feel free to post your requests on the forum, but don't expect a reply from me.

4. TEENpup will only be released as a Final.

Please Note: I've stopped working on TEENpup TEENpup 2010 Mini Beta as I can take it no further and by the lack of response from my post on the forum in getting assistance from knowledgeable Forums users, it is the correct decision.

With that said I know what I have to do and what I'm going to do to make happen the next version of TEENpup.

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: