e-Sword bible software installation

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Frank Cox

Linking

#46 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi Jim:

Thanks again for all the help.

3 questions and 1 request.

q1 This is probably a dumb question but if I move Wine to mnt/home and link it back should the link be relative or absolute?

q2 Will Wine still load into ram at startup assuming there is sufficient resources?

q3 I have one install that I cannot seem to get to show up in the menu or get the desktop file to execute. I have checked and double checked and it is a direct copy and paste of the one you created and it works in all my other installs. any idea why?

Request 1 Please change the color of your highlighting, it displays in Columbia Blue on my screen and I cannot read it.

TIA

disciple

#47 Post by disciple »

q2 Will Wine still load into ram at startup assuming there is sufficient resources?
Who says wine loads into ram at startup? How are you running Puppy and how is wine installed?
Some people think that when you run Puppy from CD or a frugal install, your save file is loaded into ram at startup, but I'm pretty sure it isn't, regardless of how much ram you have.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jim1911

Re: Linking

#48 Post by Jim1911 »

Frank Cox wrote:Hi Jim:

Thanks again for all the help.

3 questions and 1 request.

q1 This is probably a dumb question but if I move Wine to mnt/home and link it back should the link be relative or absolute?

q3 I have one install that I cannot seem to get to show up in the menu or get the desktop file to execute. I have checked and double checked and it is a direct copy and paste of the one you created and it works in all my other installs. any idea why?

Request 1 Please change the color of your highlighting, it displays in Columbia Blue on my screen and I cannot read it.

TIA
1. Relative as stated above.
2. I believe that you need to remaster your installation and the new sfs created will load entirely into ram.
3. Open the desktop file as text and make sure that the exec and icon lines both reflect the correct paths in your installation. Also check to see if esword.sh is in usr/bin.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Frank Cox

Wine

#49 Post by Frank Cox »

disciple wrote:
Who says wine loads into ram at startup? How are you running Puppy and how is wine installed?
Some people think that when you run Puppy from CD or a frugal install, your save file is loaded into ram at startup, but I'm pretty sure it isn't, regardless of how much ram you have.
I was under the impression everything loaded into ram, that that was why puppy was so fast.

Frank Cox

Re: Linking

#50 Post by Frank Cox »

Forgive my ignorance but if I move Wine to mnt/home will the remaster program copy it as well?

Also what would be a case one would use an absolute link?

Thanks?

disciple

#51 Post by disciple »

If the link and its target are likely to both be moved (or copied) together then you would use a relative link, because e.g. if it was absolute and you moved the directory structure they are both contained in, the link would be broken.

If the link is likely to be moved (or copied) but the target is likely to stay in the same place, then you would use an absolute link. e.g. if you moved a relative link into another folder then it would be broken.

Try some and see :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Frank Cox

Thanks

#52 Post by Frank Cox »

disciple wrote:If the link and its target are likely to both be moved (or copied) together then you would use a relative link, because e.g. if it was absolute and you moved the directory structure they are both contained in, the link would be broken.

If the link is likely to be moved (or copied) but the target is likely to stay in the same place, then you would use an absolute link. e.g. if you moved a relative link into another folder then it would be broken.

Try some and see :)
Thanks

disciple

#53 Post by disciple »

I was under the impression everything loaded into ram, that that was why puppy was so fast.
PG explained it here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 021#345021

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bones01

#54 Post by bones01 »

Jim1911 wrote:
bones01 wrote:Well done Frank. good to see this is working for others too.

Jim, I'm sorry to ask what is probably a simple question, but I don't know what or how to 'link' one file to another. :oops: I'm trying another frugal install, and am keen to try your suggestion, but not sure what to do.

Could you lead me through it please?

Thanks.

Bones
Sorry, that it's taken me so long to answer, been on vacation, but I see that you solved it. Here's my technique.

The primary approach that I use after a successful installation is to move .wine to mnt/home and then copy a link to /root/. This keeps the wine programs out of the save file (less danger of corruption) and provides the flexibility to use it with different pups. I still place the other needed files in /usr/bin and /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps, of course they could be moved to an e-Sword directory in mnt/home and linked back to the proper locations.

To accomplish this I use Rox. Open mnt/home with Rox, then open another instance of Rox in root, left click on the eye to show hidden files in both directories, select .wine, drag it to mnt/home, select move. The next step is to link .wine back to the root directory. To accomplish this, drag .wine back to root and select Link (relative).

I believe this will be easier than the approach you used.

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks Jim. Seemed to work well. Hopefully that's it now.

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

#55 Post by bones01 »

Hi all,

the install and linking seems to work really well, but there's one small problem.

When I open e-Sword on my frugal install, it works, but doesn't appear in the task bar. And if I minimize it, it disappears. it's still open, but gone.

Any ideas?

Bones.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Frank Cox

#56 Post by Frank Cox »

bones01 wrote:Hi all,

the install and linking seems to work really well, but there's one small problem.

When I open e-Sword on my frugal install, it works, but doesn't appear in the task bar. And if I minimize it, it disappears. it's still open, but gone.

Any ideas?

Bones.
There is a quirk in Puppy that will cause an open program to disappear and if
you roll the scroll button on your mouse it reappears. Not sure if that is what you are describing but its worth a shot to try it.

disciple

#57 Post by disciple »

bones01 wrote:doesn't appear in the task bar
Are you sure you're talking about the same thing Frank?

Bones, my best guess is that it is a quirk of whatever Wine version you happen to have... but you may also want to try a different Window manager or a different version of e-Sword.
I have seen similar quirks with recent development versions of JWM (it seems Joe is implementing support of hints for distinguishing different types of windows). What version do you have?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Frank Cox

#58 Post by Frank Cox »

no, i said i was not sure.

disciple

#59 Post by disciple »

Ah, true :oops:

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bones01

#60 Post by bones01 »

disciple wrote:
Bones, my best guess is that it is a quirk of whatever Wine version you happen to have... but you may also want to try a different Window manager or a different version of e-Sword.
I have seen similar quirks with recent development versions of JWM (it seems Joe is implementing support of hints for distinguishing different types of windows). What version do you have?
I'm using whatever version of JWM is standard in Lupu, but don't know anymore than that.

The same thing also happened on the Quirky install. Enormously frustrating.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#61 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi bones01,

Try Icewm, to change from JWM in Lupu-507, select Desktop, Desktop Settings, Window Manager Switcher Choose JWM or Icewm.

I've also had a running e-Sword disappear when minimized, and I believe I was using JWM at the time, however, it was an intermittent behaviour. Haven't noticed it happening with Icewm.

Jim

bones01

#62 Post by bones01 »

Thanks Jim,

I don't have the "Window Manager Switcher" in my menu. I'm using Lupu 5.0.1, so don't know if that makes a difference.

There's always something else to be done!

cheers

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#63 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Thanks Jim,

I don't have the "Window Manager Switcher" in my menu. I'm using Lupu 5.0.1, so don't know if that makes a difference.

There's always something else to be done!

cheers

Bones
Yes, that's only in the betas for 5.1 and they are very stable on my computer.

Frank Cox

Desktop File -Appearance

#64 Post by Frank Cox »

I built a new 431 full install for my flash drive and I get this error message on the desktop file which is the one you wrote and copied it into Geany and saved to usr/share/applications

Can't find Exec command in .desktop file '/root/.usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop

I put the icon in pixmap but it does not find it either.

Its weird , the last install worked perfectly. one mistake I think I made was adding MFC40.DLL , I went back and added MFC42 but I don't know if it matters. Also the colors are horrible on the start page and poor in the graphics viewer .

This was the first time I installed 960.exe .

It does not show up in menu either. i don't understand how to make that file executable which may be the problem, esword.sh works fine.

Jim1911

#65 Post by Jim1911 »

Apparently, your flash drive paths are different on your installation. Since e-Sword.sh works properly, you just need to edit the paths in the .desktop file to reflect your installation.