e-Sword bible software installation

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Jim1911

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi bones,
bones01 wrote:Hi Jim,
I'm now trying a frugal install,(4.3.1) but having no luck. When I click to install, the Install Wizard comes up, and all looks good, but then it closes. Looking at .wine/drive_c/program files doesn't show e-Sword at all.
I'm sure I've added the dlls and altered the two dlls as per instructions but am not getting through.
Any other suggestion?
Thanks for your patience.
Bones
On your frugal installation, please do a search, since this problem has many discussions. If you don't find an answer, start a new thread, and I'll be happy to respond there. I always do a manual installation (just mount the iso file and use rox to copy files to a new pup directory) and edit the menu.lst which is usually successful with any pup.

On the e-Sword issue. Were you successful in removing and reinstalling Wine? What happens when you run the setup960.exe?

Jim

bones01

#32 Post by bones01 »

When I run setup960, the install wizard starts, but nothing finishes. When I use 'pfind' to see if there is anything on the system, it finds e-Sword.msi in a hidden folder inside .wine/drive_C . . . . . but clicking on that does nothing.

So I'm dazed and confused.

I'll keep trying for a while and start a new thread if I need to.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

where installation ends up

#33 Post by bones01 »

Hi Jim,

I've just tried again on the 4.3.1 Frugal. I've completely uninstalled wine, and double checked to make sure it was gone, then installed wine-1.1.40-i486.pet. This then downloaded Gecko as it does.

As far as I can tell, Wine is exactly where it should be.

I've placed the .dll files where required, changed the others to native (windows) as required, but an install seems to end up here:

/root/.wine/drive_c/users/root/Local Settings/Application Data/Downloaded Installations/{DB994397-37D5-47CA-A94C-DA3539AAF1E5}/e-Sword.msi

Apart from this, nothing is happening.

What is really frustrating is how well it worked when I first tried it last year.

If anything seems obvious to you, please let me know.

And thanks for your patience.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

Success. Hooray!!

#34 Post by bones01 »

Jim, I finally got it to work. Here's what I did on the full install of 5.0.1

Made sure that Wine had gone completely. Then used the 'quickpet' to download the latest wine. Used WineTricks to get the two .dll files - at least once I learned that alt-click will drag the immensely long winetricks page.

Rebooted just to make sure it was all there, and all looked good.

Then went to wineconfig to alter the riched and oleaut dlls. Being sure this was right I made sure I left the wineconfig box open before trying to install setup960.

I also only clicked once to install.

It's there. It works. I'm happy! :D

Whether I had a dodgy wine (which sounds funny for someone who doesn't drink) or a corrupt dll, I don't know. But that doesn't matter now.

Thanks again for your ongoing support.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

Re: Success. Hooray!!

#35 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Jim, I finally got it to work. Here's what I did on the full install of 5.0.1

Made sure that Wine had gone completely. Then used the 'quickpet' to download the latest wine. Used WineTricks to get the two .dll files - at least once I learned that alt-click will drag the immensely long winetricks page.

Rebooted just to make sure it was all there, and all looked good.

Then went to wineconfig to alter the riched and oleaut dlls. Being sure this was right I made sure I left the wineconfig box open before trying to install setup960.

I also only clicked once to install.

It's there. It works. I'm happy! :D

Whether I had a dodgy wine (which sounds funny for someone who doesn't drink) or a corrupt dll, I don't know. But that doesn't matter now.

Thanks again for your ongoing support.

Bones
Great, do your graphics work? That's neat using WineTricks to get the extra .dll files, I had not discovered how to scroll through that list.

Thanks for the update,
Jim

bones01

#36 Post by bones01 »

I don't think the graphics are working, but I haven't yet d/l any maps etc.

I'm amazed I can actually help someone :) I only learned about scrolling the winetricks thing by accident.
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

Graphics are working

#37 Post by bones01 »

Yes Jim, the graphics are working fine. In fact, everything is working. I might be too scared to change anything ever again!

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#38 Post by Jim1911 »

Just make a backup of your /root/.wine folder and put it in a safe place. Then you will be able to easily restore it.

bones01

#39 Post by bones01 »

Having finally got this up and working on the full install, I then did something terrible and can't get into Lucid now!!! Oh the frustration!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 479#430479

So, I've installed Quirky 1.00 as a frugal, and have had the same trouble as before in trying to get e-Sword up and running. However, I seem to have had some success this morning.

Installed wine 1.2-rc4 as .sfs from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=45

I have found that the only way I can get things working is to use WineTricks to get msls31 & mfc42 .dll files. This also seems to grab some other .dll files, but I don't know how significant that is.

I also downloaded a new copy of e-sword from e-sword.net Again, I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Anyway, it's working and the graphics are working too.

I did try to copy the .wine file as you suggested, but there were some errors, so it didn't work. I'll try with this one too.

Cheers

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#40 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi bones01,

The primary approach that I use after a successful installation is to move .wine to mnt/home and then copy a link to /root/. This keeps the wine programs out of the save file (less danger of corruption) and provides the flexibility to use it with different pups. I still place the other needed files in /usr/bin and /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps, of course they could be moved to an e-Sword directory in mnt/home and linked back to the proper locations.

Glad that you got it working again.

Jim

Frank Cox

esword won't set up

#41 Post by Frank Cox »

I built a new lucid puppy , installed wine 40, the missing files, set the dll to native windows ets , installed cabextract but the setup 960 won't run.

Then I nuked wine and loaded a newer wine with quickpet and everything worked, it even added it to the menu!

bones01

#42 Post by bones01 »

Well done Frank. good to see this is working for others too.

Jim, I'm sorry to ask what is probably a simple question, but I don't know what or how to 'link' one file to another. :oops: I'm trying another frugal install, and am keen to try your suggestion, but not sure what to do.

Could you lead me through it please?

Thanks.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Frank Cox

Linking

#43 Post by Frank Cox »

bones01 wrote:Well done Frank. good to see this is working for others too.

Jim, I'm sorry to ask what is probably a simple question, but I don't know what or how to 'link' one file to another. :oops: I'm trying another frugal install, and am keen to try your suggestion, but not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Bones
Hi Bones:

I know one way. When you try to set {Open With} and the program you want is not there you can click on customize at the bottom which brings up a warning page and you click on that and it brings up a list of the available programs . Then you open another Rox Filer and go to /usr/bin and drag the executable into the list , Another box pops up and you have to choose between, copy .move. ,relative link, etc and I always choose relative and so far it works!

Then you go to /usr/share/applications and open the one you want to change as text. For instance I use Textmaker as my word processor so when I open the default word processor as text I just change the word Abiword to Textmaker and then when I hit write on the desktop Textmaker opens and from then on if you I run into a file like odt for instance Puppy does not know how to open I can just hit set run action and drag the link I made into the box and it's done.

What I would like to know is what to type in the box to keep from opening multiple rox filers when you make links or or to copy files.

Hope this helped, I am always happy to share my ever increasing confusion about Linux :}

T

bones01

Re: Linking

#44 Post by bones01 »

Frank Cox wrote:
Hope this helped, I am always happy to share my ever increasing confusion about Linux :}
Thanks Frank. A little confusion is always good to share.
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#45 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Well done Frank. good to see this is working for others too.

Thanks.

Bones
Sorry, that it's taken me so long to answer, been on vacation, but I see that you solved it. Here's my technique.

The primary approach that I use after a successful installation is to move .wine to mnt/home and then copy a link to /root/. This keeps the wine programs out of the save file (less danger of corruption) and provides the flexibility to use it with different pups. I still place the other needed files in /usr/bin and /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps, of course they could be moved to an e-Sword directory in mnt/home and linked back to the proper locations.

To accomplish this I use Rox. Open mnt/home with Rox, then open another instance of Rox in root, left click on the eye to show hidden files in both directories, select .wine, drag it to mnt/home, select move. The next step is to link .wine back to the root directory. To accomplish this, drag .wine back to root and select Link (relative).

I believe this will be easier than the approach you used.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Cox

Linking

#46 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi Jim:

Thanks again for all the help.

3 questions and 1 request.

q1 This is probably a dumb question but if I move Wine to mnt/home and link it back should the link be relative or absolute?

q2 Will Wine still load into ram at startup assuming there is sufficient resources?

q3 I have one install that I cannot seem to get to show up in the menu or get the desktop file to execute. I have checked and double checked and it is a direct copy and paste of the one you created and it works in all my other installs. any idea why?

Request 1 Please change the color of your highlighting, it displays in Columbia Blue on my screen and I cannot read it.

TIA

disciple

#47 Post by disciple »

q2 Will Wine still load into ram at startup assuming there is sufficient resources?
Who says wine loads into ram at startup? How are you running Puppy and how is wine installed?
Some people think that when you run Puppy from CD or a frugal install, your save file is loaded into ram at startup, but I'm pretty sure it isn't, regardless of how much ram you have.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jim1911

#48 Post by Jim1911 »

Frank Cox wrote:Hi Jim:

Thanks again for all the help.

3 questions and 1 request.

q1 This is probably a dumb question but if I move Wine to mnt/home and link it back should the link be relative or absolute?

q3 I have one install that I cannot seem to get to show up in the menu or get the desktop file to execute. I have checked and double checked and it is a direct copy and paste of the one you created and it works in all my other installs. any idea why?

Request 1 Please change the color of your highlighting, it displays in Columbia Blue on my screen and I cannot read it.

TIA
1. Relative as stated above.
2. I believe that you need to remaster your installation and the new sfs created will load entirely into ram.
3. Open the desktop file as text and make sure that the exec and icon lines both reflect the correct paths in your installation. Also check to see if esword.sh is in usr/bin.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Frank Cox

Wine

#49 Post by Frank Cox »

disciple wrote:
Who says wine loads into ram at startup? How are you running Puppy and how is wine installed?
Some people think that when you run Puppy from CD or a frugal install, your save file is loaded into ram at startup, but I'm pretty sure it isn't, regardless of how much ram you have.
I was under the impression everything loaded into ram, that that was why puppy was so fast.

Frank Cox

#50 Post by Frank Cox »

Forgive my ignorance but if I move Wine to mnt/home will the remaster program copy it as well?

Also what would be a case one would use an absolute link?

Thanks?