e-Sword bible software installation

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
bones01

I'll stick with e-Sword for now

#16 Post by bones01 »

KF6SNJ wrote:While I can appreciate the desire to run e-Sword under Wine on Puppy, I am at a loss as to why. I say this for we already have ChurchPup which comes with BibleDesktop preconfigured and it uses the same modules as e-Sword. Also, BibleDesktop is available as a .pet file from the ChurchPup website. It would just seem to me that using a program that is already natively coded for Puppy would fewer system resources than having to run a simulator to run a program that is virtually identical to something that is already available that doesn't need an emulator/simulator. Of course I have a relative that managed to get MSIE7 to run Mepis, though why anyone would want to do that I don't know.
As a windows refugee, the first few times I tried to set up Bible Desktop or BibleTime, I got hopelessly lost. I'd like to try them all, but having spent a fair bit of time and effort setting up everything else on the computer, I don't want to try something else (churchpup) and mess everything else up!

I know this reflects more on my lack of knowledge than the worth of ChurchPup - which I have a copy of on CD.

Could you write a short tutorial on how to get BibleDesktop up and running?

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Barq's

e-Sword

#17 Post by Barq's »

I am having a rough time getting this to work, I keep getting the fatal error must close message each time I start e-sword. I ran the dependencies checker in the package manager and it came back with;
File /usr/lib/wine/wldap32.dll.so has these missing library files: libldap_r-2.4.so.2 liblber-2.4.so.2

File /usr/lib/wine/glu32.dll.so has these missing library files: libGLU.so.1
Can anybody tell me what these mean and what I can do about it?

Also is there some way to un-install wine and e-sword entirely so I can start over?

tom4jesus

Re: I'll stick with e-Sword for now

#18 Post by tom4jesus »

bones01 wrote:
KF6SNJ wrote:While I can appreciate the desire to run e-Sword under Wine on Puppy, I am at a loss as to why. I say this for we already have ChurchPup which comes with BibleDesktop
...I know this reflects more on my lack of knowledge than the worth
of ChurchPup - which I have a copy of on CD. ...
Bones
I have followed the Chuchpup thread for quite awhile and unfortunately it is an outdated project that has not really been worked on in a couple years.

Besides all the great points about e-sword already cited I would add that there are shareware modules available with many copywrited commentaries and bible versions for e-sword that are not available from the Sword-project that is the basis for all Linux Bible software. I have purchased a few and they really are worth while.
I use e-sword in both windows and Linux preferring it to the Linux options.
xiphos is nice under Ubuntu but I have not successfully used it in puppy.
ttuuxxx has some of the Linux bible software on his livingwaters pup that work well, however, like Churchpup it is rather outdated (at least 2 years I think) and an update to the newer version of puppy for the base that was supposed to happen never materialized.

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

Also is there some way to un-install wine and e-sword entirely so I can start over?
You should be able to use Wine's equivalent of the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" to remove e-sword, then uninstall Wine using petget (assuming you installed it as a .pet). I doubt there is any point in that though, as I don't think those are your problem. And even if you did need to reinstall Wine, I suspect that you wouldn't need to uninstall E-sword - you would either need to get the dependencies, or possibly a different package of Wine that doesn't depend on them.

IIRC libGLU is part of OpenGL.
I think the other two both come from libopenldap. I don't seem to have them, so I think at least my version of E-sword doesn't need wldap32.dll.so, and I also doubt that it needs glu32.dll.so

What is the actual message you get when you try to start e-sword?
When you try to start it from a terminal, what error messages are output to the terminal?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jim1911

#20 Post by Jim1911 »

@Barq's
Please run the code env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe" in a console and post your output.

Also, what pup are you running? What version of Wine?

@disciple
I really appreciate your post. We need your help with Wine.
Jim

Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Could you write a short tutorial on how to get BibleDesktop up and running?
Go to the old Churchpup site and under BIBLE SOFTWARE: download Bibledesktop1.08.pet and install it. The pet includes the necessary java, so after installation, all you'll need to do is download some Sword modules using BibleDesktop and it should work. It is an older version, but should run OK on most pups.

Frank Cox

E-sword 960

#22 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi Jim:

I am having no real problems with 9.5, is 9.6 that much better to bother with?

Also have you had any luck getting all the features to work?

Thanks

Jim1911

Re: E-sword 960

#23 Post by Jim1911 »

Frank Cox wrote:Hi Jim:
I am having no real problems with 9.5, is 9.6 that much better to bother with?
Also have you had any luck getting all the features to work?
Thanks
The biggest feature is being able to highlight and mark passages in the commentaries and dictionaries. All you need to do is download it and doubleclick on it to install. No extra setup required, it installs fine.

Jim

ttuuxxx

Re: I'll stick with e-Sword for now

#24 Post by ttuuxxx »

tom4jesus wrote: ttuuxxx has some of the Linux bible software on his livingwaters pup that work well, however, like Churchpup it is rather outdated (at least 2 years I think) and an update to the newer version of puppy for the base that was supposed to happen never materialized.
There will be a newer version once 2.14X is final is released, We are like at RC5, Just trying to find and fix any left over bugs, I wanted to build a release on 2.14X and the latest 5 series, but 5 series is not near stable enough to build a release yet. 4 series is too dated and would be waste of time. So really 2.14X is the way to go until 5 series is released.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Jim1911

#25 Post by Jim1911 »

Tazoc's latest Lighthouse has a
* New Wine e-Sword 9.6.0 Bible Study downloader and installer, based on a script by david_kt and adapted for Lighthouse.
Check it out here.

Jim

bones01

#26 Post by bones01 »

Hi Jim

I've upgraded to a full install of Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 and am trying to follow your instructions once again, but something's not working. I have downloaded and installed the .dll files and made the changes you asked for, But to no avail.

I used the 'quickpet' option in Lucid to download Wine, and it has given me version 1.1.43. Would that be part of the problem?

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#27 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:I used the 'quickpet' option in Lucid to download Wine, and it has given me version 1.1.43. Would that be part of the problem?
I've found that the procedures on the first post work fine with Lucid 5.01, as well as the test luci releases. As stated on the first post though, you may have problems with any wine pet releases later than 1.1.40. My experience with them, including the version that Quickpet downloads, is that when following these procedures with the later releases that the only thing broken is graphics, otherwise e-Sword works fine. However, graphics does work on tazoc's Lighthouse which has later releases, but I understand that he uses deb source files that are different from those used to prepare the available pet files.

Possibly, you have overlooked a step, if not, you may try the older 1.1.40 with corresponding versions of the MFC42.DLL and msls31.dll.

Since you already have a good working version, try this procedure. I have found that the .wine file is very portable and to save space in the save file and time setting up a new installation, I copy (from a working version) the .wine file to /mnt/home along with /usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop, /usr/bin/esword.sh, and /usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png to an eSword directory. Then to get a new operating version on a new puppy OS, do the following steps.
1. Install wine to the new puppy OS using any of the later versions.
2. Locate the /root/.wine file and delete it which of course renders wine inoperable.
3. Locate your .wine file at /mnt/home and create a symlink to /root/.
4. Next copy or create symlinks at /usr/bin, /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps in the new puppy OS to the other files in the /mnt/home/eSword directory.
5. Now, wine will work again. Of course, if you have other Windows programs installed, a similar procedure will need to be done for each installed program.

This has worked well for my frugal installations and should also work with a full HD installation.

Jim

bones01

#28 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for your reply Jim.

Possibly, you have overlooked a step, if not, you may try the older 1.1.40 with corresponding versions of the MFC42.DLL and msls31.dll.

What do you mean "corresponding versions"? I got them from dlldump and dropped them into System32. Also, I notice that your MFC42.DLL is in capitals. Does that make a difference? If so, where can I find these?

Since you already have a good working version, try this procedure. I have found that the .wine file is very portable and to save space in the save file and time setting up a new installation, I copy (from a working version) the .wine file to /mnt/home along with /usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop, /usr/bin/esword.sh, and /usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png to an eSword directory. Then to get a new operating version on a new puppy OS, do the following steps.
1. Install wine to the new puppy OS using any of the later versions.
2. Locate the /root/.wine file and delete it which of course renders wine inoperable.
3. Locate your .wine file at /mnt/home and create a symlink to /root/.
4. Next copy or create symlinks at /usr/bin, /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps in the new puppy OS to the other files in the /mnt/home/eSword directory.
5. Now, wine will work again. Of course, if you have other Windows programs installed, a similar procedure will need to be done for each installed program.

This has worked well for my frugal installations and should also work with a full HD installation.

Jim[/quote]

Alas, I used to have a good working version. Something went very wrong in trying to upgrade to Lucid, and I ended up losing everything. So it's a fresh start, which is more annoying than words can express. :x

If I can work out how to remove Wine, I might try the older version.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#29 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:What do you mean "corresponding versions"? I got them from dlldump and dropped them into System32. Also, I notice that your MFC42.DLL is in capitals. Does that make a difference? If so, where can I find these?

If I can work out how to remove Wine, I might try the older version.

Bones
Those are fine, mfc42.dll should be in lower case.

You've discovered one of the major disadvantages of a full HD installation. It's easy to backup a save file in a frugal installation. Then just copy it back when you have a problem and you have a fresh installation. Also, it's much easier to update, and use sfs files. Since you are starting over, reconsider using a frugal installation. You can still keep many files out of your save file by installing them to /mnt/home as I described for e-Sword.

To uninstall Wine, just use ppm. Then you may use rox to see if the hidden /root/.wine was removed, if not. delete it. Also, you need to check /usr/share/applications and delete any wine application.desktop files that are still showing up in the menu.

Jim

bones01

#30 Post by bones01 »

Hi Jim,

I'm now trying a frugal install,(4.3.1) but having no luck. When I click to install, the Install Wizard comes up, and all looks good, but then it closes. Looking at .wine/drive_c/program files doesn't show e-Sword at all.

I'm sure I've added the dlls and altered the two dlls as per instructions but am not getting through.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks for your patience.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi bones,
bones01 wrote:Hi Jim,
I'm now trying a frugal install,(4.3.1) but having no luck. When I click to install, the Install Wizard comes up, and all looks good, but then it closes. Looking at .wine/drive_c/program files doesn't show e-Sword at all.
I'm sure I've added the dlls and altered the two dlls as per instructions but am not getting through.
Any other suggestion?
Thanks for your patience.
Bones
On your frugal installation, please do a search, since this problem has many discussions. If you don't find an answer, start a new thread, and I'll be happy to respond there. I always do a manual installation (just mount the iso file and use rox to copy files to a new pup directory) and edit the menu.lst which is usually successful with any pup.

On the e-Sword issue. Were you successful in removing and reinstalling Wine? What happens when you run the setup960.exe?

Jim

bones01

#32 Post by bones01 »

When I run setup960, the install wizard starts, but nothing finishes. When I use 'pfind' to see if there is anything on the system, it finds e-Sword.msi in a hidden folder inside .wine/drive_C . . . . . but clicking on that does nothing.

So I'm dazed and confused.

I'll keep trying for a while and start a new thread if I need to.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

where installation ends up

#33 Post by bones01 »

Hi Jim,

I've just tried again on the 4.3.1 Frugal. I've completely uninstalled wine, and double checked to make sure it was gone, then installed wine-1.1.40-i486.pet. This then downloaded Gecko as it does.

As far as I can tell, Wine is exactly where it should be.

I've placed the .dll files where required, changed the others to native (windows) as required, but an install seems to end up here:

/root/.wine/drive_c/users/root/Local Settings/Application Data/Downloaded Installations/{DB994397-37D5-47CA-A94C-DA3539AAF1E5}/e-Sword.msi

Apart from this, nothing is happening.

What is really frustrating is how well it worked when I first tried it last year.

If anything seems obvious to you, please let me know.

And thanks for your patience.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

Success. Hooray!!

#34 Post by bones01 »

Jim, I finally got it to work. Here's what I did on the full install of 5.0.1

Made sure that Wine had gone completely. Then used the 'quickpet' to download the latest wine. Used WineTricks to get the two .dll files - at least once I learned that alt-click will drag the immensely long winetricks page.

Rebooted just to make sure it was all there, and all looked good.

Then went to wineconfig to alter the riched and oleaut dlls. Being sure this was right I made sure I left the wineconfig box open before trying to install setup960.

I also only clicked once to install.

It's there. It works. I'm happy! :D

Whether I had a dodgy wine (which sounds funny for someone who doesn't drink) or a corrupt dll, I don't know. But that doesn't matter now.

Thanks again for your ongoing support.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

Re: Success. Hooray!!

#35 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Jim, I finally got it to work. Here's what I did on the full install of 5.0.1

Made sure that Wine had gone completely. Then used the 'quickpet' to download the latest wine. Used WineTricks to get the two .dll files - at least once I learned that alt-click will drag the immensely long winetricks page.

Rebooted just to make sure it was all there, and all looked good.

Then went to wineconfig to alter the riched and oleaut dlls. Being sure this was right I made sure I left the wineconfig box open before trying to install setup960.

I also only clicked once to install.

It's there. It works. I'm happy! :D

Whether I had a dodgy wine (which sounds funny for someone who doesn't drink) or a corrupt dll, I don't know. But that doesn't matter now.

Thanks again for your ongoing support.

Bones
Great, do your graphics work? That's neat using WineTricks to get the extra .dll files, I had not discovered how to scroll through that list.

Thanks for the update,
Jim