e-Sword bible software installation

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Jim1911

e-Sword bible software installation

#1 Post by Jim1911 »

Rick Meyers, developer wrote:e-Sword is a fast and effective way to study the Bible. e-Sword is feature rich and user friendly with more capabilities than you would expect in a free software package. The fact that e-Sword is free is just one of the blessings and does not speak of the quality of the software. I make my living writing software and I believe I have put forth my best effort in this endeavor. The real work, however, was put in by the godly men and women who devoted countless years creating the texts that have been made available for our benefit.
In His service,
Rick Meyers
Note: The following steps may be unnecessary if you are using the latest Wine for Puppy and the latest e-Sword since there have been significant improvements in both and they now work well together. Seepost on page 8 for updated procedures.

The following steps should result in a successful e-Sword installation using puppy 431 and the latest wine .pet . It has also been successfully tested on Puppy 432, dpup-484, and the latest Puppy Lucid, Lighthouse, Wary and Quirky. Amazingly, e-Sword on my hardware is quicker and more responsive under Wine than it is under it's native windows.

1. Download from green_dome's latest wine-1.4-rc5 which works great.

2. Download e-Sword installation files, setup972.exe plus any other desired modules. Unfortunately this link now just downloads the latest e-Sword and is no longer active to download modules, see EDIT below.

3. Before installation, two missing files, needed by e-Sword,MFC42.DLL and msls31.dll must be located and copied to /root/.wine "C:\\windows\\system32", otherwise the installation file will not work properly.

4. Next in order for the graphics to work properly, use Wine configuration (in console winecfg) to set riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll to native. Press the Libraries tab > type riched20.dll > press add > press edit > choose Native (windows). Do the same for oleaut32.dll.

NOTE1: Known problem, the e-Sword Graphics Viewer may not work with wine versions higher than 1.1.40-i486.pet.

NOTE2: For the e-Sword Graphics Viewer to work with wine versions higher than 1.1.40-i486.pet, the above dlls may need to be set to (Native then builtin), otherwise e-Sword may not start. Also, to see the graphic, you may need to select Print Preview in the Graphics viewer, next, close the Print Preview, then click on the Fit Width button.

5. Install setup972.exe by double clicking on the file. Install the additional modules that were downloaded ie. clarke.exe, isv.exe, asv.exe, smith.exe, and spurgeons.exe by double clicking on the files.

6. The next step is to place the e-Sword.desktop in the proper location so that it will show up in the menu correctly. The setup972.exe file places e-Sword.desktop in /root/Desktop and /root/.wine/drive_c/users/Desktop, but it fails on some distributions. Just click on the e-Sword.desktop to start the program. However, in order for e-Sword to display properly in the menu, e-Sword.desktop must be placed in /usr/share/applications and edited in order for it to show up in a proper category.

a. Goto /root/Desktop and copy the file e-Sword.desktop to /usr/share/applications. Note: Some pups won't have the /root/desktop directory, if so, step 7 should work.

b. Open /usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop in an editor and add the following code Categories=WordProcessor which will allow e-Sword to show up in the Document menu. If you want it to show up on your desktop, also copy your corrected e-Sword.desktop file to the desktop.

c. Execute the code fixmenus in a console.

d. Restart X, then e-Sword should show up as a menu item in the Document menu. Click on it and e-Sword should start.

7. If e-Sword doesn't start in step 6, or the e-Sword.desktop file was not located, try the following:

a. Execute the code env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe" in a console. E-sword should start and now all that's needed is a proper e-Sword.desktop file.

b. Use Pfind or other search tool to locate e-Sword.desktop and place it in /usr/share/applications and edit it as in step 6 above. Or you can open an editor, insert the following code and save it in /usr/share/applications.

Code: Select all

Name=e-Sword 
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png 
Comment=Bible study 
Exec=env WINEPREFIX=/root/.wine wine "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe" 
Terminal=false 
Type=Application 
Categories=WordProcessor 
GenericName=e-Sword
Locate the icon with Pfind or other search tool, and place it in /usr/share/pixmaps, otherwise correct the above code to reflect the correct icon location.

8. Another helpful addition is to create an executable file and place it in usr/bin. To do this, prepare a text file named esword.sh containing the code env WINEPREFIX=/root/.wine wine "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe", make sure that it is executable by checking properties and changing it to executable. This will allow you to start e-Sword from a console easily, or to add it to the Favorites menu in pups such as Stardust and Puppy 4.4CE or to add it to wbar if your pup has wbar.

NOTE:
It is important, after a successful installation, to make a backup of it. Just copy root/.wine to mnt/home. Another alternative approach is to move root/.wine to mnt/home and then copy a link to root/. This keeps the wine programs out of the save file (less danger of corruption) and provides the flexibility to use it with different pups. I still place the other needed files in /usr/bin and /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps, of course they could be moved to an e-Sword directory in mnt/home and linked back to the proper locations. Also, you need to make backup copies of files that you added: /usr/bin/esword.sh. /usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop and/usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png since these will also be needed for new installations.

Also, in a new installation of another pup, all you will need to do is install Wine, then delete root/.wine and add a link to your /mnt/home/.wine. Then copy or link to /usr/bin/esword.sh, /usr/share/applications, /e-Sword.desktop, and/usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png.

These procedures are an adaptation of manual procedures developed by david_kt for Ubuntu. Thank you David.

EDIT (Jan 2011):
Jim1911 wrote:There is a new e-Sword update, e-Sword v9.8.2 application installation. Unfortunately, Rick Meyer, developer of e-Sword, has changed his site and now the only way to download modules is by using a new Module Downloader that is a main feature of the latest 9.8 version. See attachment.

The Module Downloader is a great feature for Windows users because it shows what you have installed and enables downloads, but it does not work under Linux.

The good news is that you can update to e-Sword v9.8.2 by downloading setup982.exe with your browser and click on it. Except for the downloading feature, it works great.

I have asked Rick to restore browser access to the download area as it was prior to 9.8 so that Linux users can still get new modules and updates.
Rick responded that I need to roll back to version 9.7.2. This does not work for new users because the e-Sword web site links only to latest version.

However, although there are no download links, I discovered that a browser can still be used to access the web site download areas for new modules or updates by entering a complete link for the download as follows: Note: These links are no longer active.
Bibles- www.e-sword.net/bibles.html
Commentaries - www.e-sword.net/commentaries.html
Dictionaries - www.e-sword.net/dictionaries.html
Devotions - www.e-sword.net/devotions.html
Graphics - www.e-sword.net/graphics.html
Extras - www.e-sword.net/extras.html
Attachments
esword.pet
This pet places the files in appropriate directories so that program starts properly
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
ModuleDownloader.jpg
(137.46 KiB) Downloaded 986 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 02:25, edited 54 times in total.

bones01

It actually works

#2 Post by bones01 »

Last time I tried to install e-Sword it took ages and many attempts. Tried to follow your instructions carefully and it all worked. Even download and installing worked first time.

Thanks for the warning about the missing dll.

Just a couple of notes though. You wrote
"a. Goto /root/Desktop and copy the file e-Sword.desktop to /usr/share/applications."
I don't have /root/Desktop so needed to run pFind to find it. No problem there.

"b. Open /usr/share/e-Sword.desktop in an editor and add the following code Categories=WordProcessor which will allow e-Sword to show up in the Document menu. If you want it to show up on your desktop, also copy your corrected e-Sword.desktop file to the desktop."

did you mean /usr/share/applications/e.Sword.desktop? That worked for me.

Thanks again for putting this on the forum. Glad I found it even though I wasn't looking for it.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Frank Cox

Menus

#3 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi Jim:

I appreciate your help.
I have had no luck getting the menu to work but I never use it anyway.
I installed E-sword Ubuntu on 2 different machines. One with your method and one with the installer. The graphics work on the one with the installer.
That does not prove the installer made the difference but it is the only test I have.
Do you know where I can get drivers for Nvidia cards?

bones01

Graphics

#4 Post by bones01 »

You might be onto something frank. My excitement has lessened a little after trying to view some maps and timeline.

Any idea why this might happen?
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#5 Post by Jim1911 »

Frank and bones01,

Thanks for the feedback. An oversite, although installed, I hadn't checked the graphics since everything else was working so good.

Discovered that another dll msls31.dll is needed. Locate it and copy it to /root/.wine "C:\\windows\\system32\"

Next, in winecfg set riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll to native. Using Wine configuration (in console winecfg)Press the Libraries tab > type riched20.dll > press add > press edit > choose Native (windows).
Do the same for oleaut32.dll. This should solve the graphics problem.

Above has been added to original post.

Thanks,
Jim

Frank Cox

Success!

#6 Post by Frank Cox »

Thanks Jim!

I read that on the Ubuntu forum , I don't know why I didn't do it.
Everything is perfect save the Paste into Topic Notes and the menu listing but I can live with that. I had convinced myself it does not makes sense to use the maps because they take up so much room and I can download similar ones but the truth is I like them.

There is probably another lib or dll that needs to be added to make Paste into Topic Notes work. It is no big deal but it does but a blemish on an otherwise perfect install.

bones01

#7 Post by bones01 »

Thanks Jim,

Will give it a try next week when I get a chance.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

tazoc

#8 Post by tazoc »

Hi Jim,
I found that in Lighthouse at least, reversing the order in Step 3 works better. When I copied the files first, the rest of system32 was empty and wine seemed to stop working. So in my frugal install I deleted '/initrd/pup_rw/root/.wine', (this restores Wine to defaults), rebooted and then opened wincfg right off and did the second part of step 3--the overrides for oleaut32 and riched20, closed wincfg and then the first part--copied mfc42.dll and msls31.dll into /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/.

The second problem I had was not ensuring enough freespace in my pupsave. The install quit about half through when I had less than 100M freespace. So I 'restored Wine' as above, resized my pupsave an extra 64M, rebooted and then e-Sword installed using the above change to Step 3 without a hitch.
[Edit: my initial post referred to Step 2, changed to Step 3.]
-TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Sat 13 Mar 2010, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

#9 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote:I found that in Lighthouse at least, reversing the order in Step 2 works better. When I copied the files first, the rest of system32 was empty and wine seemed to stop working. So in my frugal install I deleted '/initrd/pup_rw/root/.wine', (this restores Wine to defaults), rebooted and then opened wincfg right off and did the second part of step 2--the overrides for oleaut32 and riched20, closed wincfg and then the first part--copied mfc42.dll and msls31.dll into /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/.
I believe that you mean step 3 in my post #1.

If Wine is installed first as indicated in step 1, system32 in .wine does have files. That should also be the case if some other ".exe" has been executed in Lighthouse first, which should populate the .wine files as I understood your post on your Lighthouse thread. I believe that this only affects Lighthouse as you indicated. My order in step 3 worked fine for me on all distributions that I've tried.
tazoc wrote:The second problem I had was not ensuring enough freespace in my pupsave.
Great advice for anyone. I've run into the same problem and the only out is to stop and resize the pupsave.

Thanks for clarifying this for Lighthouse users. I personally prefer Lighthouse and recommend it to anyone that wants to use e-Sword, Bibletime, Amarok and other fine applications that work great.
Jim

tazoc

e-Sword How-To, Lighthouse update

#10 Post by tazoc »

Jim1911 wrote:I believe that you mean step 3 in my post #1.
Hi Jim,
Yes, you're right. I corrected my post to Step 3. Thank you for writing the excellent How To and for supporting Lighthouse as well as many other Puppies!
If Wine is installed first as indicated in step 1, system32 in .wine does have files. That should also be the case if some other ".exe" has been executed in Lighthouse first, which should populate the .wine files as I understood your post on your Lighthouse thread. I believe that this only affects Lighthouse as you indicated. My order in step 3 worked fine for me on all distributions that I've tried.
Agreed. I extracted the wine-1.1.40-i486.pet and found that /root/.wine is empty but the pinstall.sh installer script runs winecfg post install which populates /root/.wine. Since LHP 4.43 does not do this automatically to conserve space in the pupsave, I recommend that Lighthouse users also run winecfg (Wine Configuration) before copying the dlls into /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/. Maybe for the next LHP release I could autorun winecfg whenever the 'Browse Wine drive_c' link or menu item is activated.
Thanks again,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

KF6SNJ

#11 Post by KF6SNJ »

While I can appreciate the desire to run e-Sword under Wine on Puppy, I am at a loss as to why. I say this for we already have ChurchPup which comes with BibleDesktop preconfigured and it uses the same modules as e-Sword. Also, BibleDesktop is available as a .pet file from the ChurchPup website. It would just seem to me that using a program that is already natively coded for Puppy would fewer system resources than having to run a simulator to run a program that is virtually identical to something that is already available that doesn't need an emulator/simulator. Of course I have a relative that managed to get MSIE7 to run Mepis, though why anyone would want to do that I don't know.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

Jim1911

#12 Post by Jim1911 »

KF6SNJ wrote:While I can appreciate the desire to run e-Sword under Wine on Puppy, I am at a loss as to why.
My opinion:
1. e-Sword is the best free Bible study program available.
2. It has more public domain software available.
3. It has outstanding resources available that are not public domain for a nominal charge that are not available for linux. Also, Windows refugees may have already purchased them and would like to continue use.
4. It handles STEP files.
5. It runs faster in linux under Wine than it does in Windows.

There are probably other advantages, however there are a number of linux programs that are very good ie. Bibletime (requires KDE libs), Xiphos (requires Gnome libs), BibleDesktop (requires java) which are also resource heavy but don't have all the features of e-Sword. I've listed them in order of my preference and I've used all of these plus a few others.

Churchpup is a large, dated derivative, which uses an old version of BibleDesktop. Users of Churchpup with adequate hardware should seriously consider updating to Lighthouse which has Bibletime, Amarok, and many other useful programs. Users of older hardware should consider Living Water which is also outdated, but ttuuxxx has indicated that he plans to update soon.

That's what's so great about puppy, wide choices of multiple derivatives and useful programs that can enhance your system.

Jim

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

A lot of people would actually delete "free" from Jim's no. 1 :)
It would just seem to me that using a program that is already natively coded for Puppy would fewer system resources than having to run a simulator to run a program that is virtually identical to something that is already available that doesn't need an emulator/simulator.
Wine Is Not An Emulator. And as already mentioned, it often runs programs faster than Windows.
But I'm interested as to whether anyone has compared the performance/resource usage? My experience with Java is such that I'd much rather run something in Wine, but because of that I haven't even tried Bibledesktop. And I'll need a good reason to run KDE or even Gnome :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jim1911

#14 Post by Jim1911 »

disciple wrote:A lot of people would actually delete "free" from Jim's no. 1 Smile
You are correct, "free" should be deleted, it's also better than other Windows Bible study programs that cost big bucks.
Jim

bones01

graphics now work

#15 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for your update Jim. I can now see the maps, which makes it all a bit more usable.

Appreciate your time and effort for a duffer like me.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

I'll stick with e-Sword for now

#16 Post by bones01 »

KF6SNJ wrote:While I can appreciate the desire to run e-Sword under Wine on Puppy, I am at a loss as to why. I say this for we already have ChurchPup which comes with BibleDesktop preconfigured and it uses the same modules as e-Sword. Also, BibleDesktop is available as a .pet file from the ChurchPup website. It would just seem to me that using a program that is already natively coded for Puppy would fewer system resources than having to run a simulator to run a program that is virtually identical to something that is already available that doesn't need an emulator/simulator. Of course I have a relative that managed to get MSIE7 to run Mepis, though why anyone would want to do that I don't know.
As a windows refugee, the first few times I tried to set up Bible Desktop or BibleTime, I got hopelessly lost. I'd like to try them all, but having spent a fair bit of time and effort setting up everything else on the computer, I don't want to try something else (churchpup) and mess everything else up!

I know this reflects more on my lack of knowledge than the worth of ChurchPup - which I have a copy of on CD.

Could you write a short tutorial on how to get BibleDesktop up and running?

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Barq's

e-Sword

#17 Post by Barq's »

I am having a rough time getting this to work, I keep getting the fatal error must close message each time I start e-sword. I ran the dependencies checker in the package manager and it came back with;
File /usr/lib/wine/wldap32.dll.so has these missing library files: libldap_r-2.4.so.2 liblber-2.4.so.2

File /usr/lib/wine/glu32.dll.so has these missing library files: libGLU.so.1
Can anybody tell me what these mean and what I can do about it?

Also is there some way to un-install wine and e-sword entirely so I can start over?

tom4jesus

Re: I'll stick with e-Sword for now

#18 Post by tom4jesus »

bones01 wrote:
KF6SNJ wrote:While I can appreciate the desire to run e-Sword under Wine on Puppy, I am at a loss as to why. I say this for we already have ChurchPup which comes with BibleDesktop
...I know this reflects more on my lack of knowledge than the worth
of ChurchPup - which I have a copy of on CD. ...
Bones
I have followed the Chuchpup thread for quite awhile and unfortunately it is an outdated project that has not really been worked on in a couple years.

Besides all the great points about e-sword already cited I would add that there are shareware modules available with many copywrited commentaries and bible versions for e-sword that are not available from the Sword-project that is the basis for all Linux Bible software. I have purchased a few and they really are worth while.
I use e-sword in both windows and Linux preferring it to the Linux options.
xiphos is nice under Ubuntu but I have not successfully used it in puppy.
ttuuxxx has some of the Linux bible software on his livingwaters pup that work well, however, like Churchpup it is rather outdated (at least 2 years I think) and an update to the newer version of puppy for the base that was supposed to happen never materialized.

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

Also is there some way to un-install wine and e-sword entirely so I can start over?
You should be able to use Wine's equivalent of the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" to remove e-sword, then uninstall Wine using petget (assuming you installed it as a .pet). I doubt there is any point in that though, as I don't think those are your problem. And even if you did need to reinstall Wine, I suspect that you wouldn't need to uninstall E-sword - you would either need to get the dependencies, or possibly a different package of Wine that doesn't depend on them.

IIRC libGLU is part of OpenGL.
I think the other two both come from libopenldap. I don't seem to have them, so I think at least my version of E-sword doesn't need wldap32.dll.so, and I also doubt that it needs glu32.dll.so

What is the actual message you get when you try to start e-sword?
When you try to start it from a terminal, what error messages are output to the terminal?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jim1911

#20 Post by Jim1911 »

@Barq's
Please run the code env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe" in a console and post your output.

Also, what pup are you running? What version of Wine?

@disciple
I really appreciate your post. We need your help with Wine.
Jim