Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 01:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Manual remaster - GUI, no command line
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
gortonc

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 08:34    Post subject:  

Thank you rj. I knew there had to be a place to download the pets from, but is there no way to configure ppm to not delete them once they are installed, or to delay installation so they can be copied first?

Pfind yields 24 files when I search on abiword. I assume I need to delete them all?

Yes! I am definitely interested in your two files! I have tried following the directions on another thread using the remove_buildins (sic) package and then the puppy remaster tool, but but only produced bad cd's. kept getting out of memory kernel panic.

I understand from Bary's blog that woof will soon be released to work with 5.1+ and hope that is my ultimate solution. I just keep trying to climb the learning curve.

Chris
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 09:20    Post subject:  

gortonc wrote:
Thank you rj. I knew there had to be a place to download the pets from, but is there no way to configure ppm to not delete them once they are installed, or to delay installation so they can be copied first?

Pfind yields 24 files when I search on abiword. I assume I need to delete them all?

Yes! I am definitely interested in your two files! I have tried following the directions on another thread using the remove_buildins (sic) package and then the puppy remaster tool, but but only produced bad cd's. kept getting out of memory kernel panic.

I understand from Bary's blog that woof will soon be released to work with 5.1+ and hope that is my ultimate solution. I just keep trying to climb the learning curve.

Chris

"Configure ppm to not delete"?
Not that I am aware of.

Delete all the abiword files?
I don't really know until I try it.
If I delete too much and it corrupts the install; I boot the live cd and
rerun the full install from universal installer.
I choose the "upgrade" option instead of "wipe", and it restores my
previous setup.

I'll post instructions on how I do the remaster later.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2010, 17:42    Post subject:  

if you ever want to remove a preinstalled package, you can just re-install it first directly from the repository (ibiblio or a mirror) and then remove it using PPM
antiloquax

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2012, 07:46    Post subject:  

Thanks so much for this Technosaurus! I got myself in a bit of a pickle last night as I seem to have broken the simple Puppy remaster tool. This works a treat.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 19:42    Post subject: Clear steps to manually Remaster a running Puppy  

This is a very clear write-up in a step by step lead. Thanks for this, @technosaurus.

This points out why the Remaster tool in Puppy could use a little touch-up.

greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2012, 18:36    Post subject:  

I am trying to closely follow the tutorial steps but when I copy the mounted pup.sfs to the newbuild folder the filesystem directories seem intact but I get over 3000 errors and none of the symlinks have been copied (as well as possibly some other files that it calls "special files"). I am assuming the loss of symlinks is going to impact on the final product so did not go any further yet. (I am working with pUPnGO_2012 sfs and trying to remaster in Akita 8.)

There must be something basic I am missing?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 13:13    Post subject:  

It's been a while, but I tested by dragging a dropping between 2 rox windows and it handled everything fine.
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan 2013, 14:22    Post subject:  

I'm stabbing in the dark a bit here - but I have a gut feeling from some of my googling that I may have a problem with "dereferencing" - the symlinks are being copied across as the actual original file (which explains some of the other "cant copy special file" and "do you wish to overwrite" issues I'm getting as well I think). I see references to using the -P (capital P) argument and saw a vague comment about the level of core-utils. I've now tried this process several times on different puppies and still having the same issues so I must assume it is something to do with the way I have my puppies set up. Will post back if I have any further info to offer.

EDIT:The problem seems to occur when I try to copy the mounted pup.sfs contents over to a usb partition (which is where I wanted to do the remaster as it has plenty of free space). If I copy the files to a directory in /root (which has insufficient space for me to do the remaster there..) the copy works fine and the symlinks are copied. I think I need to set up a system which has lots of room in /root and see how it goes doing everything in there.
Keef

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan 2013, 16:19    Post subject:  

Try copying the pupngo sfs to the USB drive first before mounting it. Once it is mounted you can delete it to save space if needed.
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan 2013, 15:08    Post subject:  

When I copy the sfs to the usb drive it will not let me mount it by clicking. It says "failed mount or unmount". I've switched to a machine that has plenty of space for a large savefile so am working in root only now.
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: