Wiki for puppy

News, happenings
Saturn

Wiki for puppy

#1 Post by Saturn »

Hey guys me and iguleder are thinking of trying to make a "Centralized" version of the puppy wiki but we need some helpful thoughts from the puppy community at large as to what to write about...
so far we thought of general usage tutorials such as file system usage and structure(how to use rox),setting up networks, changing various settings and compiling new programs for puppy with a how to on how to install Dev-x
basically a general centralized version of a on-line puppy encyclopedia .

so if you guys would me and Iguleder would appreciate it if you guys would be so kind if you folks abroad would pitch in and help us come up new articles and such

we are looking to having a team of puppy users create 3 beginning chapters as to the general how-to of how to do basic tasks on puppy

They are as i described and we can sure use some help with filling in the missing spots such as more advanced topics

anyone can join in on the fun as long as you can show what you are saying actually works (no offense guys) and that you write the articles in a pleasant,professional and civil manner

The resource i have just installed can be found at:
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/puppydocs

Also
we could use some custom graphics and coding for the wiki

any help at all is and will certainly appreciated

Thank you guys for taking out your valued time by reading this forum post
and thanks for helping in any manner in advance

Have a blessed day

Iguleder

#2 Post by Iguleder »

Let's share my thoughts too :wink:

The general idea is a big "Puppy Linux for Dummies"-style wiki, which has a table of contents. We want 3 chapters: beginner, intermediate and advanced.

The first chapter will cover the daily usage of Puppy: how to run stuff, how to perform certain tasks, how to install PETs and SFSs and an introduction to the forums and the IRC channel (how to get support and software from the forum). Also, this chapter will cover the Puppy development model and how to interact with the community.

The second chapter will teach the user how to set up the network, how to configure the system to the tiny details, how to keep the system performant, how to use save files efficiently, how to gain control of Puppy and how to do all sorts of advanced things, including a brief introduction to the console with common commands (cp, rm, du, etc').

The third chapter will teach the user how to compile software, how to install the devx module, how to create puplets (remastering/Woof), how to do all sorts of nifty tricks, how to compile a custom kernel, how to install additional drivers, etc'.

We want the encyclopedia to include screenshots, comments and all additional information users might be interested in. A good example is the "cp" command article - valuable additional information is the "-a" parameter. The whole thing will be written in simple English, so anyone can understand it.

The articles list is still open, these are just important topics we want to write about.

Basically, this is open to everyone who wants to join, but bear in mind that the encyclopedia will be closed (i.e you won't see the "edit" thing) in the wiki, when we finish it, all changes will be made manually by us, the writing team, to protect against trolls and all sorts of stupid people.

You don't have to write a book, even a tiny comment in some article is a great help. We just need people who want to contribute, the knowledge and expertise will come as more people join.

Thanks for reading. :)

raffy

URL

#3 Post by raffy »

How about using a puppylinuxwiki domain to make finding it super-easy?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Saturn

#4 Post by Saturn »

ya i would do that except i have no funds at the current moment
need at least eight dollars

Saturn

Update

#5 Post by Saturn »

cheers guys a donor has given me mypuppylinuxwiki.com and will be up in few days

thanks!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Saturn writes in a private message
that he was unaware that we had a wiki
- must rectify that

Here it is

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/
much work to do there

many older pages can be found here and added to the new wiki
http://pupweb.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#7 Post by Iguleder »

The existing wiki is kinda messy, better start a new one, under a new domain.

We're better start a new wiki and write everything from scratch.

Saturn

I second the notion!

#8 Post by Saturn »

ya not to mention that most of the information is empty and incomplete
not to mention messy like Iguleder says

anyways our goal is to provide through, complete documentation on how to accomplish certain tasks,any tasks needed to help the end user get the full use and enjoyment of puppy

honestly not to offend but I DO NOT SEE The wikii going in that direction after browsing it last night although it very well could with some effort

plus it looks plain and won't have example code and pictures like mine

you,lobster and raffy can help if you would like and your knowledge would be greatly appreciated and of great use

you can do a wikii but i want something better for the community and I'm not saying that all the articles are watered down or incomplete as i have not looked over a majority of them just a scant few but we should be trying our best to provide the best content that is easy to understand for everyone

and again I do not mean to offend anyone in anyway shape or form ,this is just how i see things

Maybe we can gather and take all of the guides and tutorials from the forum,and other various places and put it in one central place as i have described

if you guys have any other suggestions for this, let me know

Thanks

and oh BTW the domain for this wikki will be mypuppywikii.com when it's up

and do please give me and Iguleder some feed back as to the design and layout of the site and such it would be much appreciated

again, Thanks

and have a blessed day!

Iguleder

#9 Post by Iguleder »

I opened a new topic for discussion about this.

If you wish to contribute or read more, go here -> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53258

Thank you :)

droope

#10 Post by droope »

Cheers on your new enterprise! :D

My 0.2 cents:

I wouldn't recommend building a wiki from scratch. Starting from scratch does not solve anything, and creates even more problems.

Otherwise, information will not be centralized... and will have to be reunited in the future.

Our current wiki has lots of content, is lightweight, easily editable and well positioned (google-wise). Why not update/organize current wiki?
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

[url=http://droope.wordpress.com/]Mi blog[/url] (Spanish)

droope

#11 Post by droope »

Should we rewrite from scratch?

Joel Spolsky said no. (back in 2000) referring to why Netscape died.

Do we want to be netscape? :D
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

[url=http://droope.wordpress.com/]Mi blog[/url] (Spanish)