Introducing Bruno Puplet

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Bligh

#46 Post by Bligh »

Thanks, I don't know what happened, that is why i asked for help. I had the puppy files in sub directories and created the Bruno files on a similar laptop because Bruno would not boot on 256 mb ram and swap file. Then I copied the Bruno files to the old laptop and it booted. It appears that the sfs files got crossed somehow. I will make some smaller savefiles and try some different scenarios.
Cheers

musher0

#47 Post by musher0 »

Hello, BigMike.

Pursuant to our PM "conversation", I do NOT have the file saving problem in Oo-dev.

What I do have, however, is a partial listing of files in Oo when opening a document. The documents whose filenames have accents in them appear as with a blank as the filename and with a count of 0 byte.

This touches on another problem, which is that the locales for some of the localized programs are not recognized and still appear in English.

I realize localization can take a lot of time, and I'm not even asking. But if there was a way to make Bruno localization-ready, it would be a great gesture for the rest of us ! An advanced user could take it from there and incorporate the *.mo files for his/her language into Bruno. I know there is such a package for French, and maybe there are some others, such as for Brazilian Portuguese, etc.

As you can see from the attached jpg, Abiword appears localized, but notecase does not, even if I have the proper notecase.mo file in usr/share/locale/fr_CA/LC_messages. Also in the picture, it says that GTK is reverting to the default locale, which appears to be C. That message is Martian to me, but maybe it will tell you something!

Finally, is it possible to have the latest Abiword (2.8.2, I believe) in your next upgrade? The advantage would be that the 2.8.x series Abiwords can read docx documents without a blink.

Again, congrats for the good work and keep it up! :-)
Attachments
localisation_incomplete.jpg
Incomplete localization in Bruno.
(138.13 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#48 Post by musher0 »

Just for fun, maybe we should start a thread entitled: "My Bruno is more beautiful than yours! :lol:

Original res. of the attached is 1280x1024. It has a rox-panel at the bottom with the rox menu at the bottom right. I put Puppy's desktop icons there.

The jwm bar is still there, but hidden at the top. (Do you see that line at the very top? That's it! It expands when you bring your cursor to it!.) :-)

Have fun! BFN.
Attachments
my_Bruno1.jpg
(100.55 KiB) Downloaded 770 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

calexand

xf-prot

#49 Post by calexand »

Sorry if this has already been posted, couldn't find it... Cannot get xf-prot to work, gives a message regarding it can'r locate version number and quits. Any help for this one? Thank in advance!
CA

calexand

Thank for a truly wonderful Puplet!

#50 Post by calexand »

I forgot to mention this in my earlier Post... But, thank you for your work and the Puppy! Is my current OS replacing both Windows XP and Linux Mint.
CA

musher0

#51 Post by musher0 »

Hi, all!

If you're using the Dougal remaster script to remaster Puppy Bruno, beware !

The Dougal remaster script uses the form "pup_$pupversion" for the name of the sfs file. This, with Puppy Bruno, creates a problem, because the name of the sfs file in Bruno is "pup-431".

Maybe this happens with other puppies of the 431 series, I don't know.

To get around this in Bruno, you need to rename the sfs file at the THIRD panel of the Dougal remaster script -- the one where it says that the iso is "almost ready" and asks you if you want to modify the isolinux.cfg file.

To do that, leave this third panel open, and go to your /mnt/a_certain_disk/puppylivecdbuild directory and rename pup_431.sfs to pup-431.sfs. That's it. Come back to the isolinux config panel, edit it if you want or need to, and then click ok. Your iso file will then be formed correctly, and you will be able to boot from it once you've burned it on your CD/DVD/miniDVD.

If the name of the sfs file remains "pup_431", vmlinuz can't boot it, and you're faced with a very limited black console and no Puppy.

This does not happen with BK's remaster script.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Bamoset

4.3 Remaster

#52 Post by Bamoset »

Hi musher0,

The SFS naming problem has been corrected. See "Remastering 4.3 Final with Dougal's Pupremaster" http:www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46739. Also, with this script you don't have to manually move files from root to /tmp/root like you do with the BK script to carry your added applications into the remaster. I have had trouble with CUPS in remasters made with the BK script. CUPS works as it should in the remaster when using the modified pupremaster script.

Bamoset

kelvinleow

Problem with Bruno Puppy Full Installation on IDE Harddisk

#53 Post by kelvinleow »

When bootup from the IDE harddisk, the USB are not detected, and it gives some lib error of USB.

Somehow only the Full Installation has this error.

The CD version, or others do not have this error.
Cheers!

nandor

I can't mount my usb drive under the OS

#54 Post by nandor »

Hello everybody,
My bruno pupplet is very good only two problems with it. When I plug an USB drive under the OS using the mounting tool Pmount I can mount it, and I can't hide the tray with JWM( they says new config corupt, keeping original). Otherwise no problem all things rule OK.
I use Asus EEEPC 701
Thanks for the helps:
Nandor

musher0

Re: 4.3 Remaster

#55 Post by musher0 »

Bamoset wrote:Hi musher0,

The SFS naming problem has been corrected. See "Remastering 4.3 Final with Dougal's Pupremaster" http:www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46739. Also, with this script you don't have to manually move files from root to /tmp/root like you do with the BK script to carry your added applications into the remaster. I have had trouble with CUPS in remasters made with the BK script. CUPS works as it should in the remaster when using the modified pupremaster script.

Bamoset
Hello, Bamoset.

Sorry for the late reply, I don't always get notified of new posts, for some reason.

Many thanks for the reference to the improved Dougal remastering script. This is very good news..

All the best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

calexand

How does one update Firefox, 3.6.4, Opera 10.10 and Flash 10

#56 Post by calexand »

How would a person update FF, Opera and Flash in Bruno? I have searched somewhat and can find no matching replies to such queries?
Thanks in advance and thanks for such a workable Pup!
CA

musher0

#57 Post by musher0 »

Hi, calexand.

In Bruno or any other puppy you can use the "puppy search engine" :)
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
and type for ex. "opera 10.10"

or there is the news page for new packages at
http://puppylinux.org/news/petstests/

(towards the middle of the page, after the official puppies and the puppy derivatives).

You already know this one, since you've written here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/search.php
and search for your subject of interest.

Obviously, any major search engine with, for ex., "opera 10.10 (or whatever your program) puppylinux"

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

calexand

#58 Post by calexand »

Christian,
Thank you for the quick reply and the info! Adding/updating Opera and Flash worked like a charm and FF updated itself, as well!
Thanks again for the most useful Puppies around and your help/links.
calexand

the last saviour

#59 Post by the last saviour »

Thank Mike for your good pupplet. I hope you don't mind some problem I got a month ago.

As I do not want to save session for Puppy, I have often used Bruno as my default Puppy for some reason.
1 I don't have to add Tahoma to show Thai language.
2 Wine in Bruno let me use some application easily, Freez_FLV2MP3 and Xilisoft Audio converter.

But every time to want to listen to music I must setup ALSA Sound Wizard. I did setup many time without any problem. But last month I opened one folder of MP3 to listen, Then I found that I hadn't setup the sound card yet. So I began to setup ALSA but I pressed ENTER (or maybe Del button which is very near), after the sentence 'Building Card Database' appear. Then I found the MP3 folder looks like the picture. Not only this folder can't be deleted. Whenever I access this folder, other folders are automatically locked too (cannot delete). Or that is virus?
Attachments
crash.jpg
(79.53 KiB) Downloaded 548 times

Colonel Panic

#60 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just downloaded Bruno 2.0 and am posting from it now.

I wanted one last hurrah at the 4.31 Puppy series and Bruno is based on 4.31, and also it has Wine (which I want) installed and set up with a number of apps. It also has a nice green theme and a clock and calendar similar to Boxpup's.

So far it's running well and seems a very creditable effort. The only downside so far is that Firefox Bon Echo crashed a couple of times, so I'm posting this from Firefox 4 for Windows running in Wine (which it does very well).

A good job you've done here Mike, so thanks.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.