Alsa dies after a while

Please post any bugs you have found
PaulBx1

Alsa dies after a while

#1 Post by PaulBx1 »

I'm running Lupu 511 on an Intel D510MO motherboard.

I have this strange problem (don't see it described in other threads) where my sound goes away after a while. By "after a while" I mean after leaving the system on overnight, or maybe after running a lot of youtubes. Actually what happens, is that when it dies, running youtubes give off harsh, repetitive sounds.

It seemed for a while that I could get it going properly again by doing "/etc/init.d/alsa stop" followed by "/etc/init.d/alsa start". But recently that does not work, nor does rebooting. Now I have to go through the alsa setup script to recover. I always take all defaults.

These are the "sound cards" it finds:
hda-intel (Intel Corp N10/ICH 7 Family...) 8086:27D8
legacy (Probe: legacy ISA (non-PNP) chips
usb-audio (Override: USB Sound Device)
aoa (Override: Apple Onboard Audio)

I wonder what these other things are. I doubt there is more than the intel chip.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me chase down this problem? Or should I give up and upgrade to 5.2? Are there alsa upgrades in that revision, from what is in 5.1.1? I'd rather not upgrade if I can help it because I'd have to reinstall a lot of stuff (I did a big remaster to get where I am).

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have a DIY box made with the D510MO mobo and it shows the same sound cards. Are you running yours fanless? Maybe it's overheating.

postfs1

#3 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#4 Post by PaulBx1 »

Can't be overheating:
1) Typically see this after leaving the machine on at night, when nothing is going on and the room is the coolest.
2) I've checked temp on this box. Though running fanless, it is usually running very cool, probably because little is going on (no compiling, etc.)
3) Assuming it was overheating, re-running alsa setup wouldn't fix anything, because it still would be hot.'

I'm guessing some resource gets used up, some memory leak or buffer filled up or something like that. It's very strange that a reboot doesn't clear it. I should try a power-down reboot next time.
This problem can be solved by means of usage the CD for booting.
How do you figure? Anyway my box does not have a CD in it. I have to boot from flash drive.
I have a DIY box made with the D510MO mobo
I'm assuming you don't see the problem. What Puppy are you running, and what alsa?

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

I'm using Quirky 1.3 with 512 MB. I can watch flash videos for 30 minutes without problems.

postfs1

#6 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.