ADSL2 won't connect .[Solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

ADSL2 won't connect .[Solved]

#1 Post by tytower »

I searched around everywhere for an hour but did not really get anything useful

I'm using a GPRS modem to connect atm and just got ADSL2 put on.
I used the setup page and took pppoe choice , entered in the required stuff ,turned off the gprs connection ,set up Roaring Penguin and phisically removed gprs too .

Roaing Penguin gives a series of one second dots across the screen and then says

Code: Select all

................TIMED OUT
/usr/sbin/pppoe-start: line 193:  4034 Terminated              $CONNECT "$@" > /dev/null 2>&1

Press ENTER key to continue: 
The Status report gave

Code: Select all

pppoe-status: Link is down (can't read pppoe PID file /var/run/pppoe.conf-pppoe.pid.pppoe)

Press ENTER key to continue: 

anyone know whats happening here?
Last edited by tytower on Tue 01 Jan 2013, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

xan

#2 Post by xan »

Hello, I don't understand anything you said. Maybe you can teach me to use a gprs modem one day, but ADSL modem is easy.

In main Puppy menu go to Set-up and Internet Connection Wizard.
Then choose "Internet by wired or wireless LAN"

Then if you choose the Simple Network Wizard then it might detect everything automatically and you can use internet.

If it doesn't then choose the network wizard and choose eth0 if that is the one connected to your modem. Then choose AutoDHCP, or if you prefer you can set up a static IP.

tytower

#3 Post by tytower »

Done all that my friend with no luck
GPRS is even easier

saintless

#4 Post by saintless »

This information is not puppy related but since it is linux you might find your answer there. Hope it helps:
https://www.linux.com/community/forums/ ... are-in-lan
http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... %20Adapter
http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/PPPoE ... sc-20.html

xan

#5 Post by xan »

I'm sorry it didn't work.

I'm not technical with Linux, but I found it really easy to connect Puppy with ADSL. All I did was attach ethernet cable between modem and notebook pc. If the modem is setup properly then the network wizard works automatically. I have also set mine up manually with static IP.

If you give your modem model and ISP then I might be able to suggest setup. Can you access the modem's interface with your web browser?

Also, in the console you can run ifconfig and it will show your available interfaces.

tytower

#6 Post by tytower »

xan wrote:If you give your modem model and ISP then I might be able to suggest setup. Can you access the modem's interface with your web browser?.
Thats interesting - How do I access it in the browser? How do I find its address?

The router is a Netgear DM111P but I am also trying a DLink G604T
Supplier is TPG and they have a pretty comprehensive technical help coverage if you can bear sitting through it all.

The though also occured to me that if they have not set it up right on their end yet what error messages might I expect . Would it look the same as this is?

xan

#7 Post by xan »

With the Netgear you use the following IP address in the browser:
Username: admin
Password: password

With the Dlink it may depend on the model version:
or
Username: admin
Password: admin

Also, if you could please run ifconfig at the command prompt and copy the output here.

tytower

#8 Post by tytower »

OK Im good thanks very much.

When I reset my modem I was able to get the modem by firstly running Barrys automatic DHCP and then entering "http://192.168.0.1" in the browser URL bar brought up the user/password entry form and this let me in with user " admin" and password "password" and it then gave me an option to connect which I took and voila !!

Got the second DLink operational too the same way Barrys auto DHCP first then" 10.1.1.1" in browser then when asked user :admin password: admin

Good stuff - again thanks
Last edited by tytower on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

xan

#9 Post by xan »

Glad to hear that you have it going now. I'm sure you will enjoy ADSL compared to GPRS.